ZDP Rust Removal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
uhiforgot

ZDP Rust Removal

Post by uhiforgot »

I did a brief search of rust removal threads, and have been unable to find any that address rusting of ZDP189. Thus far, the ZDP Delica has been the best perring knife I or my kitchen has ever seen, but the service is catching up to the steel. Don't really have the means to post pictures at the moment, but the rust is growing more and more significant.

A while ago JSmith posted that minor rust could be removed by rubbing a pencil lead on the rust spots and erasing the pencil, but this does not work with the supersteel's superrust.

I've got a bottle of Brasso in my toolbox, but will this hurt ZDP?

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
hornshwangler

Post by hornshwangler »

Jeff, try using Flitz metal polish. I think this is the stuff they use at the SFO. I've used this on some of my knives and it works like a champ!.

good luck
Dan
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

You might want to try a crock stick cleaner, made by Lansky and others.
It's basically a rubber eraser, but it contains minute particles of some scouring compound.
It cleans the ceramic sticks on for instance the Sharpmaker very well, but also removes light rust and various kinds of goo on your knives very efficiently.
:)
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I use Flitz at the first sign of rust on my ZDP, and it takes it right off.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

I am a long time fan of Breakfree CLP. I started using it on M-16's many moons ago. It is relatively cheap and you can get it at any gun store and many sporting good stores.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

A bit of Breakfree and emery cloth and the rust should come off easily. And a wipe down of Breakfree will keep it from coming back.

http://www.botac.com/breakfreeclp2.html

Have you tried an H-1 knife yet, heh heh!
Zac

Post by Zac »

Nevr Dull works wonders on ZDP-189
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

I think I'm gonna try Flitz as it's the one with proven results on ZDP. Thank you ALL for helping out! :D

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Doug McKenzie- I mean, Jeff- :D - Try to snag some Rifle/ Gun Wax if you can, also made by Flitz. Great stuff for the perfect shine! LEt us know how the Flitz Polish works on your rusty situation!

VWGoof- er, I mean Scott. :p
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There is an interesting test of various corrosion preventativeson Brownells' website.
JD Spydo

Flitz spoken here

Post by JD Spydo »

VWTattoo wrote:Doug McKenzie- I mean, Jeff- :D - Try to snag some Rifle/ Gun Wax if you can, also made by Flitz. Great stuff for the perfect shine! LEt us know how the Flitz Polish works on your rusty situation!

VWGoof- er, I mean Scott. :p
Flitz also make a Metal Wax which I have used on a lot of Cold Steel's Carbon V steel blades. And let me tell assure you the you can look at that steel and it will rust. That is a great Blade steel for utility uses but it will rust very quickly if you don't use something on it. And I've had the very best luck with the Flitz wax.

There is a guy on Ebay who sells a lot of Flitz products and I can't think of his Ebay name right off the top of my head but I have bought a couple of items from him and he ships fast. Also give the Flitz polishing cloth a try. That is an amazing polishing cloth they make. I have heard that they have other rust preventative type stuff too.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Does this mean ZDP-189 rusts more easily than VG-10? Use my Stretch and Temperance FB in the kitchen all the time and "care" consists of washing them off, shaking three times to get rid of excess water, then letting them air dry. Have never, repeat never, seen the slightest hint of rust on either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
lycanthought

Post by lycanthought »

Definately - I use my Kopa around water all the time - never any sign of rust on the VG-10, whereas my ZDP Delica developed a rust spot after being left damp for about five minutes (well, a couple of hours anyway)
JD Spydo

On occasion>> salt more than moisture

Post by JD Spydo »

The only 2 Spyders I have ever had rust on me to any noticable degree have been my Burgundy Caly Jr. with ZDP-189. Last summer about this time of year I worked all day on a 100 degree+ day and at the end of the day I pulled me ZDP Caly out of my pocket to cut something and I had little spots of rust as though someone did it with a salt shaker. I am certain that it was my body sweat that did it because that day all my clothes were drenched. But one application of Flitz working it with a toothbrush cured it immediately.

The only other Spyder I ever had rust on me was my K-06 kitchen knife. It seems like it always wants to rust where the tang meets the handle. Then I have to take a toothbrush with either Flitz or Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser to remove it.

I have heard that ATS-55 was notorious for rusting but I carry my big Dyad daily and I have never had one spec of rust on it at anytime. But I do Flitz it occasionally too.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

One of my worker told me to use soda, I put my severely surface rusted (not pitted) Leek ZDP in for a few minutes, pulled it out and wiped off the rust with a clean cloth, and it worked!
JD Spydo

A Martha Stewart knife tip

Post by JD Spydo »

I would say if the rust is heavier than just normal "flash rust" that is on the surface I would just use some FLITZ with some Crocus Cloth or even Flitz Polishing cloth.

Also that cleanser I've talked about called "BAR KEEPER's FRIEND". You can find it in a lot of grocery stores in the same location that you usually find the Ajax and Comet located. BKF is truly some amazing stuff. IT really cleans Spyderco sharpening stones rather well also. :cool:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

This thread makes me glad I don't own anything in ZDP-189. :D

I have never had VG-10 rust ever. Never ever......not even with sweat. Right now It's probably the best steel in my book. I like VG-10 better than S30V even.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

eeze ox
arnon

Post by arnon »

The Deacon wrote:Does this mean ZDP-189 rusts more easily than VG-10? Use my Stretch and Temperance FB in the kitchen all the time and "care" consists of washing them off, shaking three times to get rid of excess water, then letting them air dry. Have never, repeat never, seen the slightest hint of rust on either.
Yes, my zdp delica is the only spydy that get some rust. Not to bad but....
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Deacon perhaps ZDP does rust more. Perhaps you could take a ZDP into the kitchen and subject it to the same treatments you do your VG-10. Not scientific but at least they both would be in the same humidity etc. of your kitchen vs. the Butterman's down in Cali.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zenheretic wrote:Deacon perhaps ZDP does rust more. Perhaps you could take a ZDP into the kitchen and subject it to the same treatments you do your VG-10. Not scientific but at least they both would be in the same humidity etc. of your kitchen vs. the Butterman's down in Cali.
Darren, several things have happened in the year since I made that post. For one thing, I've been carrying, using, and taking my normal piss-poor care of, the ZDP Caly 3 Sal sent me and it has shown no signs of rust. In fact, it has not experienced even the minor discoloration that some of my VG-10 knives have from exposure to apples and mustard (no smartass - not at the same time). Granted, the ZDP is only exposed along the edge, so it's not a totally fair comparison, but it's the best I can offer until the Stretch II hits the streets.

For another, I did manage to induce rust on VG-10. Specifically, on the canvas micarta Stretch STR had customized for me. In fairness, Steve felt that the combination of titanium liners, phosphor bronze washers, and steel blade, coupled with my slovenly ways, may have caused electrolytic corrosion. He switched to nylon washers when he rebuilt it with the lignum scales, and I've seen no recurrence of the rusting since then. My other "user" Stretch, the one Chase Axinn customized by replacing the kraton inlays with micarta, has never shown any sign of rust.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!