Opening folders in self defense scenario

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scorpius711

Opening folders in self defense scenario

Post by Scorpius711 »

I would like to hear some opinions on opening a manual folder in a general self defense type situation, using either a hawbill or a conventional blade, sorry no Gunting openings.

Also would apreciate opinions as to concealed openings and the theory of "never let them see it only feel it". Would not most people who have grown up on street, sense you are bringing some type of weapon to bear. Just by the posture of your body and arm? Also if you have your blade down and to the back of your rear leg while your unarmed side is facing your opponet. This would seem to violate a general rule taught to me by instructor, "always keep the blade between you and your opponet"? Would this not also slow any potential attack or counter-attack you may wish to launch as you have to bring the blade to the front vs starting with a knife already in that position?

Currently my prefered method is bring to my arm up untill it is horizontal with the ground and in a foward right stance with my arm just right of my centerline. Then open the blade using thumb and a tight whipping action with my wrist, to overcome any interia caused by being off in my thumb pressure.

Keep in mind this is meant in a general context, and is excluding exceptions and special circumstances.

Troy

Edited by - Scorpius711 on 9/8/2001 10:31:28 AM

Edited by - Scorpius711 on 9/8/2001 10:32:19 AM
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Scorpius711:

Both overt and covert openings are valid in a defensive situation and in the MBC program, I teach both.

In a true surprise situation, you may have to deal with an attack with an initial unarmed response, then draw and use your knife. The method I teach is to draw and raise the closed knife up to chamber near the right shoulder. To protect the draw and fend with the off hand, we step back with the right foot to create a left lead. In this position you are set up to strike with an angle 1 (right downward or inward hammerfist) with the butt of the closed knife. This can be used to buy some time for the opening, which is also done with the knife to the rear. Once the knife is open, we step forward to a right lead.

If you have the time and the skill, you can draw and open the knife near the right hip. Again, a momentary left lead is preferred to protect the draw and allow fending with the lead hand.

The exact opening method one uses can vary quite a bit. At the risk of being immodest, the most thorough instruction on folder openings I've seen is in my video "Fighting Folders." It covers openings and the proper drawstroke in great detail.

If you suspect trouble, covert openings that get an open knife in your hand well before the conflict begins are very worthwhile. Bear in mind the positive and negative effects of knife lock noise and plan accordingly. In some cases, you want them to hear something. In others, you don't. In the case of the latter, you need to practice muted openings that silence lock noise.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

mike j
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Sorry, double post.

Edited by - Michael Janich on 9/9/2001 8:55:53 PM
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Generally, my prefered opening method, assuming the situation allows it, is to put the left side forward, draw with the right hand and quickly hide the knife behind the right hip or leg, then slowly and securely thumb open the blade.

You can use your weak hand to prevent the opponent from grabbing your weapon hand. If you want the weapon hand forward, you can just step forward, or you can also step back by pivoting on your back foot and swinging your front leg around behind you. Stepping back works well as a parrying technique and sets up a counter attack.

Many people would probably guess that you're drawing a weapon in this situation because of your posture and the clicks that the knife's clip and lock make. You're not really telegraphing anything though and the knife isn't visible at all. In most self-defense situations, I'd probably want them to know that I'm armed, I just wouldn't want them to see the weapon.

"Better safe than sorry" makes sense to me as far as the actual opening is concerned. There are a lot of ways to open a knife quickly, but spending an extra second or so on the opening so you don't fumble it seems prudent.
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

OK..I feel rejected..no Kinetic openings?
no slam n jam and its open?
no seemingly empty hand responses with the Gunting comfortably in one's hands?
geeeeeeeee

I guess I cover n draw...
once its drawn I can always open it...
hmmm that still sounds Guntingish....
maybe cause its typical Filipino response..
ROFL..
have a great day!