Red Bone Kiwis have started shipping...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Red Bone Kiwis have started shipping...

Post by The Deacon »

Just got the word from NGK that mine is in.

Image Image Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Uh oh, Deacon's got the dancing Snoopy icon up, he must be REALLY excited. :p

Are you going to pick up a few extra of these to have customized, or do you still have plenty of the jigged bone extras?
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Whoohoo! :D I've been waiting for these little jewels to come out!!! :D

My SS Kiwi got a bit boring, after all that coral on the Kopas!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Spydieopath

Post by Spydieopath »

I got that news too.

It will be my first Kiwi, only because I have fought off the urge for one in bone.

I wonder when NGK will get the ZDP Jess Horn and BG-42 Military.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I got the same notice today Deacon. I tried to bribe Mary Beth to delay shipping yours until I got mine, but she would have none of that nonsense. :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Post by 224477 »

Cant wait for the pics! :D

Did the mention anything with "C38" inside as well? :rolleyes:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

smcfalls13 wrote:Uh oh, Deacon's got the dancing Snoopy icon up, he must be REALLY excited.

Are you going to pick up a few extra of these to have customized, or do you still have plenty of the jigged bone extras?
Scott, considering that it and the not-yet-released Lava are the only "2006 Releases" that will find their way into my pocket, I think "REALLY excited" might even be an understatement. :D

As for the other, still have a healthy supply of jigged bones. SFSW must have stockpiled a bunch of them, the last four or five times I've commissioned a Kiwi, they did not need me to send one.
Spydieopath wrote:I wonder when NGK will get the ZDP Jess Horn and BG-42 Military.
Was half-way expecting a "laundry list" myself - ZDP Horn, BG42 Military, flat grind Chinook, maybe even the elusive Gold Pearl Kopa - in addition to the Kiwi. imagine at least the first three will be along shortly.
zenheretic wrote:I got the same notice today Deacon. I tried to bribe Mary Beth to delay shipping yours until I got mine, but she would have none of that nonsense.
I'll let her know she has my permission to say yes next time you make an offer like that. :p I debated asking her to hold mine until the Horns come in, but I decided to compromise and just NOT ask for Express Mail shipment instead. :o

224477 wrote:Cant wait for the pics!

Did the mention anything with "C38" inside as well?
Sorry Jano, no word yet on our Horns. But considering there are at least a couple "in the wild" already, unless this turns into another "Gold Pearl Kopa" deal, I'm guessing it should not be too much longer before I get an email on them.
Paul
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine arrived today from NGK. First time I've seen smooth red bone in person. Looks really nice, has some depth and "grain" to it.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Hmmm mine will probably be here Monday then. Is red bone dyed red or naturally red?
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Nice looking piece, Paul, congrats!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zenheretic wrote:Hmmm mine will probably be here Monday then. Is red bone dyed red or naturally red?
I would imagine it's dyed, any untreated bone I've ever seen varied from off white to a sort of greyish brown, but never a bright red.
Paul
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Very nice, guys. I'm really starting to appreciate the Kiwi the more I see the variations, as it looks like the possibilities extend as far as imaginations allow. I can see why Deacon has taken this knife as a favourite to collect and modify.

I went to NGK to see the new offering but couldn't find it. Is that because the info is being sent to collectors first? If so, how long would you expect to wait before it's offered to the general public?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Deacon may I ask why you like this knife so much?
ront

Post by ront »

Sorry Deacon, the Kiwi is just one knife that I can't bring myself to like. On the other hand though, your dancing Snoopy's are awesome :D .

Ron
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Deacon wrote:I would imagine it's dyed, any untreated bone I've ever seen varied from off white to a sort of greyish brown, but never a bright red.
I guess it was a naive question... :rolleyes: :o
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

flipe8 wrote:Very nice, guys. I'm really starting to appreciate the Kiwi the more I see the variations, as it looks like the possibilities extend as far as imaginations allow. I can see why Deacon has taken this knife as a favourite to collect and modify.

I went to NGK to see the new offering but couldn't find it. Is that because the info is being sent to collectors first? If so, how long would you expect to wait before it's offered to the general public?
It is there Flipe8: http://newgraham.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=kiwi the last choice on the page. ;)
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Thanks Zen. God as my witness, I went there not two hours ago to look for them and only found the original two Kiwis :o . Me strong like dumptruck once , me smart like dumptruck always...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

flipe8 wrote:I went to NGK to see the new offering but couldn't find it. Is that because the info is being sent to collectors first? If so, how long would you expect to wait before it's offered to the general public?
Normally the collector pieces go out a few days ahead of the regular version. So I imagine that NGK will have stock on them by sometime next week. Lately though, its been anybody's guess - some knives the regular pieces are out weeks ahead of the numbered ones and one, the gold pearl Kopa, only a handful of numbered ones got out, most collectors have not received one yet, and no un-numbered ones have been seen either. Revised in light of ZH's post, they do seem to have a couple, but wonder if those, like mine, are numbered.
Vincent wrote:Deacon may I ask why you like this knife so much?
It appeals to me because, short of the C27 Jess Horn, it's the closest thing Spyderco has ever made to what I consider a pocketknife. In one way, it's even more traditional than the Horn, as it has no clip. It also feels both very comfortably and totally secure in my hand. It's big enough to handle most of the things I use a knife for at work, and looks enough like what everyone else expects a pocket knife to look like not to raise any eyebrows. On top of all that it's fun, because it makes an excellent canvas for customization.
ront wrote:Sorry Deacon, the Kiwi is just one knife that I can't bring myself to like. On the other hand though, your dancing Snoopy's are awesome.
If we all liked the same things, life would be very boring. Do hope you can appreciate the workmanship on them, even if you would not want to own one.
zenheretic wrote:It is there Flipe8: http://newgraham.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=kiwi the last choice on the page.
Hmm, looks like Tom's playing "hide the :spyder: " again. :D
Paul
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Lookin Good, Deacon! :D
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
Jezter46

Post by Jezter46 »

The red bone Kiwi looks cool. I may have to get me one... :cool:

I got a gold pearl Kopa a couple of weeks back from NGK. It's not numbered, so they are out there in small quantities I guess.