Serrated, Partial serrated or plain ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen E. Treat

Serrated, Partial serrated or plain ?

Post by Allen E. Treat »

To : ALL

Greetings forumites ! I just wanted to

conduct a survey of which type of edge

you use the most and why ; No prizes

or anything, just plain old F.Y.I..

I myself prefer the serrated edge on

my C29BK "Cricket" for overall cutting

power. How about the rest of you ?

A.E.T.
yog

Post by yog »

Personally I go with the plain edge. For me it is the most versitile.

I think serrations have their place, that's why I sometimes carry one. But I always carry a plain edge.

As for patial serrations, I would perfer to carry two knives (one of each). For me a partially serrated edges does not have enough of either type to be as effective.
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

I'm with YOG. One of each would be the best option. I am currently looking at the same type of everyday carry scheme. Both of my favorite folders are a combo-edge and wish that I knew then what I know now. (Hindsight is always 20/20)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

My top 2 spydie choices:
c49 Wegner jr 40/60
c29 Cricket serrated/c28 Dragonfly plain

I find the c49 offers about the right amount of both, while the 28/29 gives plenty to spare.

I prefer to carry a plain for most jobs, but any heavywork needs serrations. have you even tried to cut cheese with a spydie serated knife?

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like knives in all edge configurations, it all depends what I want it for, and sometimes even the model itself. I tend to like the Endura models fully serrated more than plain, and the Delica in both plain and full serrated. I like the Wegner and the Military and Calypso Jr. to be plain, and the SS Police model in both plain and fully serrated versions.
Jim
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

I prefer plain edge for my EDC. My only serrated knife is a G10 Harpy which was bought specifically to cut rope in emergency situations, either on the water or abseiling.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

All the knives in my EDC rotation, plus 2 of my 3 neck knives, are plain edge. Am thinking of adding my Avalanche to the rotation. It has a combo edge.

The only fully serrated blade I own is half of my Dyad. (Except my steak knives)

Stare
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I would have to say 50/50 on endura,delica,native and similar sizes.PE on police and millie depending on what they are used for.

J Smith
toast250

Post by toast250 »

I'm w/yog and gatekeeper, I usually carry calypsojr pe. w/endura ser. or mille pe. w/delica ser.With that said on vaca next week I'll carry a bm550 combo edge.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I find that after some experience, the plain edge design is a far better all-around choice for me. A serrated knife will work well enough most of the time, but is often a compromise when aggressive cutting is not required.

I have now purchased more serrated knives than I find I really needed, and sometimes wish that some had instead been plain edge selections.

Anyway, if I am to select a serrated blade it will be a larger knife as I find the teeth most useful on a longer blade, for effective "sawing" technique.

Obviously, they both have their place.

Jeff/1911.

Edited by - Jeff/1911 on 9/2/2001 11:57:29 PM
Alan2112

Post by Alan2112 »

It's a tose up between the plain edge, and 50/50. The Spyderedge is a not to distant second. RKBA!