Selling ZDPs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scolby

Post by scolby »

Like most major makers, Spyderco relies on a distribution network. So that the distributors can make money, Spyderco sells them the knife at let's say 1/3rd of the MSRP. The distributors sell them to dealers for about 55% of MSRP depending on circumstances.

So the trick is finding a way to sell the product for what the market will bear. By artificially keeping supply down, demand in the case of the early Spyderco ZDP's outstrips demand, making the MSRP invalid.

Nobody's life depends on getting their hands on a ZDP blade. As said earlier in this thread, they are "trivial luxuries".

Who care's how much someone is willing to pay to buy the delica's and calypso's?

In a short time, there will be enough ZDP kicking around to bring prices down. Hitachi wins either way.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

JspyEDC wrote: I think what most knife knuts have a problem with are the instances where it has appeared a dealer has not honored his pre-orders. After seeing the buying frenzy created by the Sprint Run, he ends up participating in the frenzy, thereby screwing his customers who thought they had a Delica on order. Not a smart business decision IMO. Time will only tell for those types.
That certainly bothers me.
JspyEDC wrote:
.......DON'T YOU THINK SPYDERCO IS WATCHING THE FRENZY? MORE ZDP SURELY HAS TO BE ON THE WAY. SOUNDS LIKE A WIN-WIN TO ME!!!

Take care.
I can hardly wait!
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.