TAIYO Fixed Blade Knife TY01

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Huntinfool

TAIYO Fixed Blade Knife TY01

Post by Huntinfool »

What's the deal with imported fixed blades such as this one TAIYO Fixed Blade Knife TY01.

This knife doesn't look like a Spyderco at all I guess it's just something they imported. Any info on these critters?

As you guys can probably tell I've been researching and trying to learn as much as I can. Cramming is not good for ya I must get sleep! LOL! Now!

Chuck
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Just like a lot of the different folders that has popped up here lately with a question, this is a knife imported by Spyderco.

All Spyderco fixed blades has a SKU beggining with FBxx Whereas all folders made by Spyderco has a SKU beggining with Cxxx
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yep, at one time or another Spyderco imported and sold knifes by Taiyo, Tak Fugata, G. Sakai, Moki, Hiro and possibly other Seki makers as well.
Fairlane wrote: All Spyderco fixed blades has a SKU beggining with FBxx Whereas all folders made by Spyderco has a SKU beggining with Cxxx
Most, but not all. Some of the smaller folders (Ladybug and Jester, for example) don't use that numbering system, nor do the balisongs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dialex

Post by dialex »

I wasn't even aware of this one. But generally speaking, I'm not much into non Spydies. The only one that barely hit my interest was the Hotaru / Firefly. Oh, and the Solo Buttonlock - but it's Sal's creation after all, so it's understandable. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

The Deacon wrote:Yep, at one time or another Spyderco imported and sold knifes by Taiyo, Tak Fugata, G. Sakai, Moki, Hiro and possibly other Seki makers as well.
Most, but not all. Some of the smaller folders (Ladybug and Jester, for example) don't use that numbering system, nor do the balisongs.
I will stand corrected, Paul!

The smaller folders don't use that system. (Jester and Ladybug)
The Bali's dont use that system, they have: Bxx in the SKU.
The older Spyderco's don't have the Cxxx either, they have four digit numbers, like the Worker earliest model: 1001 in the 1990 catalogue.

In addition to those there are a few other different variants, experimental models for instance have CX xx SKU's and the Spyderwrench has T01.
The kitchen series used to have Kxx.

Henning.
sal

Post by sal »

Back in the day :rolleyes: Wile we were working with a number of makers in Seki-City, we thought to have each of them make a specific design of theirs and we imported them under the name of the maker or their company name.

Deacon has most of them listed.

There skill was very good and we thought it would be a good thing.

Taiyo was the company name of Mr. Nakamura. The Taiyo fixed blade was his offering. It is a very beautiful pieces.

As an aside, Mr. Nakamura worked with Kershaw for many years before he retired. Kershaw has a knife designed by and named after him.

sal
John F Jensen

Post by John F Jensen »

We always stocked everything Spyderco made or imported. The Taiyos are especially nice.

Here are pictures:
http://www.johnfjensen.com/acatalog/cat ... o%20Knives
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

John F Jensen wrote:We always stocked everything Spyderco made or imported. The Taiyos are especially nice.

Here are pictures:
http://www.johnfjensen.com/acatalog/cat ... o%20Knives
i can vouch for john's site. i have bought at least 10 knives from him and had no problems at all.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I've dealt with him as well and it was a flawless transaction!! ;)
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

I'll vouch for John as well. Excellent to do business with and great prices! He's actually got quite a few little gems in his discontinued Spydie section too!

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

John has always provided excellent service to me. I highly recommend his site!