A few questions about the Seki-City Japan facility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

A few questions about the Seki-City Japan facility

Post by Fred Sanford »

I just had a few questions about the Spyderco facility in Japan.

I don't even know if anyone can answer this but Spyderco employees but I figured what the heck. :)

1. Is there a big Spyderco sign on the building...or are the knives just "contracted" out to a company?

2. Do people in Japan love the Spyderco knives that are made there in Seki-City? You would think so. I don't know how Japan is about knives in general though.

3. I wonder if like the people that make the Spyderco knives in the Japan factory carry Spydies. Ya know, like the people at Spyderco in Golden, Colorado do?

Just a few crazy questions. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
catamount

Post by catamount »

Can't answer 2 or 3. As for #1, :spyder: doesn't have their own facility in Japan. Knives are contracted out to various companies in Seki City (the knifemaking center of Japan). :spyder: generally doesn't reveal which knives are made by which company, but the Ed Schempp Persian, for example, was made by Moki.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Ahh ok. Well thanks for that answer catamount. I appreciate it. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
spyderwa

Spyderco in Japan

Post by spyderwa »

Spyderco uses a number of companies in Seki City. Most of these factories are fairly small by U.S. standards with lots of subcontractors. G. Sakai, Moki, and Hiro are some of the names that have been connected to Spyderco production in the past. When you visit these factories in Japan you will find that most of the factories make knives for many different companies. It is a matter of matching the knife design to the factory. Because of this "cross-breeding" there is a hesitation by most in the knife industry to be very specific about sourcing. The G. Sakai name is rather curious though since the "G" stands for Gerber. Overall you will find a very high level of craftmanship and quality from any of the Seki City sources.
Regarding what the Japanese carry, I was rather surprised to find out that Japan is not a knife friendly country. Because of various events of the past there are restrictive knife laws in place. If you are a "foreigner" you are not even allowed to buy knives in Tokyo. Many people that need a knife will use the small disposable "break-away" blades that office stores sell. Those knives that I have seen people carry have tended towards the classic gentleman's knife. That is not to say that you can't find nice knives in Japan. In July of this year I found at least five nice knife stores in Tokyo. Very nice selection of knives ranging up to the custom-made U.S. knives. Spydercos are well represented along with other higher quality knives. Prices there tend to be full list as well. Because of the high prices it is not unusual to find knives in the stores that have been unavailable for many years in the U.S.
Seki City has a knife/sword history that goes back over 700 years. Each year they have a cutlery festival that is a lot of fun. I went there with expectations of finding all kinds of older knives and I was disapointed. Old stuff is hard to find. It is an interesting place to visit. Very expensive as well.

spyderwa
Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Wow. Thanks for the insight spyderwa! Very interesting. :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just curious....

Is it the same for the Byrd line that is made in China? For some reason I thought I read that Sal bought a "knock off" company in China because he got tired of seeing the Spyderco knock offs. True?? I have no idea.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

David Lowry wrote:Just curious....

Is it the same for the Byrd line that is made in China? For some reason I thought I read that Sal bought a "knock off" company in China because he got tired of seeing the Spyderco knock offs. True?? I have no idea.
That is what I had heard while at the SFO. They were tired of knives looking like :spyder: 's without and control of the quality, so they bought one of the plants.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
zenheretic

Remember the old Remington shaver commercials

Post by zenheretic »

DFD04 wrote:That is what I had heard while at the SFO. They were tired of knives looking like :spyder: 's without and control of the quality, so they bought one of the plants.
...They hated them so much they bought the company???
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
spyderwa

Byrd Factory

Post by spyderwa »

Perhaps Sal or one of the other regular posters from Spyderco can clarify this. I believe Spyderco has found two or three makers in China to work with and develop. Buying a foreign company can have many risks, especially in China. What I have heard in the past is that Spyderco will seek out a company or maker that is capable of producing the kind of quality that Spyderco expects. Then Spyderco spends time working with the maker and in many cases educating them on how to produce the quality that Spyderco expects. The two then work together to make the Spyderco designed product. After production Spyderco also has quality control checks that have to be passed before it is shipped to the customer.
Most knife makers have a way of doing things based on what they have made in the past. Since Spyderco is very innovative the maker will find manufacturing situations that are new to them. This can include new blade-lock designs or working with new steel blends. If a maker wants to discuss a knife technical matter with Sal thay had better know what they are talking about since he is one of the most technically proficient company owner/presidents out there. He is one of the few knife executives out there that can tell you about a factor in knife design and then prove it from an engineering standpoint. He is also a very modest individual and would never boast about his abilities. I had the opportunity to see him at a large knife show walking the asles with a different namebadge so as to not draw attention to himself. He asked a dealer about some blade steel that he was promoting. The dealer started describing his wonder steel with no regard for physics or metalurgy. Sal could have dressed the guy down since he was full of beans, but he didn't. He thanked him and went on.
Sorry to drag on like that but I tend to have a lot of respect for this company based on the way it functions and the products that it produces. It is very unique.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Spyderwa thanks for the info. I found it very informative.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Agreed. Thanks big for the info. ;)

I often wonder if there are people from Spyderco (just regular employees) that frequent the forum? I also wonder if any post here and we just don't know they are employed by Spyderco. :D
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

[quote="David Lowry"]Agreed. Thanks big for the info. ]
Always possible David...some questions seem to repeat themselves in different forms though. You start to see repeats in 6 months to a year. If you have a elephant like memory and religiously read each thread, after about a year you really know more than you should. :D Some people apply this attention to their favorite sports, some to their favorite hobbies... ;)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

[quote="David Lowry"]Agreed. Thanks big for the info. ]

It was mentioned a few times that Eric Glesser frequents the forum periodically, but I can't recall if he posts at all. :confused:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
ceya

Post by ceya »

"If you are a "foreigner" you are not even allowed to buy knives in Tokyo. "

spyderwa
Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa[/QUOTE]

I never heard that before. Is it written some where?

The Japanese do buy alot of Spydercos but like customs or fixed blades more.

S/F,
CEYA!
JD Spydo

Knives not for sale in Japan????

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderwa I know you have been to Japan a time or 2 because I remember asking you about going to one of the big knife shows in Seki City. I think it was about 2 years ago when I talked to you about that.

What I am finding a bit confusing though is what you are saying about foreigners not being able to buy knives in Tokyo :confused: I thought that the country of Japan sort of made a really big deal about their kitchen/chef and culinary knives in general. I have a DVD of a famous Japanese Chef named Chiharu Sugai and in that DVD he demonstrates how to sharpen and care for Japanese made chef's knives.

He talks like Japan's culinary knives are almost a national icon. Just from what I've gathered off of his DVD it seems to me that Japan is immensely proud of the high quality food preparation knives they make. That just seems really weird that they would tout their knives that highly but yet a visitor can't even buy them :confused: . Sir I am in no way questioning your credibility but rather find the inability for you or me to go to Japan and not be able to buy their knives terribly strange to say the least. Do they just solely depend on exports alone to bolster their knife industry?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Notice he said "in Tokyo"...apparently you can in other locals? I know Rorschach (on old forumite, look on Deacon's site for a link to his Spyderco blog) goes to Japan and buys knives...maybe their laws have some variability. Maybe the sellers Spyderwa met in Tokyo didn't like Gaijin...who knows?
spyderwa

Tokyo

Post by spyderwa »

As with many things in life there is a difference in what you are allowed to do and what you can do. I was told about the law when I went into a store in Tokyo and the shopkeeper would not let me even handle a knife. He said that foreigners are not allowed to purchase knives there. I really didn't believe him and thought that it was some bogus anti-American tourist thing. I went to a Tokyo knife store that I had a "relationship" with and was told that there were laws regarding foreigners and "weapons". At the store that I had established a relationship with, the clerk wrapped the knives in shipping envelopes so I could "mail" them back at the Post Office. He covered his a** and I am sure he knew that I might have difficulty "finding" the Post Office. At another three stores I was able to buy several small knives without question. I sincerely believe that there are strict laws about knives in Tokyo. I don't know if they would necessarily extend to a cooking knife as they are readily available in most department stores. I think that they might make a distinction about "scary" knives and utility knives. The official name of the law is the Firearms and swords control act.
One factor to consider is that swords were the principal tools of revolt and conquest and the Japanese rulers have seriously restricted their manufacture and ownership. Japanese sword makers legally can't make more than two swords per month. Since they make them out of iron sand and prices start at $5000-10000 it probably is not a major issue for them.
The only place outside of Tokyo that I purchased knives at was in Seki City and they were very knife friendly because of their role as a manufacturing center for knives.
It is important to note that when something bad happens in Japan and a foreigner happens to be around they are frequently taken into custody for questioning. Last October a person staying at the same hotel that I was staying at found a victim of a stabbing in the street behind the hotel. This was at 10:00 at night. He ran to the hotel so they could call the police. They took him into custody for questioning until 9:00 the next morning. Most murders happen with knives. This murder was commited by a ex-con that was known to be in the area and happened to drink a little too much with the victim. There is a tendency to asume that if something bad happens it is more likely to be the fault of a foreigner than a local. Even though the statistics show the opposite.
Here is a press release that I found on the net that talks about the Firearms and Sword Control Law as it pertained to a local Tokyo resident.

9-7-06 (1:05AM EDT)---- Death Note Manga Takeshi Obata Arrested
According to Fuji Television Network News, Death Note manga artist and co-creator Takeshi Obata has been arrested on the morning of Thursday, September 7th in Japan for violation of the Gun and Sword Control Law. Tokyo Metropolitan Police Shakujii Station officers pulled over his car in Tokyo's Nerima Ward Oizumimachi at 0:45AM after seeing a head light that was out. Officers questioned the author about the light issue and found him to be in posession an folding type army knife with a blade of 8.6 cm in length. The knife was located in the car's internal console box. When asked about the knife Obata reportedly replied that it was for camping. According to the law one may not be in posession of cutlery with a blade in excess of 6cm in length unless they have legitimate reason. Breach of the law can be punished by a 30,000 Yen fine and/or imprisonment of up to 1 year. Obata hails from Niigata Prefecture and is of course known for the smash hit Death Note comic. End.
I think that Japan is a great place to visit, but it has very restrictive laws that are closer to Britain than the U.S. I have purchased many knives in Japan and carried them in my luggage and in some instances my backpack returning from shopping. Had I had an encounter I might not be here today.
One last note. In China and Japan I anxiously expected to be able to find large quantities of knives available just about everywhere. In both places I found few knives, the large quantities were being made for the U.S. export market, not the smaller Japan or Chinese market. Tokyo has a huge population, but I think that just about any moderate size U.S. city would have a higher number of knives being carried.
Hope this helps clarify things.

spyderwa
Rare Spyderco Page
JD Spydo

culture shock

Post by JD Spydo »

That's interesting needless to say. It truly is amazing how other countries differ in their culture and their laws. Even though I would still like to go to Seki City to see cutlery industry. Japan is truly an interesting country. But I thank GOD I don't live there. Always enjoy your posts Spyderwa. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ceya

Post by ceya »

I lived there and never had a problem in all the years I lived there. Yes they do have a limit on the blade. I carried my ladybug or Dragonfly.

Yes they do have hard laws in place but never had a issue there.

They don't have firearms and blade issues like the UK, meaning you can't carry anything but still have high crime rate.

Japan has hard firearm laws but nobody ever uses one for a crime. Knives yes and most a kitchen knives .

Most love firearms , see the paint ball/pelets stores and replica firearms.

S/F,
CEYA!
spyderwa

Japan Laws

Post by spyderwa »

I have been in stores in Japan and Hong Kong that look like the most complete tactical store anywhere. The walls are covered with a mindblowing array of rifles and machine guns. As Ceya mentioned, they were all airsoft pellet guns. Extremely realistic without the U.S. mandated orange barrel tip paint. I think that they have a pent-up desire for firearms and weapons, and express it in the best way that they can. If you raise kids and prevent them from having toy guns the first thing that you notice is that they have formed guns out of sticks.
The problem with weapon legislation is that it appears to be used as a tool to either ban a certain class of tool, or to prosecute those deemed worthy, (by the police), of prosecution. The individual named in the article that I posted probably wasn't a threat to society other than his books that some might have disliked. Did arresting him take a criminal off of the street? No. Did it make people fearful of carrying a knife, or having one in their possession? Probably. As knife owners in America we need to be aware of how draconian knife laws can affect our hobby, and or profession.
After reading some of the anecdotal stories on Japanese knife law on the web I realize that if I had been searched after one of my knife store visits, things would have been very interesting. On one day this past July I had purchased an Al Mar dagger, a Rekat Pocket Hobbit knife and a few others at a knife store. While out I had decided to take my son to the Tokyo Metropolitan Building observation deck. Just as we arrived I thought to myself that if this building was like U. S. government buildings there might be some sort of security. At the last moment I found a locker to store my stash. Sure enough, there was a backpack and bag check. I still am glad I remembered about the potential for security. I think the best way for most of us to purchase Japanese knives will be to buy them online and have them shipped here. For the price of airfare you can buy a pretty nice collection. On the other hand, there is something magical about travelling in a foreign land.

spyderwa
Rare Spyderco webpage