Military model issue to SEALs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
seaman

Military model issue to SEALs

Post by seaman »

Not sure if this was ever discussed here before but was just wondering if this is a fact.http://www.navyseals.com/store/detail.a ... lack-Blade
para-force

Post by para-force »

It's just a civilian store selling knives for the "mall ninja" appeal if you know what I mean. They're just looking to make money like everyone else.

EDIT: Oh, I just saw what you meant when I read "The Spyderco Military Knife is issued to U.S. Navy SEALs upon joining a platoon at their first SEAL Team."

I don't think it's true, but you never know.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Iirc the whole "seal knife " is a hoax. There have been test conducted in the past to search for a standard seal knife. I believe there was one winner, but can't recall who it was.
Spyderco never entered into the test, and now seals buy their own knives.
I believe the Military is a very good knife, but it's not ideal for aquatic use.
Seals are known to carry Ti knives to lower their magnetic profile around magnetic mines.
Using a steel knife around high ordenance explosives could be lethal
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

Jim Malone wrote:Iirc the whole "seal knife " is a hoax. There have been test conducted in the past to search for a standard seal knife. I believe there was one winner, but can't recall who it was.
If it isn't a folder, perhaps it was is/was the SOG Navy Seal.
SOG wrote:WINNER of one of the most extensive testing and evaluation programs ever undertaken by the US Government for the Navy, the SOG SEAL Knife surpassed all others to receive the highest performance honors and become the chosen blade of the US Navy SEALs.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I am inclined to think Enduras were/are issued to one or more SEAL teams. I found this link over at tactical forums, the forum is run by a SEAL who gets this question quite a bit.

There are definitely SEALs who like Spyderco and especially their serrated edges. During my visit of Spyderco 'Area 51' (the factory ;) ), I found this little plaque tucked away in the back of the atrium.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If you want a real SEAL-worthy knife, then a Pacific Salt should be perfect right? :D

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

I second that ! Serrated of course !
seaman

Post by seaman »

Thats what i got last week a ps but in pe. Btw pe will cut ropes just as well but thats another topic.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

That's right seaman, but underwater it's a whole different story IMHO . Wire that is submersed, especially the nylon fibers, "float" loose in the water. You will need a knife that will bite into the fibers and the pull the rope against the serrations. It will work with a PE too, but with the SE you have a better chance of keeping the cord onto your blade.
The salt is a good "underwater knife". I wonder if they ever made a black bladed, sterile model for the UDT's out there.
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
dano

Post by dano »

Just a sidenote from that website:

Why Buy From NAVYSEALs.com’s Store?

Two Words: Real Deal!

We are founded by Navy SEALs, and run by Navy SEALs. We sell to Navy SEALs, other Special Operators and law enforcement professionals.

We choose AUTHENTIC products that have been TESTED and proven TOUGH by OPERATORS.

We are a business founded by OPERATORS for OPERATORS, but not limited to operators…you are all equally important whether you are a family member, supporter, aspiring SEAL or Green Beret, or just think it is cool to learn about what these honorable folks do for a living.

Besides all that – here are some other very good reasons to support NAVYSEALs.com:

The Naval Special Warfare Foundation provides educational and financial assistance to families of Navy SEALs killed in the line of duty.

We give 7.5% of our Net Profit to charity – specifically the Naval Special Warfare Foundation.
seaman

Post by seaman »

Hi Jim
You have a very good point which I didn't think about. And Dano, perhaps you can shed some light regarding the military model being issued as mentioned in the link. Also did the community show any interest in the new salt series knives and if so which models and which edge configuration?