Knife Handling Etiquette

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
satori

Knife Handling Etiquette

Post by satori »

Here's a question I've always wanted to ask. I have heard many different views on this subject. But here goes.

What is proper etiquette in handling a knife.

1. When someone hands a knife to you is there a proper way of handling and examining it.

2. And is there a proper way of handing it back to the presenter.

3. Is there differences in how you would handle a fixed as opposed to folding knife?

4. And any other do's and don'ts.

Thanks any input would be great.

Just curious.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

1. When someone hands a knife to you is there a proper way of handling and examining it.
2. And is there a proper way of handing it back to the presenter.
3. Is there differences in how you would handle a fixed as opposed to folding knife?
4. And any other do's and don'ts.

-I only handle the handle, never the blade. I know how much fingerprints upset me, so I don't.
-open and close if a: I know how and b: I've recieved permission to "play"

-hand back in closed position, or set on table between(for thier easy retreival)

basically the same, but no manipulating.
-Feel how it fits your hand and what the weight is like, but no real differnces.
-hand back in sheath(if avail)

-fingers OFF the blades
-'play' if given knowledge and permission
-wipe off any prints left from playing, using owners method

This is simply my opinion, and I'm sure others will have more.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

Any rules I know apply to both fixed blades and folders.
1.)Don't open it in any particularly unusual fashion. Even if you have mastered flicking the type of knife open, don't. If you ever slip up, the potential damage is great. Use two hands and be careful.

2.)Handing the knife back has 2 good possibilities. My personal favorite is to clean the blade to remove fingerprints, then securely place it in the hand of the recipient, making sure the grip is secure before release. An alternate method is to clean the knife, then place it on a counter/table for the recipient to retrieve. Fixed blades must never be passed with the blade exposed!

3.)Aside from resheathing the knife, instead of folding it, no difference.

4.) Never attempt to test how sharp the edge is. Even though I know how, I see shopkeepers cringe when someone feels the edge.

Keepin' it real...real sharp, that is.

Edited by - Sword and Shield on 9/1/2001 8:52:09 PM
bildrac

Post by bildrac »

Opinions vary, but safety and edge awareness are primary! From my childhood, through the Boy Scouts, and finally all the way through to present, I followed these basic guidelines:

-When borrowing or handling someone else's knife, receive the knife handle first, when finished viewing or using it, return the knife in the like manner you received it (this was the very first thing my dad taught me over 30 years ago, the other guy should know how to handle his own knife; typically how he hands it to you, is probably how he wants it handed back to him).
-If you received a folder closed, obviously ask permission before you open and handle it if you're just looking at it, but return it closed.
-If you don't know how to operate the lock, place the knife down between the two of you and let the knife lender pick it up to close it; however, if there is no table between the two of you, handle the knife like a fixed blade and carefully hand it back to them handle first.
-If you received it open, treat it like a fixed knife and hand it back handle first, or place the knife down, handle toward the receiver.
-Don't play with the knife.
-don't touch the blade.
-If you absolutely have to check the edge, see above reply and ask permission first, but if you do, wipe your fingerprints off, even if you have to use your shirt (provided it's soft cotton ;o).
-Treat the other guys knife as if it was your own prized possession, he or she obviously likes their knife because they make it a point to carry it.
-"Last but not least," just like all firearms are considered loaded, a knife is a knife, sharp or dull, it will cut you or someone else if you're careless with it.
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Well said gentlemen.
This may be more of a folklore question,but some cultures/traditions say it's bad luck to gift a person a knife;that you should always get a token(say a penny)payment in return.I was taught that a knife was a "Warrior's Gift"-to be given to someone worthy of a blade(weapon,altho frankly I consider a knife a tool)who was embarking on a trip(spiritual or otherwise).Also a supersticion that closing a folder prior to returning it to the owner signified cutting the relationship(no comment about safety:I close'em & haven't lost any friends over it).?Comments?Opinions?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

One important point in handing a knife back to someone - if it is single edged, the edge should be away from your palm. If he grasps the knife and draws it toward him, he may cut your palm or the web of your thumb.

If it is double edged, br prepared to clear your hand as soon as he establishes a firm grip.

Some people like to use two hands to return a knife, holding the handle near the guard/ricasso with the right hand and monitoring the tip of the blade with the left.

Swords, especially Japanese swords, have an even more complicated etiquette that differs for warrior class and aristocracy. Since most non-Japanese aren't into the subtleties of this, I like to "split the difference" by handing the sword back pointed straight up and edge to my right. I grip the end of the handle with my right hand and balance the guard with my left. This provides a lot of empty handle in the middle for the receiver to grasp and keeps the edge facing away from both of us.

To Earthworm, the idea of giving a penny or some other token in exchange for the gift of a knife is correct and is a practice followed by many seasoned knife guys. I hadn't heard of the symbolism of closing a folder, though it may be true also.

Cool question, cool answers. Thanks, guys.

Stay safe,

mike j
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

when passing swords back and forth, i find it depends on the blade.

-medieval type
(longsword, broadsword)
hold handle forward, blade backwards(over sholder)

-odd
(scimitar and such)
hand on handle, close to guard... other hand about midblade, with back resting on open palm

-oriental(katana and such)
sheath if available, otherwise like scimitar

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
crecy

Post by crecy »

I have heard about the custom of not closing a folder when handing it back. This came from a friend from Texas and my impression was that it is commonly observed down there.

Greg R. Beeman Si Vis Pacern Parabellum Semper Ubi Sub Ubi