Centofante III

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
raja

Centofante III

Post by raja »

I'm looking for a knife between the sizes of the Delica and Endura for less than $50. It will be used for every day use. The Centofante III looks like one of the few choices. I'm concerned about the strength of the blade due to it's thinness and would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
poodle

Post by poodle »

dont be concerned its the best knife i own
ront

Post by ront »

Hi raja,
Welcome to the forums. Glad you are here!! Hope you have a enjoyable time here. There are lot's of great people here.
Have you looked at the Native? It is a very nice knife. If you have a Wal-Mart near you that carries them, it will cost you about $40. It has a FRN handle with S30V steel blade. It is a GREAT knife for the money.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20

Ron
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Well, it depends on what you want to use it for. If you do encounter some prying in your normal knife use (Highly not reccomeded BTW), then maybe a slightly thicker blade is for you. But if all your knife will see is cutting/slicing, the thinner blade is actually a blessing. If you want a thicker blade, a delica or a native would be great choices. The walmart native is a great deal, awesome egros, awesome steel for a steal!

Maybe also to consider: Salt 1, Meadowlark, Crow.
The last two are byrds, but the byrd line is an amazing bang for the buck. Definately worth looking at if you are on a limited budget.
raja

centofante III

Post by raja »

Thanks for your replies. I have a Delica and an Endura; the handle on the Delica seems too small but the Endura is too large for me to use in an office, so I'm looking for a handle about 4.5 " long.

It will only be used for cutting.

Thanks
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Howdy raja, and welcome to the forum :)

I REALLY love the thin blade of the Centofante, it cuts beyond belief. Even when I gets a little dull, the thin profile works to a great cutting advantage (of course, mine don't stay dull for long :rolleyes: :p )
mnblade

Post by mnblade »

A few months back I won a Centofante III for a great price on an online auction. Like you, I was looking for a knife between the sizes of the Delica and Endura. I LOVE the looks of the Cento III and that cool silver spydie, and the thinner blade, to me, is a blessing. HOWEVER, even after all my drooling over pics of the knife online, when I was able to handle the knife I noticed two things that hadn't struck me before (one not so important, one moreso):

First, the cutting edge goes nearly all the way to the base of the blade. Not a big deal except that it ruled out one-handed closing of the knife the way I've always done it, which is to position a finger in front of the tang, depress the lock with my thumb and flip the blade closed a bit; then move my index finger out of the path of the blade and close it the rest of the way. With this method, I can close any Spydie lockback one-handed quickly and nearly effortlessly.

Now the less important factor I didn't like: The opening hole seemed positioned a bit low when the knife is closed, making it hard for me to open one-handed (this didn't concern me that much because I know I would have gotten used to it eventually).

Anyway, I eventually sold the knife for a slight profit and got a Delica instead. YMMV.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha and welcome raja,

I say go for it. The cento III is one of my favorite :spyder: 's...

God bless :cool:
Attachments
cento3.jpg
cento3.jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

[quote="mnblade"]First, the cutting edge goes nearly all the way to the base of the blade. Not a big deal except that it ruled out one-handed closing of the knife the way I've always done it, which is to position a finger in front of the tang, depress the lock with my thumb and flip the blade closed a bit]

The Cento III is a lockback. It's earlier sibling was a compression lock. Some say they had "issues". Mine never has. To me, that makes the Vesuvius superior to the Cento III. You hold the knife in normal grip to disengage the lock and there is plenty of tang to close it as you describe. If you want a Cento III but want to close it one handed, see if you can find a Vesuvius out there somewhere. I love mine!

(EDIT - not sure, I don't have a Cento III but, from Chad's photo, it also looks like my Vesuvius has a larger hole than his Cento III. I'd thought they were exactly the same so maybe it's the photo?)

Ken
玉鋼
Steelman

Post by Steelman »

I have to agree with Kbuzbee on this one. The compression lock is a nice feature to be able to close one handed. If you can find one without the inlay it should be less expensive. Good luck.

:spyder: Collector #132 :cool:

Custom Avatar by DiAlex
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Those look GREAT! Too bad they (are those Santa Fe??) sacraficed the silver :spyder: . I'm sure cutting the hole for it would have doubled the price though. Mine looks like the Cento III pics with the :spyder: on the handle. It's very cool too.

Ken
玉鋼
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Cool pic SM. Every time I see those beauts it makes me want to get a pair myself :cool:
Daywalker, that Mountain Dew can didn't stand a chance. That pic reminds me of the Ginsu knife commercials where they cut a can in half and then slice a tomato clean as a whistle :D BTW nice photo :cool:
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Steelman

Post by Steelman »

Hi Ken,

My understanding is the Vesuvius inlay was a production run, however not sure who did the inlay part. They are really cool looking knives that are pretty stout.
:spyder: Collector #132 :cool:

Custom Avatar by DiAlex
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

BTW and a bit off topic but love your new avatar SM!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Simple Man wrote:Just to save retyping....

http://66.113.178.251/forums/showpost.p ... stcount=14
Excellant. As I said, it will surely do anything I'm likely to throw at it. And it fits, feels, carries and cuts like a true pro.

ATS-34 has fallen from the vundersteel catagory but it's really a very nice offering. My first really good knives (many years ago) were 440C. The second wave were ATS-34 and I liked them so much. It will always have a special place (especially with the Vesuvius in my pocket! :D

Ken
玉鋼
ront

Post by ront »

Very nice knives Steelman!!

Ron
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

kbuzbee wrote:Those look GREAT! Too bad they (are those Santa Fe??) sacraficed the silver :spyder: . I'm sure cutting the hole for it would have doubled the price though. Mine looks like the Cento III pics with the :spyder: on the handle. It's very cool too.

Ken
They are actually regular production versions of the first variation of the Vesuvius. This version had the compression lock. I believe the second variation had a gray/MOP-ish inlay before the current version (III) was introduced.

Check out these pre-production samples. Scanned by James Mattis, many many moons ago.

Wouter
Attachments
SPYDERCO Vesuvius Handle Choices.jpg
SPYDERCO Vesuvius Handle Choices.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

Steelman wrote:Hi Ken,

My understanding is the Vesuvius inlay was a production run, however not sure who did the inlay part. They are really cool looking knives that are pretty stout.

The inlaid Vesuvius' were done by Spyderco, they were sold both with the blue shell inlay and the paladium "bug".

Bruceter
poodle

Post by poodle »

i like the knife so much i brought the thread back