Appraisal question......Civilians

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rebeltruce

Appraisal question......Civilians

Post by Rebeltruce »

Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I've visited the Spyderco forums.....I have a question.

I have four CF Civilians, one of each right and left handed, Spyder Edge, and PE. They are from the first run of CF Civies. All are new, with the original tags and cases, all numbered "13", from collector number 13 I believe....question is, and no I'm not selling them, what are they worth?

Truce

Post by 224477 »

I would suggest to check the Ebay, you should be able to find out ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you're not selling them, the value depends on how you look at things. Simplest answer is that, ignoring the collectors numbers, the four knives, sold individually would probably fetch around $1000 total on eBay.

As a set, it's much harder to figure. There were probably less than 100 "all variants" collectors who received a full set, some of those sets have already been broken up. That make the probability of finding a "matched set" for sale today pretty slim. So from that perspective, a numbered set is close to irreplaceable if lost or stolen. But most insurance policies won't cover things like that. From the opposite perspective, despite the collectability of the Civilian, finding someone interested in acquiring such a set might prove almost as difficult. Most buyers who take something like that on, do so to break the set up and sell the individual knifes, and are looking to make a profit in the process.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rebeltruce

Post by Rebeltruce »

The Deacon wrote:As a set, it's much harder to figure. There were probably less than 100 "all variants" collectors who received a full set, some of those sets have already been broken up. That make the probability of finding a "matched set" for sale today pretty slim. So from that perspective, a numbered set is close to irreplaceable if lost or stolen. But most insurance policies won't cover things like that. From the opposite perspective, despite the collectability of the Civilian, finding someone interested in acquiring such a set might prove almost as difficult. Most buyers who take something like that on, do so to break the set up and sell the individual knifes, and are looking to make a profit in the process.
Thanks for the response,.....I agree. I'm really just curious on what others may think as far as value. To me they are priceless, lucky number "13" and such. They've been part of my collection for quite some time....when they were sold to me I bought them one at a time. So you are right on the money so far as the person who sold them trying to make a profit.

I bought all four for way under $1000, I believe from collector 13 himself.

Thanks again for the response

Truce