Native....lock seems very light

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hy

Native....lock seems very light

Post by hy »

I was playing with my FRN Native today and the lock feels very light....it releases without much pressure, comparatively.Is this a standard feature or is there something wrong with it? I compared it to my FRN Calypso Jr and it took more pressure to depress the Calypso's lock. IS that normal?
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

Hi Hy,I just bought my native today and it's true,i explain:The locking bar is much longer than calypso or other then the pressure required is more light(lever action) than a shorter one(compare the lock button and the lenght of the locking bar).The native is probably my best medium knife:
-comfortably great grip
-good steel
-tip up
-beautiful shape and false edge
-textured spine and humpless(it is uncommon)
-two fingers choils
-made in the USA!(best finish than a japanese spydie)
one bad thing to say:stampless ricasso(i know it is due to the steel)

DON'T WORRY WITH HARPY!
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

G'day Hy,

I don't have a FRN Native but the lock of my blue G10 Native is also much lighter than my other lock-backs. I think it is because the Native is made in Golden and the design and spring used is different from those produced in Seki City. Having seen reports of Spyderco's lock testing machine, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
BladeMaster

Post by BladeMaster »

I've used my Native (partially serrated/ FRN) for some time and the lock is fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

The BladeMaster
-PROUD TO BE AMERICAN-
hy

Post by hy »

Thanks for the feedback......the native IS my favourite medium knife......i like it way more than my calypso jr
Lt.Hawkins

Post by Lt.Hawkins »

blue G10 Native? i'm interested!
hy

Post by hy »

Lt Hawkins, I think the G10 native is either the BF one or the limited sprint run currently sold through the sfo.

Edited by - hy on 10/8/2001 4:36:08 AM
cutler34

Post by cutler34 »

I am on my 3rd Native.I find the vertical blade play gets worse as the knife wears.
I'm not sure if it's the blade pivot or the lock wearing prematurely but I'm looking to replace my left hand carry.
Anyone else notice this. Hold the knife open horizontally, with the cutting edge down. Now check for vertical blade play.

Regards
Ricki
info@outdooredge.com.au
Spyderco Club Member
scolby

Post by scolby »

Lt. Hawkins - I have a plain edge Blue G-10 Native if you are interested. Send me an email if you are.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur