Re-Texturing G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mundele

Re-Texturing G-10

Post by mundele »

I recently bought a used Military with hopes that I could bring it back to life. It has been used hard, but it is in reasonably decent shape. This is an older ATS-34 Military (fully serrated) with a 3-screw silver clip. The G-10 was either semi-polished initially, or it has been carried and used so much that it's now smooth. Is there a way that I can "re-texture" the G-10 to be more like my other newer Military?

Can the folks at Warranty and Repair do this?

--Matt
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt. It's possible, but difficult. I would contact Mike at Warrantee & repair.

sal
mundele

Post by mundele »

I saw some older "new" spydercos today at a show. By older I mean ones that have been around a while like the G-10 rookie and Standard and I noticed that the G-10 on them has a different feel than the G-10 of my CPM-440c military. Has Spyderco started using a different type of G-10 or maybe a different finishing technique on newer spydercos?

--Matt
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt. we've used a variety of manufacturers for G10 and finished them a variety of ways over the years.

sal
mundele

Post by mundele »

One last question for you Sal.... (if I'm not too much of a nuisance) The serrated edge of this Military has seen quite a bit of use and is quite dull. The teeth of the individual serrations are rounded now instead of pointy. I began sharpening it on the Sharpmaker but I think it is just rounding them off further. If I were to send this knife in to the Warranty and Repair Dept, could they regrind or otherwise restore the original shape of the serrations?

--Matt

P.S. Thanks again for all of your replies...
mundele

Post by mundele »

bttt