aikido wake up!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nicholls

aikido wake up!!

Post by Nicholls »

Tanto Waza is a wonderful art. Try going up against somebody trained in steel cuts flesh reality training if you want ckeck out self defense in the street.
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

What?
What exactly is the point of this post?

Sirius
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

Double post...

Edited by - Sirius on 10/15/2001 9:00:24 AM
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sirius:

Please see the "defense against the blade" thread on the General Information forum.

Stay safe,

mike j
Nicholls

Post by Nicholls »

Sorry Sirius, I'm new at this. Mike's reply will help.

In Aiki,
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Ive been doing akido for a number of years, the movements you learn in my opinion will be very useful against an attacker armed with a blade, in my opinion arts such as akido would be the best opposed to arts like kick boxing, karate and so on where force is involved, its the way to go for up close self defence.

Seeya

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
Nicholls

Post by Nicholls »

MaNcER,

How much "Tanto Waza" does your sensei teach?
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Hi Nich

He teches with the use of Tanto quite often actually, we do a fair amount of practise with the attacker coming with a Tanto.

Id say we practise withit atleast every 2 lessons (actually as far as I can remember we've always gone through it)

Seeya

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
zatoichi

Post by zatoichi »

This has nthing to do with aikido, but during my Brazilian JiuJitsu training, my friend, Rocian Gracie, taught me a remarkable numbe of moves against knives. Don't think of it as knife grappling because that's just WAY 2 dangerous! It's more like being attacked, and using an aikido lock with a judo throw, immediately followed by a submission (arm lock, chock, cross chock, take yer pik) Highly interesting especially if you're practicing the technique as a single, solid movement.....
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

This is not mine - it comes from a friend at another forum, but I believe it holds true here:

For real world self-defense with the open or empty hand, consider the circular, soft and indirect arts such as Judo, Tai Chi and Aikido.

Judo and Tai Chi help a person rediscover his or her natural movement.
My 13 year old Judoka son can make anyone in the world who attacks him fall down hard, at least once.
A reasonbly competent Tai Chi player can frustrate an athletic attacker for quite awhile.
Aikido teaches very real techniques for resisting fnger, wrist, elbow and shoulder locks so often utilized by police and kidnappers.
All three teach many life analogies that will increase awareness and provide valuable verbal and behavioral skills for avoiding violence.
All three include good techniques or mind-sets for escaping violence after it has started.
None of the three will enable the player to win a fight, unless he has studied for 15 or 20 years, and then he will not feel the need to win the fight.

Judo and especially Aikido require good teachers.
Few and far between.

Sirius
Formerly Nervous

Post by Formerly Nervous »

I would say that from my personal expierences... Akido is an exceptional art for self defense.. it is very very effective and a very powerful art.. the draw back is it takes many many years to be truly proficent in it... ive studied for about 5years.. and havent even graced the 'meat' of what it has to offer..
As to the statement of a 13yo dropping anyone.. often times Akido and even Judo are touted as being methods that dont requior strength. That they are excellent for women and children as a self defense... PLEASE dont be misled by that notion!! I worked in Corrections for 3yrs and on partol for 2.. I used Akido and Judo almost every day..in one way or anoter.. and I can tell you from expierence.. trying to manupulate or manover some one into a joint manipulation does requior a harmony of strength and skill(and knowledge being part of the skill)... if you dont belive this... try this.. if your familiar with Akido.. you know that Sankeo (sp?? its been a while) and Kodagashi are two of the most basic and the more widely used locks (second to nekeo probably) ... have your wife or adolecent perform the lock properly on you.. teach then how to do it right untill they can actually inflict the expected pain. Then, have them perform the lock whith you being beligerant. stiffen your arm.. jerk your arm from their grasp.. "out muscle" them.. i thik you will see that strength plays a very harmonious role even in the "flowing arts"