Modifications most desired> for the PERFECT SPYDER

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Modifications most desired> for the PERFECT SPYDER

Post by JD Spydo »

There is hardly a Spyderco knife that has been built that someone hasn't said something along the lines of "That Knife Would Be Perfect If It Just Had Better Handle" or "That Knife Would Be Perfect If It had Jimping On The Blade".

For instance I have said on occasion that the big Dyad would be the perfect knife if it had a lanyard hole and a Glassbreaker similar to the one on the Assist I model :cool: .

I am sure you all have a Spyderco knife that if you had your way you would make maybe one or 2 modifications to it to make the knife what you would deem as the "PERFECT POCKET KNIFE". But now I am not confining modications to Spyderco's folders I personally have some ideas for 2 of Spyderco's fixed blades. But what modification(s) do you have in mind for a certain Spyderco model that you personally would change or alter?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Nilaman

Post by Nilaman »

The waved endura needs a finger choil and should come with a combo edge option.

Perfect in every other way.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, I do!
Call it the Manix III.
1.A smaller yet Manix with a 2 13/16" long blade, 1/8" thick,
stonewashed finish, S30V.
2. Compression lock, full liners. (or recessed)+-
3. Of course, G10 scales. black, dark green, +-
4. Low rider clip, tip up carry.

i know this is almost the UKPK, with the comp lock
JD Spydo

Stonewashed>> Yes Sir!!

Post by JD Spydo »

gull wing wrote:Yes, I do!
Call it the Manix III.

Gull Wing you hit on a good one there. I have suggested to Mr. Glesser himself twice that Spyderco should look seriously at a "stonewashed" blade finish on some of the elite models. It sounds like you are really more or less calling for the resurrection of the Lil Temperance now aren't you :D . But I can't say that I blame you either ;) :spyder:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Well jd spydo, I didn't really like my LilTemp much, but we won't go there now,
so I would rather call it a Manix. I like the Manix shape better anyhow.
v34

Post by v34 »

UKPK with Ti liners-It jsut needs beefing up a bit :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Take the 93mm Rescue and do the following:

1) G-10 scales with liners.
2) Put a cut-out on the left side that can be used as a O2 Tank wrench.
3) Add a permanent carbide tip (window breaker) to the end of the handle.

Right there I have a package that can smash a windshield, cut a seatbelt, and function as a spare O2 wrench.

I know there is the Assist model, but it's handles are pretty bulky. While I know these modifications would increase the weight of a 93mm Rescue, it would still be slimmer than the Assist.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
apachescout

Ideal Spyderco

Post by apachescout »

gull wing wrote:Yes, I do!
Call it the Manix III.

Yes, I'm with you on this most of the way. Mine would be a black blade PE Manix C95 with a shorter clip and Torx screws.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

I'd like to see a yojimbo with black clip. Also a civilian with a larger yojimbo-size hole, dual skeletonised liners, a compression lock, jimping and a yojimbo style indexing point for reversing the grip.
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
catamount

Post by catamount »

I am really loving my ZDP Jess Horn. To make it the perfect :spyder: , I would do the following:

dark blue G10 scales with no liners

modify the scales and blade to create a forward finger choil

fine jimping on the spine and finger choil

add a Boye dent

That last one is sacrilege to some, I know, but I actually like them :rolleyes: It feels weird to me without it.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
apachescout

Post by apachescout »

apachescout wrote:Yes, I'm with you on this most of the way. Mine would be a black blade PE Manix C95 with a shorter clip and Torx screws.
I would also change the jimping to match the Mini Manix. I like the finer lines better. The jimping on the big Manix tends to tear my finger flesh. I might have to file it a bit. I filed the edges of the G-10 scales to take the sharp edge off of them. My hand likes it better now.
Hannibal Lecter

Exactly...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,
ruxton wrote:Also a civilian with a larger yojimbo-size hole, dual skeletonised liners, a compression lock, jimping and a yojimbo style indexing point for reversing the grip.
My Civi has been modded with the indexing divots, as well as having the clip shortened to keep it out of the way during grip shifts. Just these two mods TREMENDOUSLY improve the handling, though the oversized Spyderhole, dual skeletonized liners and Spyderco Compression Lock are all excellent ideas.

BTW - Great thread, J.D.!

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Green G10 Caly 3 (the same color as Lil Temperance)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The C83 Persian would be perfect with a flat ground blade, 14mm thumb hole, fine traction grooves (like those on the Atlantic Salt) on the ramp and choil, and a "dent free" lockbar.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

My Civi has been modded with the indexing divots, as well as having the clip shortened to keep it out of the way during grip shifts. Just these two mods TREMENDOUSLY improve the handling, though the oversized Spyderhole, dual skeletonized liners and Spyderco Compression Lock are all excellent ideas.

BTW - Great thread, J.D.!

--------
Hannibal
Great minds think alike :p
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

Jess Horn stretched out to 3.5 or 3.75, not burgandy & whatever steel Mr. Glesser has lying around the shop. :eek:
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Caly 3 with blue G-10 scales, that would be an easy first start!

This might be too similiar to the Caly 3, but here it goes: Native with G-10 scales (blue or purple :D ), Ti liners, all screw construction, flat ground blade with no swedge, VG-10, or Stonewashed S30v steel. Compression lock would be nice, but would take lock-back!

Centofante 4 with G-10 scales (something with color!), Ti liners, flat grind.

Rough Carbon fiber handle Dodo

Rough Carbon fiber handle Para

The Ti Lil Temp scheduled for the distant future sounds like it is going to be almost *perfect* for me.
deeker

Post by deeker »

I like Halfneck's ideas on the 93mm Rescue. I would like to add that they bring back the CE blade, and then also apply all of these options to the 79mm Rescue as well.

I'd also like to see a Dodo stretched to 2.25" or 2.5" blade length. Same sized handle, please.
JD Spydo

Modified DODO>> Yes Sir!!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

deeker wrote:I like Halfneck's ideas on the 93mm Rescue. I would like to add that they bring back the CE blade, and then also apply all of these options to the 79mm Rescue as well.

I'd also like to see a Dodo stretched to 2.25" or 2.5" blade length. Same sized handle, please.
Deeker you just hit one on the nail head with your idea of the Dodo. I am a really fanatic over the Dodo. I have 2 of them here at the house I use constantly. They absolutely must bring back the Dodo with some great modifications. That's one model I want to hear more of my Spyder Brethren expound on. The DODO is not extinct. It's just in the rehab LAB :cool:
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

My 3 wishes:
Yojimbo with a more discrete clip
G10 Temperance with S30v steel
Wharnecliffe Dodo....
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."