Wait is over - ZDP Delica came

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
greencobra

Wait is over - ZDP Delica came

Post by greencobra »

Yeah, after a 8 month wait...finally. Must be the last kid on the block to have one, actually a pair. There's something about a knife right out of the box, sort of like a new car smell. This rascal is just what everyone who came before me said it was. Mine are perfect, blades centered, tight lock up, and I do love that color. I suspect some of us are weary of basic black. I'll use one and the other will overthrow the reigning safe queen.

It looks to me that the blade is solid ZDP and not laminate, I see no seperation line like the Cally ZDP's have. Having missed a few months of conversation here, am I right?
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Congrats on your new toys.

The blade is solid ZDP. No laminate on this one.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
txtroublemaker

Post by txtroublemaker »

greencobra wrote:It looks to me that the blade is solid ZDP and not laminate, I see no seperation line like the Cally ZDP's have. Having missed a few months of conversation here, am I right?
Yup, they're solid ZDP.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Mine came today also, and I'm very pleased. Fit and finish isn't quite perfect, but the knife is solid and locks up tightly. Incredibly sharp out of the box, too.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

greencobra wrote:Yeah, after a 8 month wait...finally. Must be the last kid on the block to have one, actually a pair.

Having missed a few months of conversation here, am I right?
In the old country people saying "Better later than never"
Congratulations on your Delicas.
I got mine four days ago, nice knife. I like it much more than Jess Horn.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

greencobra wrote:Yeah, after a 8 month wait...finally. Must be the last kid on the block to have one, actually a pair.
Glad to hear you got a pair. :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

zenheretic wrote:Glad to hear you got a pair. :p
LOL Me bad.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Congrats on the ZDP Delica, greencobra!

I agree with you about the black, the blue is a good turn from the mundane.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congrats on your new fine knife Greencobra. I think you'll enjoy it ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

congrats GC .....i finally got one too... it's a sweet knife but to be honest I feel the Burgundy Calypso Jr.'s got the D4 beat with sharpness (I'm guessing the factory sharpened angle of the edge is more acute on the Calypso Jr.???) ...but don't get me wrong I still love this Zdp D4 and feel Lucky to score one myself! :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I just compared my ZDP Caly's to the ZDP D4's, I can't really tell a difference as much as I could on the BG-42 Mili as compared to my other 3 in S30V. I remember Sal posting once the final edges were ground by hand, both in Golden and Seki City. That might explain sharpness issues.
chinook

Post by chinook »

greencobra wrote:... I remember Sal posting once the final edges were ground by hand, both in Golden and Seki City. That might explain sharpness issues.
I remember touring the Spyderco factory in 2000.(before civilians were banned by insurance or security issues) There were three very sharpeyed young men at vertical belt sanding machines, none of them wearing glasses, seemingly not overwhelmed with the awesome duty we place on them for sharpness in the micron range. They had racks of Military and Starmate blades at their sides which they picked up and ran through a practiced single pass on one side, inspected under a strong light and then flipped the blade and repeated the procedure. Pratice makes perfect.

Also I might add an observation that I talked with a few employees in the parking lot during their lunch hour before I went inside. No sign of pressure or stress in their attitude that you might see in high volume operations geared to output number evaluations.
.><CHINOOK*>
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

During my visit I also got the distinct impression that all spydies were sharpened by hand. THey even check the edges with a laser of sorts. The consistency of the hand ground edges was something between 2 degrees I think.

Congrats on the ZDP Delica! It's proven to be the go to knife in these hot days with loose and light clothing! Well, and a waved delica too, for entertainment! :D

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JaM

Post by JaM »

Congrats on the ZDP-Delica. I couldnt get one, but I bought a Lil Temp PE for myself to get over it :D .
Besides, I already have a (normal) D4. How many knives can you own, really....?

Don't answer that. :)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

JaM wrote:I couldnt get one, but I bought a Lil Temp PE for myself to get over it :D
That would do it for me!