Off topic, but........

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Off topic, but........

Post by sal »

We don't have a place for "off topic" subjects so I thought to mention this here.

I do not think that the horrible attack on our country last Tuesday was an isolated plan. If they BGs took a year or two to plan this in the US, why wouldn't they plan more? And why wouldn't it be another unexpected method?

As Americans, we must step up our awareness of all possible methods of attack and pay attention to what is going on around you, where ever you are.

There is an international conspiracy against America by a group that hates Americans.

sal
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Fortunately, there is also a growing international support and alliance growing to help fight this evil. I strongly feel that an international alliance of freedom and democracy loving nations is needed to fight terrorism.

Wouter
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I just hope that the source of this terrorism can be accurately and comprehensively located, so that it can be effectively attacked before more terrorist acts are perpetrated within the U.S and abroad.

Jeff/1911.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sal:

It's curious that your "off topic" is perhaps the most "on topic" subject these days. I absolutely agree that we must all increase our awareness and preparedness.

As evidenced by some of the scumbags who are defrauding the families of the New York victims, in addition to the terrorist threat, we still have our own domestic predators to worry about. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Thank you Mr. Blonde for pointing out that many countries of the international community are rallying around us and lending their support. With a strong international alliance, our chances of success are certainly much greater.

Stay safe,

mike j
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

I too must offer my sympathy and agreement to what you have said, I was in shock on Tuesday when I saw this.
I was installing a spoiler kit on my car when I got a call saying "Turn on CNN quick!!"
When I switched over it was like I was watching a movie, I couldnt believe my eyes.

I am deeply sorry for this and am also disgusted that anyone could steep so low as to do such an action and take so many innocent lives.
I can only pray that those responsible get what they deserve.

I too as a South African must appologise to my USA brothers for some stupid remarks made by a certain RSA goverment official about this attack not been "cowardace" or a form of "terrorism", its unfortunate that we still have a vast majority of idiots in our goverment.
We can only hope that their IQs might raise.

Lets hope some good can come out of this, and that security will be tightened up and made more fullproff at airports.

To all those of you who where affected, you are in my prayers.

God Bless

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

I believe that there are much worse things that could have happened and may still be in store for us. Consider the scenario of a thermo nuclear or biological weapon, both of which would probably be easier to accomplish than coordinating the takeover of four jetliners. Granted we SHOULD NOT live in fear, but we all perhaps need to become more vigilant in everyday life.
Thanks for your ear!
The Gatekeeper
kjellmusic

Post by kjellmusic »

I hope the nation keeps focused on the goal of wiping out organized terrorism in the long run. Check out this anti-terrorist website:
http://killaterrorist.com
john row

Post by john row »

Sal,
It is sickening that through all the aid, money, food etc. that the US has given that we are still hated. It is time to deal with that through other methods. Terrorists should be dealt with through terrorism. and reciprocal hatred.
John Row
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Sal,

Rather than being of-topic, I think that this is the only topic which is really relevant at the moment. It is certainly dominating most people's thoughts and conversation in this country, not to mention news and current affairs. I think most here see it as an attack on western democracy as much as an attack on America. Latest figures suggest that there are about 100 Australians missing. While that figure is insignificant when compared to the total number, it is still the biggest loss of life of my countrymen in a single peacetime incident that I can recall. Remembering also that American installations in other parts of the world have already been targeted, I believe that no one in the west can afford to be complacent. Our government has already pledged support for the US and it is to be hoped an international alliance can be effective against terrorism.

The world has been irrevocably changed by the events of the past week. We must all be more vigilant and prepared to take greater responsibility for our personal security as well as that of our fellows.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
satori

Post by satori »

I don't think this is an off topic at all. My daughter in-law is a Police officer working down at the WTC. She has kept in contact with us constantly. To quote her "the pictures do not do justice to the horror that is here." I woke up tuesday when my son called from NY to tell me the WTC had been hit by a jet. I turned the TV on and saw the second jet hit. The first thing that came to mind was that this was the act of terrorists and the second thing was a quote from Pearl Harbor by one of the Japanese Admirals "we have awoken a giant".
We were asleep this time but never again! I had friends working at the WTC. My wife and I worked there before I moved down to Atlanta. I am a NYer at heart and am proud of how they came through. The terrorists have awaken us from our slumber and they caught us with our guard down. BUT they got the opposite reaction they expected. All Americans are more aware now. We will be ever vigilant from now on and we will have justice!
-God Bless America!
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

It's really sad what is happened to many civilians and to the whole USA
QUICKLY FIND THOSE SONS OF A ***** AND KILL THEM ALL!!!!
golok

Post by golok »

In almost all chat forums, the biggest and most popular topic is the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

This topic can almost never be discussed without emotion. I have been watching the series of events on CNN minutes after it happened and thereafter.

To say that it is THE most horrifying event is still an understatement. Even as I sat thousands of miles away from where it happened, my heart was pounding. The fear and pain I felt then must have been magnified and multiplied a thousand times over by those who were there.

Yes, it is true America is under siege in a way. There are countries that hate America. There are those who blame America for supporting Israel. There are those who curse America for what had happened to Iraq, Vietnam, Iran, Afghanistan and Lebanon.

All these are political issues. To be a country as strong and as powerful as the United States is also to invite powerful feelings from others. Unfortunately, people who are poor, leaders who are insecure will sometimes find the biggest target.

It is also true, America has extended its hand of friendship to many across the globe. It has given help in so many forms across the decades. Sadly, human memories tend to be short. People sometimes prefer to remember the bad things.

I have fond memories of Americans. They came to my country decades ago in the form of Peace Corps volunteers. They left behind many happy memories. They made many friends.

Yes, they talked a bit louder than the others. They laughed very loud too but then so do we. That's why we all remain friends.

However, in recent years America has unfairly taken the brunt of a lot of charges levelled against her. I am not into politics but as a ordinary mortal, I know there are a lot of things said and done without basis. It is most unfortunate.

My friends and I used to talk about America and we always say: "You can say what you like about those Americans but whenever there are calamities anywhere in the world, they are among the first to be there to help."

Those who criticise America almost never showed up or the last to do so. Actions do speak louder than words.

The horror of attacks on America has moved all our hearts. The tears and church services have moved our souls. You are not alone in your hour of pain. We are there with you too in spirit. Certainly, you are not alone.

Many people the world over can understand America's anger. Some shudder at what America will do next. We all pray that peace will reign again, as it must.

In the end however, humans cannot do it alone. I am a bit old-fashioned so I say this time perhaps we should ask God for help.
America was founded on its firm belief in God. This evidence is clear and strong in the past few days in America. Let it be so.

We should do our best and let God take care of the rest.
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

Sal,
There is much that we have not been doing when it comes to security, but one of the main problems lies with intelligence. If we have no information that there is a threat then we will not have an appropriate level of security. No one expected these things to happen - not like they did (in fact, many analysts thought that if an attack occured it would be one of the "other threats" you alluded to Sal - NBC: Nuclear, iological and chemical - and many fear that they may yet come...).

Unfortunately, one of the biggest reasons we did not know was MONEY. Over teh years many, if not all, intelligence agencies have had their budgets decrease, especially after teh Cold War. This, along with too many people enamoured with technology as the answer has caused an increase in reliance on SIGINT and other technological forms of intelligence and let our HUMINT capacities fall by the wayside... Why? - because HUMINT is EXPENSIVE and the politicians and their constituents have not been willing to pay. This has already changed since the bombings - but it was too little, too late. What is the use of preventative measures if you do not have them? The main problem wasn't a "security" problem, it was an information problem - no one knew that more security was needed...

The 6 biggest problems with the present US intelligence apparatus:
- a lack of money.
- too much focus on electronic intel, not enough on human intel.
- a lack of co-ordination between agencies that has almost become a competition.
- idiots in charge who are politicians and not professional intelligence officers with experience.
- lack of support for REAL operations following the end of the Cold War.
- a lack of understanding of how intelligence needs changed after the Cold War and a population of politicians who thought that without the Cold War, intelligence was unnecessary are at least not so important...

These things must change (and not just in the US...).
sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

What happened in New York took many of us by surprise in this part of the world. Everyone here in Malaysia shares the grief of the family members of the victims at the WTC attack. Just want you dudes to know that you are not entirely alone...

Sam

have spydies will travel
sal

Post by sal »

Thank you Golok.

sal
Qvar

Post by Qvar »

With the events that has happened we can all pray that good will prevail. Many of the people here in N.Ireland send their condolances to the people of America.

I'm a British citizen and can only hope that governments crack down on terrorism in a way like never before. It is frustrating however to see the likes of Mr. Tony Blair stand before the world and say how he will stand by America whenever terrorists have killed thousands here on British soil for years and are now walking about the streets as free men.

Also when others such as Mr. Gerry Adams send their condolances, do not be fooled by these men for they have been only too supportive of many murders here of policemen and innocent people yet hypocritically they appear to be concerned. I would suggest the only reason they appear concerned is because unfortunatley they have supportive friends in America who have been only to generous at times maybe not realising the means for which their aid would be used.

Lets all hope that terrorists everywhere are brought to justice for the evil crimes which they commit.
knifenerd

Post by knifenerd »

Yes, we must all be much more vigilant in the future and watch out for ourselves and those around us.

We are truly our "brother's keepers".
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

This is the worst thing to happen in my life. Right now I'm 17 and a senior in high school. The day after graduation I turn 18. I could very well be drafted over the summer if this conflict escalates. Those who commit acts of terrorism and are full of hate must be hunted down for what they have done and what they can do.

Death before dishonor, thus always faithful.
stu

Post by stu »

We all must become more vigilant. I may be overgeneralizing, but how do you teach this attitude/mindset when so many appear perfunctory in their day-to-day activites? Is it differences in people's personality, predetermined? I have to believe a heightened sense of awareness could be cultivated in any one. Sal, you hit on a topic that truly baffles me.

Golok, I couldn't agree more...amen.

God Bless America,

stu
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

It's too bad that we had to wait for this to happen, before we we're ready to respond.

I help integrate weapon systems for the U.S. Navy and under their Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program, the Navies of Japan, Norway and Spain. The Cole was one of my ships. I can tell you that, within my community, we've been going nuts wondering when our country would react to these brazen acts purpetrated on this country and the rest of the world.

Make no mistake, these cowards are bright and dedicated. They are well funded and that might be their undoing.

The week prior to these acts of war, they got greedy and started selling off their stocks dealing with reinsurance and airline stocks. That money went some place, and when we find out where it went, we'll have some of them.

The price of freedom has always been paid in blood, and this time will be no exception. However, it's time to go after these snakes and rats and bring them to justice.

Peace unto all people of goodwill!