Sharpmaker Rods - Are These Normal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Sharpmaker Rods - Are These Normal?

Post by JNewell »

Hi...quick question on the rods on my Sharpmaker, which has been giving good service for five years or so. Most of the rods are kind of "warped" (must have come out out of production that way) and several of the edges (not the flats) have rough spots where there must have been a casting irregularity or something of that kind. These aren't big deals, but I was wondering whether they're representative of how the rods are in general?
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

Mine are long and straight and older than yours. What did you do to your rods?
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

Mine are perfectly formed and coated.
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

My old Sharpmaker (8 years old) has places on the edges of the rods that catch blades during sharpening. The rods are staight though.

My new Sharpmaker does not have these issues.

The new sharpmakers have a much improved carring case and base arraingment than your unit does so you may consider getting a new one.

If you want to keep your old one, you should find a way to fix those bups/pits. They cant be good for the edges of your blades. While I don't know if this will work, you could try using one rod against another to smooth it down.

Lastly or maybe it should be firstly, Spyderco may replace the defective rods, even after 5 years. Their number is 800-828-1925.

Hope this helps.

Sean
jerseybounce_42

Thanks for the heads-up

Post by jerseybounce_42 »

JNewell wrote:several of the edges (not the flats) have rough spots where there must have been a casting irregularity or something of that kind. These aren't big deals, but I was wondering whether they're representative of how the rods are in general?

My 204 rods are pretty new. I noticed that I had a pimple on one of the edges of a brown rod. I will have to check them more carefully. Sal says the rods will wear but I don't think I'd want to use a bumpy sharpening surface. I think the 701 profilers are blemish free.
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier

WTC 1993 was enough for me.