C-101 80mm Manix>> A CLOSER LOOK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

C-101 80mm Manix>> A CLOSER LOOK

Post by JD Spydo »

I have just recently aquired the smaller 80mm Manix model. I had hesitated to get one of these because of my vast fondness of the big Manix and looking at it in the catalog I just couldn't envision it being any more useful that it's C-95 big brother. I was grossly wrong and again I have learned that you must handle and check these Spyders out first hand to see what they have to offer. The magazine pictures often don't do a lot these Spyderco models justice. Because this 80mm Manix has a versatility that longer blades just couldn't fulfill, not the mention it's ambidextrous set up. For the ""Tip UP--Tip Down"" crowd you will just be floored by what you can do with this blade. This would be an excellent Spyder to introduce new exotic super blade steels with IMO.

This knife and it's super good grip geometry is very reminescent of the Lil Temperance in a lot of ways and will be significantly more pocket friendly in certain types of clothing. This knife is not just a Junior version of the big Manix. Oh no!>> it goes way beyond that. It indeed has it's own spectrum of cutting chores that would be unique to a 3 inch bladed knife and handle of it's dimensions. For those of you who want a big spined, high performance cutting tool where longer blade length might be a problem then this is your knife. Not to mention the fact that it locks up very solid and safe.

This blade could also be used as an outdoor knife for hunting, backpacking, camping or any number of outdoor cutting needs. With my growing affinity for Golden Colorado made Spyders I have to definitely put this one in my KEEPER category. For you Lil Temperance fanatics you would be doing yourselves an injustice by not having one of these. It is also lefty friendly and this knife would be more than ideal for sheath carry for outdoor use or a number of occupational uses as well. The 80mm Manix is not merely a little brother to it's C-95 counterpart but it is truly a knife all it's own. I dare you all to get one of these. A pleasant surprise is in store I can assure you. This knife has CLASSIC written all over it. :spyder: :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Glad you see the 'light' now on the Mini Manix. I came to much the same conclusions when comparing the Mini Manix with the Li'l Temp! It's a classic for sure!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram

Post by 224477 »

I didnt like the Manix 80 or 83 (?) untill I had it in my hands once.
Since then its love for to be continued... :D

To me, it resembles a Calypso Jr. on steroids.. ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
VWTattoo

Mind reader...

Post by VWTattoo »

JD, how did you know that I am in serious lust for one of these?? :confused: :p

If it feels as solid in the hand as it's big brother, it MUST be a winner. The 80mm Manix is high on my list of ones to acquire, at #2, closely following the 2 Forum Lavas on order- one for myself, the other for my brother. Once that is paid for, the MiniManix is next! Seeing as how I love the Lil' Temp, and you are now daring to compare the mini Manix to it, I simply have to get me one.

Happy 4th, JD!

Scott
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
JD Spydo

little guy vs big guy

Post by JD Spydo »

I have the 2 Manix models here on my desk and I have been doing a comparison on them for the last 30 minutes. First of all I really like the Jimping on the 80mm Manix better than I do on the big model.

The leverage on the 80mm is astounding. Now I do have a combo edged in the big model but I don't think I want a smaller one in combo edge. And I like combo edges>> I'm a bit unorthadox in a lot of my preferences on blade bells & whistles.

The lanyard hole on both models is close to perfect. For most knife users who don't have big industrial grade cutting chores and who are not outdoors oriented I would just simply get the 80mm model. I love both models but the little guy definitely has some advantages as far as being an EDC blade.

AGain I think the 80mm model would be a Great Spyder to do limited editions for exotic blade steels. I would love one of these 80mm in the Crucible M-4 :cool:
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

i would like to try a mini manix someday but i dont have the money right now. im trying to save for a captain :D
I had hesitated to get one of these because of my vast fondness of the big Manix and looking at it in the catalog I just couldn't envision it being any more useful that it's C-95 big brother.
This is what i tought/think, but I would rather not spend the ~100$ or so to test. I'm a poor college student :p
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

You read my mind, JD!

Since I haven't had much luck finding an S30v Lil Temp, the Mini Manix is on my list as the next best thing. I feel it is what I am really looking for in a folder right now, even better than my Para.

It will be a little while, but it is next on my wish list.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Funny that I should run across this thread minutes after ordering one. I had one a year ago and didn't care for it at the time. It was just to big and bulky for my pocket. I was looking for a smaller knife at that time, so the Delica was the right choice. Now that I want a indestructable knife that uses a lock I really trust for heavy chores the Mini Manix was the obvious perfect choice. I do trust other locks, but doing really heavy stuff with my Military scares me a little, like chopping and other heavy camp/hunt/hiking stuff.

Thanks for helping me justify my purchase, makes me feel better about my bad spending habits! :)
will_77

Post by will_77 »

I need to acquire one of these when the time allows. I'd like a tank of a knife to carry at work besides my military. It looks as if it would be relatively easy to re-handle with other materials, also. One re-handled in blaze orange g10 would stand out if dropped in the woods.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I love the baby-manix. Thor the thunder god carries one clipless in his front pocket. Wonderful punyo. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

i was suprised that the baby manix is NOT that much smaller than the Manix, in all reality.. i held them both at NGK and i didnt think there was that big of a difference. i went with the Manix because i wanted a good SD knife that could double as a killer utility knife as well. Manix for life.
myspace

ATC

:spyder: meshmdz :spyder:
JD Spydo

Big versus 80mm

Post by JD Spydo »

spydermdz wrote:i was suprised that the baby manix is NOT that much smaller than the Manix, in all reality.. i held them both at NGK and i didnt think there was that big of a difference. i went with the Manix because i wanted a good SD knife that could double as a killer utility knife as well. Manix for life.
I sort of agree with you to a point. However the big Manix has a much heftier handle than the 80mm model does. But the blade length on the Big Manix is only about 1/2 of an inch longer than that of the C-101.

They both are mighty, heavy duty rated folders. Probably some of the very best ones in the entire market. I look for both models to be around for a while. :spyder:
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

imo it is one of the best Spyderco's on the market.
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

JD Spydo wrote:The magazine pictures often don't do a lot these Spyderco models justice.
I also felt that the picture on the Spyderco website didn't do it justice. I felt that in person it looks much different. From the pictures on the website I liked the way my Manix looked a lot better but now that I own one I like the way the Mini Manix looks better. If it hadn't of been for the live pictures here and on bladeforums I probably would not have gotten one.
severedthumbs wrote:imo it is one of the best Spyderco's on the market.
I agree. Both it and the full size version have the best ergonomics out of every folder I have ever held or owned. The Mini Manix is my favorite knife. I like to carry it more than the full size version b/c I think it looks less threatening, plus mine is blue which I also think helps a great deal when I use it in public places.
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm curious, what can it do that the bigger one can;t?
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

it carries better in some people opinions... other than that, i consider them to be about equal. they are made the same and all..

the Manix just makes a bigger cut than its little brother.. they both are AMAZING sd knives, that double as stellar utility and EDC knives... thats why i think the Manix is the best SD knife.. it can be used as that and everything else that you will need. not to mention its the toughest folder spyderco has, with the biggest blade. :D :spyder:

LONG LIVE THE MANIX! God bless Eric Glesser and God Bless America! :spyder:
myspace

ATC

Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I love both Manix knives , a lot of people are shocked when showing them the Mini that it is the small version . You are right on JD they are and will be a classic in my book . They do not call me Manix Guy 2 for nothing ! great thread !
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

i love anything threads about the best folders in the world, the Manix knives.
myspace

ATC

TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I am glad that you have finally seen the light on the Mini-Manix!! it is an AMAZING knife!!! It IS one of MY all time favorite knives!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
JD Spydo

The CLOSER you LOOK the better it CUTS

Post by JD Spydo »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:I am glad that you have finally seen the light on the Mini-Manix!! it is an AMAZING knife!!! It IS one of MY all time favorite knives!!
I know>> I'm slow but I eventually get around to details. But by taking my time I am able to take a CLOSER LOOK :rolleyes:

Actually I am beginning to see that the 80mm Manix Jr. has got some attributes that would be great for a new Lil Temperance model. Albeit I do like the compression lock a trite bit better than I do the lockback. They are definitely cousins as it is.

I am wondering about a sporting version of the big or small Manix with a guthook. Even different colored handle scales should be considered a possibility. This knife should be the first candidate for the new Crucible M-4 that they are introducing to the cutlery community. :cool: :spyder: