Massad Ayoob

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Massad Ayoob

Post by catamount »

Just a heads up for anyone interested, there's a serrated one on ebay BIN for what looks to be a very good price.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Has anyone in the Forum actually ever carried/used an Ayoob? I just learned about it and think it's a very cool knife. But before taking (yet another) plunge, I'm wondering how it is for anything but SD/MBC purposes? A little help, please...
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the heads up Tom.....Let the madness begin! I wonder what the selling price will be..... :rolleyes:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Knifewing wrote:Has anyone in the Forum actually ever carried/used an Ayoob? I just learned about it and think it's a very cool knife. But before taking (yet another) plunge, I'm wondering how it is for anything but SD/MBC purposes? A little help, please...
It has a negative blade angle which also helps in pulling cuts.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Knifewing wrote:Has anyone in the Forum actually ever carried/used an Ayoob? I just learned about it and think it's a very cool knife. But before taking (yet another) plunge, I'm wondering how it is for anything but SD/MBC purposes? A little help, please...
I carried one for a few months, and it was quite fun to open boxes with ;) If you decide to get one, make sure it's one of the later models. The almite was slippery on the early models, but changed to a more matte finish(which is grippier) on the later ones.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I also understand it's a very large knife as well.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks for all the info. And for the tip, Scott, about the Almite. If I can find an Ayoob (and I may have located one), I'll watch for that. You guys are amazing sources of knowledge and experience.
JD Spydo

Ayoob> one of my favs

Post by JD Spydo »

I have 2 Massad Ayoob models. Both are in my "user arsenal". I carry the serrated one from time to time. I personally love the model. I now wish I hadn't sold the 3 others I had. I personally think that the Ayoob is a great knife to carry, to use. Also the angle of the blade I discovered makes it a great fish fillet knife too.

I think that the Ayoob model is a major sleeper. I think it will explode in value here with the next 14 to 16 months. They are already getting considerably tough to find.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Milu

Post by Milu »

I think it's an alltime great, a terrific user! What's the current market price for the Ayoob?
My father always taught me not to trust a man who was not interested in cars, guns and knives.
JD Spydo

Ayoob market

Post by JD Spydo »

Milu wrote:I think it's an alltime great, a terrific user! What's the current market price for the Ayoob?
Price-wise I have seen the Massad Ayoob all over the board. I have seen them go as low as $105 which is one I am still kicking myself for and I have seen another one go for above $195. I have even seen a couple of them break the $200 mark last spring. NOW THESE PRICES WERE FOR NEW IN BOX, Mint Condition models. I have seen used ones break the $100 mark easily.

But it's kind of weird because they seem to be silently drying up. I would say if a guy/gal wants a Massad Ayoob I would say you better not wait too long to snag one. I am personally going to be on the lookout for another PE and another SE for my own collection.

Boy wouldn't this be an "OH SO COOL" knife to bring back in ZDP-189
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Milu wrote:I think it's an alltime great, a terrific user! What's the current market price for the Ayoob?
I bought the one this thread tipped. Paid $110, didn't think it would last long at that price (I think I got a good deal). Got it today! Pretty nice shape, a little wear around edges. Clip has some wear, might swap it with my user Jess Horn ZDP's (appears to be exactly the same). Another one on ebay that looks very similar in condition with 5 days left is already up to $99. Mine had wrong box though, will post pics when I get a chance.
Intentionally Left Blank
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Mas's knife was designed with gun handlers in mind...The angle of the handle keeps the blade point straight out in alignment with the wrist...what does this mean? Using it for SD when thrusting..no adjustments need be made to compensate for the upsweep of the blade. In other words what you thrust at is what you hit...this is not true for other style curved blades...one would need to adjust the wrist position to be on target while thrusting....Holding a Ayoob is like holding a gun....Great Knife and as JD said they are becoming harder and harder to find...I will not part with mine...that's for sure....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Milu

Post by Milu »

The other one on ebay went for $102! A bargain. I'm holding on to my three.
My father always taught me not to trust a man who was not interested in cars, guns and knives.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

dedguy wrote:I also understand it's a very large knife as well.
About like a bent Police in size, which is slightly larger than an Endura if a person hasn't handled a Police. An endura is slightly larger than a Delica if a person hasn't handled an Endura. A Delica is about the same size as a Native, if a person hasn't handled a Delica. A Native is slightly smaller than a Persian, if a person hasn't handled a Persian. A persian is about the size of an Ayoob, if a person hasn't held a Persian. :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

zenheretic wrote:About like a bent Police in size, which is slightly larger than an Endura if a person hasn't handled a Police. An endura is slightly larger than a Delica if a person hasn't handled an Endura. A Delica is about the same size as a Native, if a person hasn't handled a Delica. A Native is slightly smaller than a Persian, if a person hasn't handled a Persian. A persian is about the size of an Ayoob, if a person hasn't held a Persian. :p
:D

Sounds like you got a good deal Gollum, congratulations on it. What're your opinions on it?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

JD Spydo

ERGO- Ayoob

Post by JD Spydo »

The only fault at all I can find with the original C-60 Massad Ayoob is that the handle could have stood to be a bit thicker and would have also faired better with a different handle material.

Other than that it is probably the most truly ergonomic knife Spyderco ever made. It truly does feel like you are holding a handgun when you hold it.

A smaller version would also be most interesting. :spyder:

Post by 5150 »

it's a great knife! unique design and feel to it, and the super build quality really manifests itself in it's solid grip...nice and slim for pocket carry too.
:spyder: :)