Caly three

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SunTzu

Caly three

Post by SunTzu »

I dont consider myself a novice when it comes to knives but I have only been colecting them for a few years, :spyder: 's for only about a year. And everyone keeps talking about the caly three. I dont know what this thing is but it must be good to generate the kind of disscusion it has. :) Could someone please tell me a little bit about this knife and why its so cool? Maybey a price too :rolleyes: ??

"People do not come pre-assembled, but are glued together by life."-Joseph LeDoux
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As far as I know, the release of the Caly 3 is still off in the dim and misty reaches of the future, so I don't believe there is a price established yet. If my notoriusly poor memory is working this morning, it is essentially a UKPK with a back lock. If I'm wrong (like THAT would be news :rolleyes: ) I'm sure someone more knowledgeble will be along to correct me.
FRIZ

Post by FRIZ »

TazKristi:
"There is a Caly 3, C113GP, Black G-10 Scales / VG-10 - MSRP $154.95
Current ESTIMATED time for delivery - Sep / Oct"

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... light=caly

I played with the CALY 3 for quite a while during the SHOT Show in Las Vegas. It is everything the “Mini-Manix” was supposed to be, i.e. with a 3 inches blade. It is on top of my want list. :D
Regards,
FRIZ
"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

Sir Winston Churchill
tomtom

Post by tomtom »

you can see a picture of it on Teds list if you scroll down to C113

http://www.ted.tweakdsl.nl/spyderco/spyderco.html
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

You know, I'm a little sad there won't be that cutout along the top of the whole blade (is there a name for it?). It makes it look so sleek.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

the legendary light saber Calypso jr. is a wondeful size for EDC esp. amongst NKP......the full flat ground blade geometry has always been a favorite....when the ultra sharp ZDP189 burgundy version emerged....Spydie-sharpness took on a whole new meaning (at least for me!).....the "uprgrade" from FRN handles to G10 scales will be the "icing on the cake" for all who love the Calypso Jr.! :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

Here is the pic of the little beauty.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jaislandboy wrote:the "uprgrade" from FRN handles to G10 scales will be the "icing on the cake" for all who love the Calypso Jr.! :cool:
Agreed but I'll have to wait for a ZDP sprint run.... Too sad!

Ken
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

The Caly III combines a lot of features which I find appealing in a knife. It is small (which in California translates into legal and friendly, well, not always :mad: ) it has the Calypso Jr. ergonomics, it's flat ground, uses G-10 for handle scales, and VG-10 as it's blade steel. I also like the feel and heft of knifes with liners. So by all these criteria, the Calypso III looks like a grand slam to me.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

The Caly III combines a lot of features which I find appealing in a knife. It is small (which in California translates into legal and friendly, well, not always :mad: ) it has the Calypso Jr. ergonomics, it's flat ground, uses G-10 for handle scales, and VG-10 as it's blade steel. I also like the feel and heft of knifes with liners. So by all these criteria, the Calypso III looks like a grand slam to me.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

If anyone speaks of CalyIII, there will be a response. A much loved knife by many. Myself included. I know I will like the CalyIII because I already have the UKPK and the CalyIII is the UKPK with a lock. What is there not to like?
1. G10
2. Low rider clip
3. Great ergo's
4. Flat ground blade (VG10)
5. Jimping
6. More heft than the FRN Caly

Someone stop me!
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

That low rider clip is a godsend to me. I can carry it at work and all of the other Sheepleville places.
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

I just wish that it had screws instead of rivets.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Can anybody make an educated guess on the MSRP for the ZDP sprint run?

I'll try to wait for this to come out if it isn't too expensive... ZPD and Carbon fiber :)