Handles prefered for EDC.......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

I'm currently carrying my SS endura PE for EDC. I think I prefer my FRN Delica.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:07 pm

Stainless steel
8%
FRN
21%
G-10
61%
Carbon fiber
9%

Total votes: 106

Dslteck

Handles prefered for EDC.......

Post by Dslteck »

I'm currently carrying my SS endura PE for EDC. I'm quickly finding out SS is IMO not a very good choice......I prefer FRN....what do you think?
wec12

Post by wec12 »

I'm a "Spydie newbie" and only own 2 types of handles (SS & FRN). Personally, I have a Endura 4 with SS handle and really don't think SS handle is a good choice.

So, I'll definitely say "FRN > SS".
Zac

Post by Zac »

G10. I own at least 10 G10 EDC knives.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Dslteck

Post by Dslteck »

Zac, I've read alot about G10 knives but have never handled one. What are some of the pro's versus the FRN models? or any other model for that matter.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

G-10 if you are wearing Jeans or Canvas.... Or want a quality sturdy expensive knife for edc...
Micarta for chic...
FRN for any other reason...

SS.... To show off, engrave or put in a box....

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Hi Dslteck,

I love G10!!!! It is quite comfortable in the hand for any length of time and is very difficult to accidentally lose the knife. I have SS, FRN, and G10 knives...G10 wins hands down, but the new Endura/Delica 4 FRN pattern is awesome!!! I EDC a Delica 4 wave!
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

G10 feels so nice in the hand.
G10 is definately my favorite.

The fishscale FRN pattern on my Caly jr. is awesome too.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

g10 is a superb handle material. I cant think of anything frn has over it exept thet maybey its a little cheeper (frn). I like em both and dont have any complaints for either one of them, their both good materials in my book. :D
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

G-String me! Oh, meant to say G-10!

By far the best handle material. I'd love carbon fiber, as I have a freakish love for the stuff.. However, I've never handled a CF knife. All my bicycles have ton's of CF and titanium on them, but no knives sorry to say. For EDC, I love the the functionality and feel of G-10. CF would be a tad too slick IMHO, but definately cooler looking...
Zac

Post by Zac »

Dslteck wrote:Zac, I've read alot about G10 knives but have never handled one. What are some of the pro's versus the FRN models? or any other model for that matter.

G10 is an epoxy made handle that is weather resistant, heat resistant, shock resistant, and just exceptionally strong all around. It does not usually have as aggressive of a scale as FRN, but has many more scales and is less aggressive on the hand for prolonged usage. G10 does not slip when wet or dry. FRN is IMO only better for full underwater usage. People have claimed G10 to wear but I have not found this to be true. I have found that G10 will clog over months of hard usage with dead skin cells making its grip less; however, cleaning it with a toothbrush and a aggressive cleaner (it wont hurt the handle) fixes the problem. I also find the knives I like most (Civilian, Para-Military, Military, Manix, 83mm Manix, Chinook II, Police) are all available in G10 and have one, if not two, steel liners for added strength. G10 is not cheap but not ridiculously expensive either. While it is more expensive than FRN, a G10 Mil, Para, Manix, Chinook can be attained for about 100 bucks...not bad for a knife that will serve for years; and a G10 Byrd for about $35-40. The only major downside that people indicate who like cosmetics is that G10 is ugly. Also consider most G10 Spydercos are using CPM-S30V steel; a hardcore performer, but un-shiny as can be.

The carbon fiber option is not accurate. There are two carbon fibers. The first is the smooth, slippery carbon fiber on the CF Civilians. This is a looks only kinda thing. The second is Peel Ply Carbon Fiber found on the sprint Military runs. This is exceptionally grippy (on a par to G10 as some like PP more and some G10) and seems to have a wear resistance about that of G10. In other terms, it is viritually indestructable, yet pretty. Hardcore testing is hampered by price and likely why G10 will remain the main heavy duty usage handle.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
trout #2

Post by trout #2 »

G10 for me, but the FRN on my ZDP D4 and D'Allara DP come in a close 2nd. I don't have any CF (yet) and can't stand SS.
:spyder:

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Can't vote for just one. It really depends on what I'm wearing, and what kind of knife it is.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, I have a problem with voting for just one, also. I love the feel and strength of the peel-ply CF on my Mili, with the minimally lined G-10 of the Para and unlined G-10 of the Dodo close behind. For true EVERY day carry, I tend to gravitate toward FRN, partly because they save a little weight, but mostly because they save a lot of money when replacement time comes. SS handles trail the pack, until it comes to IWB. Getting that peel ply CF to let go of the shirt tail and pants and slip into place is a royal pain, and G-10 is almost as bad. Even the FRN Delica is harder to put away than the SS Police. That big dude just glides into place with no effort at all. So I guess my preferences change with task and carry style :rolleyes:
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Here is the break down for me: (at least this week)

G-10
SS
FRN
CF

I only put CF last because I don't like the shiny. If I owned any peel pry, it would be above the G-10.

I will say that SS has grown on me quite a bit, which one of my main carrys, the A*rend*TR just happens to be. So sturdy, and futuristic! :cool:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

What's funny is that if you know me and my old original posts here a year or so ago, you'll see that I used to think FRN was junk and flimsey and I wanted no part of it.

Haha!

Now days, I love FRN. G10 is great and I do love it on certain knives. However I'm now a huge believer in FRN. My favorite knives (other than my Paramilitary) are all FRN. Even my two current Benchmade's are FRN (The 550 and 555 Griptilians).

FRN is way more tough and durable than I ever gave it credit for. It's also super light and can be done in fun colors. I have grown to like it more than any other handle material. Hey, I figure why not? It's 2006 and with all the technology and polymers we have available to us, why would we not use plastics and be confident in them? Tons of stuff is now made with polymers; HK Firearms, Glocks, cars, everything these days.

I have to go with FRN. It's the stuff. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I don't own any CF handled :spyder: (yet :D ) so I'll go with G-10. FRN being a close second and SS a very distant third. I've never liked SS handles, I don't feel I have a good grip and they are too heavy compared to FRN.

Sverre
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I voted for FRN. I love carbon fiber and I EDC a BG-42 Millie but FRN is cheap easily repaceable and a yellow salt is very people friendly.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Tank

Post by Tank »

Dont have any CF but as for the rest.. I carry them all just depends.. I have only recently started carrying G10 and it is pretty nice... but i cant just pick one.
-John
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I'll go with G10 and preferably "old school" like on the Rookie and G10 Harpy ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
deputy tom

Post by deputy tom »

FRN for me all the way.I just love the light weight.tom. :cool:
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER...Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.