Short, amusing story about my Endura today...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

wec12 wrote:I'm studying in grad school, not some sort of environment required huge knives. So... I think Endura will definitely scare people to death :D .

Especially in liberal academia. :rolleyes:

I am surprised that someone was willing to use a good Spyderco to try to jimmy a door lock! :eek: I wouldn'a.

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
peacefuljeffrey

Episteme wrote:I'll be at Johns Hopkins begining in the fall for a doctorate. I will be sure to never draw anything bigger than my ladybug or dragonfly at Hopkins...I'm sure my colleagues will look unfavorably at any blade larger than 2 inches.
I don't mean to criticize your choice, but I have seen enough anti-gun, anti-knife, anti-weapon, anti-self-defense "research" spew forth from Johns Hopkins that I would NEVER give them my money for a degree. :mad: Just not worth what I would lose from my soul...

Interestingly ... in the first Universities, (Paris, Rome, and Bolognia), the wearing of knives or swords quickly became prohibited in the classroom. The reason for this is that many accounts of students stabbing other students in the midst of heated academic debates have been recorded, and quickly the tradition of banning 'weapons' in educational institutions took-off.
Truly sickening. The fact that intellectuals were such failures at logic that they reasoned the solution was to ban weapons rather than deal with the psychotic behavior of some people who just couldn't keep their *#!( together during a "heated debate" is disgusting. But then, I've learned to not expect much smarts out of people who are supposed to be smart. (The lesson applies to "nowadays" and apparently also to "back then.")

-Jeffrey
peacefuljeffrey

ruxton wrote:Easy solution of course... I don't take my :spyder: s to uni! It's too risky to nowadays anyway, they have metal detectors at train stations that scan everyone who passes through them for knives. :(
I don't consider not taking a knife to be a "solution." It's more of a "surrender." I understand that you really just can't, due to the legal situation there. Sucks. :mad:

Are you saying that they have metal detectors to get on the TUBE, or do you mean actual train-trains, going cross-country? I can't picture every Tube station being manned now for the purpose of scanning for knives.

This world is in the toilet, and the police-state is being brought to us via the very country that Orwell wrote it would: England. :( :mad:

-Jeffrey
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'm just waiting for someone at my new job to say something about my work carry....

I go everyday with my pair of LM's, flashlight and lighter on my belt, and no-one has said anything yet(not even my manager)... nothing official in the company manual. I try to keep my work EDC to a minimal length, just means using my cricket, dyad jr or SF at work rather than taking my endura or police.... I'm not going to be the reason they create a new rule there if I can help it.

But being 1 of 12 techs on the line kind of helps I think. So far in the 4 days I've worked on my line, I've had ppl borrow my multi a few times, and another tech was using my flashlight to try and get a rig working... gotta love working in open friendly places.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

Post by 224477 »

Cool post Sal :D

Nice story Doc., yeah you´re right times have changed :(

I am doing a little downsizing in these hot days too. Changed my main carry from Endura3 PE to Caly Jr. grey lightsaber, backed up with SubCom gen 2.

As you said in another thread Doc., winter is better, you can carry more.. :cool:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I don't mean to criticize your choice, but I have seen enough anti-gun, anti-knife, anti-weapon, anti-self-defense "research" spew forth from Johns Hopkins that I would NEVER give them my money for a degree. :mad:
This doesn't surprise me in the least. It's a school in Maryland :p Maryland hates weapons of all kinds. Just read our statue on what is and is not legal to carry in Maryland, and you'll likely scratch your head and think "well what can I carry then?"

Not to mention getting a CCW in Maryland requires jumping through flaming hoops held by rabid hungry tigers, while being shot at by criminals who are better armed than the police.

Maryland's good for crabs, but not for knives.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Next time, use a strider to pry! (THEN watch his reactions)
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

PeacefulJeffery,

No worries, I'm not paying a cent to get my doctorate at Johns Hopkins; I am getting full fellowship for 6 years, plus an annual salary...so JHU is not getting any of my money. :p
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Most of the people in my division are pretty used to a couple of us having folders/multitools/lights. I typically will use something like a D4 or a SAK. I have an Inova X5 and LM WaveII on my belt. One of my co-workers does use his E4 a lot, and occasionally gets a bit of a reaction, but nothing too serious. He also carries a Wave. The reaction we get more than not is one of surprise that we actually do use our tools. Sometimes we have to scramble, so running back to the office to grab a REAL screwdriver, or something just doesn't cut it, so if it's on your belt, in your pocket...... :) With the exception of one of my co-workers, very few know how many I carry let alone the "extras" I have in my Maxpediton :D No surprises with my sons or wife - they are more than used to my blades - my Meadowlark "fell" into her purse not that long ago :)

- gord
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Episteme wrote: "Jeez, I'm never messing with you!" Fortunately, it was a good-natured comment.
:spyder: I hate that crap. As a martial artist and MBC player I put a lot of thought into being non-threatening and non-agressive.

I never make threatening gestures or verbal cracks yet I'll get those remarks from co-workers who are holding 10 inch chef's knives because I take out my dodo to open a box???

Sheeple. :mad: :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Rebeltruce

Post by Rebeltruce »

Episteme wrote:Just thought I'd share what I found to be an amusing occurance today at work:
Instantly, I hear "Jeez, I'm never messing with you!" Fortunately, it was a good-natured comment. I never thought of the Endura as a particularly menacing blade, especially the plain-edged version. I wonder what reaction I would have gotten had it been my SE Police, or Gerber Applegate Combat Folder. :cool:
Just wondering if anyone else here has had any similar occurances with the "non-knife" folks.
-Mike
I get a simliar reaction/comment everytime I take my EDC out of my pocket. My EDC is a Chinese Lum, "Lummy" as I like to call her.

It's funny though, I just started with the company I am working at now. I noticed prior to my coming on board and even going through the interview process no one carried a pocket knife or at least one that was visible.

Different story now that they've seen me using Lummy on a regular basis. Now everyone has a clip showing in their pocket. Mostly just cheap Spydy knock-offs.....but pocket knifes none the less.

There is hope....
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Cool thread :cool:

Just today at work, we had to cut some heavy duty tie ribs. My co worker sawed through the first one with his box cutter. To cut the second one, I whipped out my E3/SE and it went through it like butter :D

His reaction was(with a smile): " Man, do you have one heck of a machete with you!!"

Later on when I used my Endura he said: "There goes Rambo" :D

Maybe I will bring my D3/SE tomorrow ;) :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
JspyEDC

Big Cricket

Post by JspyEDC »

I use my Yin-Yang Cricket as a card protector when I play in Poker tournaments. Sometimes I get comments like...(sarcasm) "Wow, what a large knife you have there, it's soooo scary...." etc...etc...

Then I show them my new CF Millie with BG-42. I usually win the very next hand, and get the last laugh!
Spyderco Collector #162
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

People truly are sheeple, or perhaps dogs. :rolleyes: A large, muscular looking person gets those type remarks too just from being powerfull looking. It's almost as if the pecking order, rolling over and showing their belly like a submissive dog occurs in a way that is guilded with humor.

IMO, the ban to disarm americans comes from a different source. It is very real though. Joe L.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I don't consider not taking a knife to be a "solution." It's more of a "surrender." I understand that you really just can't, due to the legal situation there. Sucks. :mad:

Are you saying that they have metal detectors to get on the TUBE, or do you mean actual train-trains, going cross-country? I can't picture every Tube station being manned now for the purpose of scanning for knives.

This world is in the toilet, and the police-state is being brought to us via the very country that Orwell wrote it would: England. :( :mad:

-Jeffrey
I haven't actually seen one but according to the news a while ago the police have portable ones that they just take along to any old train station and metal-detect anyone who passes through the station. Don't know how widespread the phenomenon is.
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

ruxton wrote:I haven't actually seen one but according to the news a while ago the police have portable ones that they just take along to any old train station and metal-detect anyone who passes through the station. Don't know how widespread the phenomenon is.
Some terrorists blew up some public transportation, we better go down and randomly scan for knives....Makes perfect sense.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

It's fairly funny actually, after you get off the train you walk past a shop selling big 8 inch kitchen knives, then one of those knife amnesty bins where you can hand in your knives anonymously so you don't get tempted to randomly slash at people in the street, then further up the street is a shop selling samaurai swords.
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

ruxton wrote:It's fairly funny actually, after you get off the train you walk past a shop selling big 8 inch kitchen knives, then one of those knife amnesty bins where you can hand in your knives anonymously so you don't get tempted to randomly slash at people in the street, then further up the street is a shop selling samaurai swords.
Well maybe a car thief will steal car full of babies, so they will ban the sale of swords...
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
dialex

Post by dialex »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:... I can't picture every Tube station being manned now for the purpose of scanning for knives.

-Jeffrey
Reminds me of that "Totall Recall" movie (with Schwarzenegger). They had checkpoints at every subway entrance where they scanned people for weapons. :eek:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.