Paramilitary refinement - Need input.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
J.B

Post by J.B »

I made up my mind, the most important changes I´d like to see in the next Paramili are:

1. clip improvements, 4-way, low-rider, rounded clipend and edges, maybe 2 clip options

2. demountable construction that allows for cleaning and adjustments, including an eccentric part for lock adjusting

It is simply too good and too successful to change much. Thanks for reading.

Best wishes,
JB
We need locking :spyder: folders, at least a D4, with very small :spyder:holes (no one-hand function, only trademark) for legal carry in Germany!

If I could only keep one of all my knives, it probably would be a D4.

Ever tried, ever failed, no matter.
Try again, fail again, fail better.
(Samuel Beckett)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

The eccentric pivot is something I would like to see brought back on many Spydies.
I can't tell you how many Spydies that that pivot has kept the knife from be sent in to W and R.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Just clean up the quality a little and a new clip/lefty friendly and it'll be fine!
My clip scratches stuff like nuts, since the laser cutting left sharp edges..(hit it with a beadblaster before coating?)
(my pivot is wayy to sensitive, not even a 1/16 of a turn and it goes from TIGHT to horz blade play loose, plus the screw material doesn't hold its shape that well/the torx shape is deforming after a few tightenings)

Again, thanks for listening to US ELUs!
mr.vu

Post by mr.vu »

mr.vu wrote:I remember a thead in which Military input was wanted, so here goes for both.

I would like to see a ball bearing type lock, although I do like the liner on the Military. Whats the stop lock? Was that ever explained?

Keep the big handle.

Vu
Changed my mind, make the clip 4-way positional. Everything else is great!

Vu
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

mr.vu wrote:Changed my mind, make the clip 4-way positional. Everything else is great!

Vu
I agree... 4-way clip option, and eliminate the exposed tang when closed. In all reality though, the tang exposed tang won't even bother me once the option for tip-up carry has been made. Everything else is great.

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
docboy

Post by docboy »

Hey guys, so I started another thread called "Without compromising the Paramilitary..." that addresses some of the concerns of size and performance of the Paramilitary. What I gathered here is that by and large, people love the Para, but just want to see some more improvements. On the other hand, we've got guys who won't be able to carry the knife and want it smaller. Basically, people don't want to water-down the essence of the Para, just want improvements, so what about the smaller size? That's basically the rationale for the new thread I started. I don't want to be a random forumite who just waves around a pet project (as I know Spyderco is always busy with design), but I thought I'd throw my idea out there in case it could help matters down the the road.
Gibsoniam

My Thoughts

Post by Gibsoniam »

I do not own a Para-Military, mostly because the UKPK/Caly 3, Cricket and (gasp!) Benchmade Mini Griptilian fit most of my needs. That said, I have oft considered a Para-Military. In many ways, in my mind, the Para is the love child of the Calypso designs and the Military. Not being a user, I can't really make recomendations on experience, however here are the things that would push me to buy one (in order of significance to me, and I'll leave the 4-way clip off the list)

1) Ball bearing lock (like the D'Allara, not like the Pikal)

2) Nested steel liners

3) 3.0" blade

4) Smoother bump on the blade when closed (as you discussed)

5) Jimping like that seen on the Lava/Calypso/Delica/Endura

6) A 4.5 inch handle. I like that its larger, it fits the hand well, but as others have mentioned the handle does make the knife look much larger that it is.

That's it for me. Any 3 of those 6 items would push me over to the must have now side of the decision. :)

Can't wait to see where it all goes. Maybe a Para-Military will be in my pocket within the year. :eek:
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
golem

Post by golem »

3.0" blade!

That's all I want!

current 3.1" blade is lame and unwise.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

golem wrote:3.0" blade!

That's all I want!

current 3.1" blade is lame and unwise.
If I may, restrictions on blade length laws are "lame and unwise"!

**** the politicians!

<<<<Flame Off!>>>>

:D Ken :D
玉鋼
golem

Post by golem »

kbuzbee wrote:If I may, restrictions on blade length laws are "lame and unwise"!

**** the politicians!

<<<<Flame Off!>>>>

:D Ken :D

**** yeah!
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

I just picked up a Para last night, the only changes i'd suggest are the aforementioned 4-way clip positioning, and perhaps an Emerson Wave (maybe a removable wave like the Pikal?)

oh yeah, and an H-1 blade with whatever steel is used for the mounting pins and such in the Salt series as liners (or maybe just H-1 liners?)

seriously though, the Para is pretty much ideal as it is, add in the 4-way and it'd be *perfect*
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

.....but please, please make it tip up capable, here is what I had to do to mine to make it so.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Sal,

This is why Spyderco and this Forum are so awesome--you asking for and paying attention to input! If only more companies...sigh.

Anyway, I just replied to a post re the Para on another thread but perhaps it has relevance here so you can have all such input in one place. What I said was that the reason I HAVEN'T ever bought a Para (although I have often considered it) is that is is just too similar overall to the mini Manix. I understand the obvious differences (lock, especially) but side-by-side I can't justify an additional purchase. That said, maybe there are some things you can do to make the Para more distinctive (e.g. different--H1?--blade steel, a black version with a true 60-40/PE-SE blade option, adding a more aggressive choil with jimping like the Caly3, or, more radically, going to a back lock variation). Anyway, my two cents-worth on, from what I read in all the other thread comments, what is already a remarkable knife.

Knifewing
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

I've posted before on this thread...

My suggestions were simply eliminating the exposed tang and adding a four-way clip... but I also wanted to add...

Please do not make the blade any shorter. Personally, I think doing so would take away from the knife's functional purpose. For me, a good utility/ survival knife will have an adequate blade length. I think the 81mm length is just right. If it were any shorter, I fear it would be more difficult to accomplish some of the duties this knife is designed for. If I were to change anything about the length, I think it would be to make it a tad bit longer. I know a lot of people have said to make it under 3", but I have to disagree. If something shorter is really needed, get a Delica, Dragonfly, or Navigator.

And I want to add, I'm not trying to step on any toes. I'm just giving my $0.02 on what I think the proper blade length should be for a utility/ survival knife.

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I pretty much like the ParaMilitary as is. Only changes I would like to see are a thicker liner/lockbar, and a slightly larger finger choil.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Texas guy

Post by Texas guy »

Firefighter880 wrote:I've posted before on this thread...

My suggestions were simply eliminating the exposed tang and adding a four-way clip... but I also wanted to add...

Please do not make the blade any shorter. Personally, I think doing so would take away from the knife's functional purpose. For me, a good utility/ survival knife will have an adequate blade length. I think the 81mm length is just right. If it were any shorter, I fear it would be more difficult to accomplish some of the duties this knife is designed for. If I were to change anything about the length, I think it would be to make it a tad bit longer. I know a lot of people have said to make it under 3", but I have to disagree. If something shorter is really needed, get a Delica, Dragonfly, or Navigator.

And I want to add, I'm not trying to step on any toes. I'm just giving my $0.02 on what I think the proper blade length should be for a utility/ survival knife.

I agree 100%
If you need a shorter knife due to local laws dont carry a friggin' "survival knife" I carry my friendly looking knives to work, etc. and carry my Para when I need a real cutter. Shortening the Para would only make it another pocket knife when the thing is supposed to be a survival knife. I actually would like to see a Para with closer to a 3.5" blade, I find 3.5" is much more useful than 3" and without the overkill of a full 4" blade.
Spderco shouldn't make all their knives shorter just to accomodate those who have rough local laws.
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Texas guy wrote:I actually would like to see a Para with closer to a 3.5" blade, I find 3.5" is much more useful than 3" and without the overkill of a full 4" blade.
Bingo! :D

Some will say "Well, that's basically the Military," but it's not. With the compression lock and a 3.5" blade it is completely different than the full-size Millie. In fact, some might say that would be a near perfect design!

Really looking forward to seeing how this one actually turns out!

TK

Post by TK »

Don't change too much, the current Para is almost perfect. Just eliminate the exposed tang when closed, 4-way-clip, bigger pivot but same pivot style to minimize radial play, spine and choil jimping as on the current Military, something excentric to adjust the distance the Compression Lock can travel across the tang ramp, and, if possible, a pivot bushing :D
"I always thought it would be great to have two wives."
"No! You're thinking of a man with two knives."
John G.

Post by John G. »

Shorter handle (proportional to blade).
Stronger tip & pivot (allowing mild prying in wood).
Ambidextious lock requiring less opening force than backlock , but without liner-wear problems (ie: Bolt lock like BM Axis / SOG Arc / CS Ultralock)
Lower-riding clip (not so low top of handle is below pocket though).
Make slimmer (skeletonized liners ?) for discrete pocket carry
Leave G10 finish as is; not too abrasive for pocket carry.
Leave choil as is; not taking up a lot of blade area like CalyIII.
Leave light weight; not like Mini-Manix.
Non-laminated ZDP-189 ???
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Well, this is an interesting thread. So many ideas.

Here are mine:

1. Definitely 4-way clip, and I would prefer the clip set up for a lower ride.

2. Keep the compression lock. IMO, the compression lock is utterly brilliant. I am much less enthusiastic about the ball lock since I have had experiences of the ball lock on my first Dodo not holding up to slight pressure.

3. Slightly longer blade, 3.5 in seems ideal to me, so long as that would fit with the current handle length. I would not change the handle length.

4. Stay with CPM-S30V, please; although VG-10 would be OK also.

5. Steel liners.

6. Screw together (Torx) construction.

7. Micarta scales would be my first preference. I find micarta easy to hold and easy on my trousers. After micarta, my preferences for scales would be FRN, G-10, CF.

With such diversity of opinion on this topic, it will be interesting to see what results.
EarthDog