Spyderco SAMARITAN - a photo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
J.B

Post by J.B »

Thank You for answering, Sal, Sir!

Whatever lock You choose will be fine with me. They all work great. The winged BB lock would be the icing on the cake though. :cool: I really hope the demand for a manual version will be sufficient or we Germans maybe could purchase a spring modified version via Austria where all auto knives are legal and modifying experienced mechanics live. I bet this knife will be a hit in any version like the Mili and the Paramili. I have the feeling the :spyder: fiber is growing in German speaking areas. Besides, the name Samaritan is a really good choice and Citadel isn´t bad either.

Best wishes,
JB
We need locking :spyder: folders, at least a D4, with very small :spyder:holes (no one-hand function, only trademark) for legal carry in Germany!

If I could only keep one of all my knives, it probably would be a D4.

Ever tried, ever failed, no matter.
Try again, fail again, fail better.
(Samuel Beckett)
Revvie

Post by Revvie »

Sal;
Germany would need a 75mm version. Autos over 75mm blade are illegal there.
.... IMHO ....
J.B

Post by J.B »

Dear Revvie,

If the German weapons law has not changed shortly auto knives in Germany are legal if the blade:
- is 85 mm max. length
- is in the middle at least 20% from length wide
- is not double sided sharp (no dagger grind)
- has a continuous spine that is tapered to the tip

By the way I thought of you and your nice looking knife mods as I wrote in this thread "...Austria where all auto knives are legal and modifying experienced mechanics live." :D

Best wishes,
JB
We need locking :spyder: folders, at least a D4, with very small :spyder:holes (no one-hand function, only trademark) for legal carry in Germany!

(Samuel Beckett)
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I find myself wondering how you rotate the scale -- do you mean the scale on the opposite side from the button? Because, what about the torx screws that I would guess go all the way through the liners and spacers...

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

sal wrote:Hi Carlos,

That was my first thought for a lock as well. Development is going well and we have a "universal" ball holder that will work in any model.

sal

So... we're soon to see BBLock ParaMilitary, BBLock Military, BBLock Endura... right?

:D Heehee!!

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Revvie

Post by Revvie »

I stand corrected. Must have mixed up something...
.... IMHO ....
J.B

Post by J.B »

Sorry, Revvie, I suddenly was not sure about it myself. They could have changed the law, one never knows. After I laboriously had extracted it from the law articles my only thought was to tell it as soon as possible, because I don´t want to risk running 10 mm shorter than necessary. Now I feel like a **** wisenheimer. :o

Best wishes,
JB

(Samuel Beckett)
Bayoublaster

Post by Bayoublaster »

I love the looks of this one. I would love a manual version of the Samaritan. Autos are illegal here in Louisiana. As for the lock, whatever lock Spyderco decides would be great. Though it'd be neat to see something like the new refined BB lock on it.
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

Has there been any movement on this knife? i would pick up a manual only version of this one in a heartbeat. with a CBBL and some jimping that would most likely be one of my ultimate EDC's
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

and yes i know i resurected a 3 year old thread
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Thanks for bringing this up, I missed it and was curious myself if there was any progress too
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
v8r

Post by v8r »

Please forgive my ignorance Sal, but can the average joe own and carry this knife?I still don't understand the whole switchblade / assisted opening difference.It seems like the same thing to me, but excecuted differently.I have no problem with either,but as I understand one is legal and the other isn't. :confused: By the way very cool design. :) never mind didn't realize the thread was so old.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

ColonelX1 wrote:Has there been any movement on this knife? i would pick up a manual only version of this one in a heartbeat. with a CBBL and some jimping that would most likely be one of my ultimate EDC's
The Samaritan is still in R&D stages. I don't really have an update at this time.
v8r wrote:Please forgive my ignorance Sal, but can the average joe own and carry this knife?I still don't understand the whole switchblade / assisted opening difference.It seems like the same thing to me, but excecuted differently.I have no problem with either,but as I understand one is legal and the other isn't. :confused: By the way very cool design. :) never mind didn't realize the thread was so old.
The Samaritan is a Dual Action Automatic. It can be opened both as an Automatic and manually. It is classified as a restricted item since it is an Automatic.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Thanks for the info Taz. If it were legal I would snatch up a full SE Embassy. :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

of course a valloton scale release very very nice i personally don't see the need for an auto anymore unless just for the "look what i have" factor too many things can go wrong with it IMO it does look very awesome though would i get one well "look what i have" lol but would i use it prolly not all in all a great design with the safety incorpated into the scale release very ingenious but i expect nothing less from a collaboration between valloton and sal and the rest of the spyder crew
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I hate knife restrictions :( lol
Awesome knife tho! looks great and should be fun to mess with ;)
Vic
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

As mentioned, we felt that the C100 should be a special model. Originally, we planned on the double action Vallotin design called the "Samaritan".
when prouction glitches put the model on a "slow track" and then the Customs issue came up, we just put the model number on hold until we came up with a model that we felt deserved the number.
I read this in another post by Sal.
Does this mean that the Samaritan is gone forever?
What a great looking knife! Can it be made in a folder only version?
sal

Post by sal »

We have a design for a manual version with a Compression lock.
for which we're working on possible 2010 productiion.

The DA version is still in-the-works, albeit the vendor working on the mechanism parts is dragging their feet.

sal

Post by 224477 »

I am looking fwd on the manual one with comp lock, the DA is nothin for me though. Thanks for the news Sir :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

sal wrote:We have a design for a manual version with a Compression lock.
for which we're working on possible 2010 productiion.

The DA version is still in-the-works, albeit the vendor working on the mechanism parts is dragging their feet.

sal
This sounds great.

However....I would LOVE the prototype one shown even more with the scale release. :spyder: