Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
UK KEN

Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All

All over Europe, people who use a knife outdoors or are interested in "Bushcraft" have been using knives like the Ray Mears Woodlore Knife for a variety of cutting tasks. The knife is a very basic spear point blade but is IMO the best configuration for almost all outdoor needs.

How many people would be interested in owning a Spyderco "Bushcraft" knife?

With the closure of the Wilkinson Sword Factory, no orders being taken for the Woodlore knife because of too many back orders there is a large market for such a knife especially one made by Spyderco. :cool:

Cheers, Ken
Attachments
Woodlore.jpg
Woodlore.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 23031 times
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

well despite appearances i would think the Kumo would well fill accomplish that task, but one dosn't exactly feel right carrying something that looks like that on a camping trip.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
UK KEN

Not far off!

Post by UK KEN »

dedguy wrote:well despite appearances i would think the Kumo would well fill accomplish that task, but one dosn't exactly feel right carrying something that looks like that on a camping trip.
The Kumo is a great knife but for prolonged cutting/shaping jobs the handle is not suitable. I would also like a handle that I can use my thumb on the but as a stop when using the knife for boning out for example.

I have added a picture of the type of knife that would be ideal. :D

Cheers, Ken
Ted

Post by Ted »

UK KEN wrote:The Kumo is a great knife but for prolonged cutting/shaping jobs the handle is not suitable. I would also like a handle that I can use my thumb on the but as a stop when using the knife for boning out for example.

I have added a picture of the type of knife that would be ideal. :D

Cheers, Ken
Count me in for at least three. I was trying to bring up the subject at the A'Dam show, but Ed thought that the Hossom fixed blades would do the trick. I don't think those are suited for bushcraft.

I hope Spyderco will consider making such a knife. One thing, for me it would need to have either wood or micarta handles. FRN or G-10 doesn't fit in with bushcraft IMHO. A shape something like the fixed blade temperance, but with a stronger tip, full (tapered) tang, and slightly less 'pronounced' handle shape (more basic). I would prefer stainless over non-stainless. Preferably VG-10. And, with a real sharp spine for throwing sparks of a fire steel. MSRP of $180, resulting in an internet price of about $100 would be realistic.
Ging

Post by Ging »

Ted wrote:I hope Spyderco will consider making such a knife. One thing, for me it would need to have either wood or micarta handles. FRN or G-10 doesn't fit in with bushcraft IMHO. A shape something like the fixed blade temperance, but with a stronger tip, full (tapered) tang, and slightly less 'pronounced' handle shape (more basic). I would prefer stainless over non-stainless. Preferably VG-10. And, with a real sharp spine for throwing sparks of a fire steel. MSRP of $180, resulting in an internet price of about $100 would be realistic.
Wow, Ted that sounds amazing! Go on Sal you know you want to make it :D
Every thing here is Spyderific! My new word meaning 'great like spyderco'

Thanks Sal and everyone at BritishBlades.com for the UKPK :spyder: :)

I want a fully serrated UKPK :) Please Sal
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I have been reading up on bushcraft and the Woodlore. Although the Woodlore looks simplistic I believe it is supposed to have almost magical properties. If Spyderco were to make the Woodlore it would probably have to be an almost exact copy to become a success. I am not sure whether Sal & co are interested in making such a copy but if they do I will buy one.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Gerard Breuker wrote:I have been reading up on bushcraft and the Woodlore. Although the Woodlore looks simplistic I believe it is supposed to have almost magical properties. If Spyderco were to make the Woodlore it would probably have to be an almost exact copy to become a success. I am not sure whether Sal & co are interested in making such a copy but if they do I will buy one.
Well, I don't think it would need to be an exact copy. At the moment, I use my Fallkniven F1 for that purpose and it works very well. Only thing that I don't like about the Fallkniven is the handle material. The green micarta version also doesn't do it for me because of the bolster and lack of protruding tang at the back. I know I can get a bare Fallkniven F1 blade and do the handles myself, but I'm not skilled and prefer production knives.
A less 'exterme' Temperance, with more natural materials and thicker tip would be a good start! :D
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Ted,

As I have no real experience in bushcraft my opinion is almost solely based on what I have read about it on BB and related sites. There seems to be a distinct difference between a knife for bushcraft and a knife for general outdoor activities. A lot of models well suited for general outdoor activities have for different reasons been found less suitable for bushcraft. The Woodlore on the other hand has a large following as the design seems to be generally accepted to be the best suited for bushcraft. I believe therefore that there is a substantial demand for a Spyderco Woodlore already which is not neccessarily there for a Spyderco bushcraft knife. Although I am sure Sal & co could make a good bushcraft knife it could take some time to convince those that actually want a Woodlore to buy a Spyderco bushcraft knife.
UK KEN

Post by UK KEN »

Gerard Breuker wrote:Ted,

As I have no real experience in bushcraft my opinion is almost solely based on what I have read about it on BB and related sites. There seems to be a distinct difference between a knife for bushcraft and a knife for general outdoor activities. A lot of models well suited for general outdoor activities have for different reasons been found less suitable for bushcraft. The Woodlore on the other hand has a large following as the design seems to be generally accepted to be the best suited for bushcraft. I believe therefore that there is a substantial demand for a Spyderco Woodlore already which is not neccessarily there for a Spyderco bushcraft knife. Although I am sure Sal & co could make a good bushcraft knife it could take some time to convince those that actually want a Woodlore to buy a Spyderco bushcraft knife.
GB

I understand exactly what you are saying but Spyderco has an opportunity to produce a knife that could be immediately tested/compared to the Woodlore and the Fallkniven by people who know exactly what they need in a knife. I am convinced that based on Ted's pricing they would sell very well.

Cheers, Ken
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Ken,

As I said before I have no real experience in bushcraft and I know little about the bushcraft community. I am sure that with the help of the right people Spyderco could make an excellent bushcraft knife which would quickly get the attention of those who visit the forum and related sites.
Whether it would be a success would depend on the time frame, as other companies may very well have the same idea or plan to make an exact copy already, and the speed with which the message would reach the ELB (End Line Bushcrafter). If another company were to make a Woodlore and Spyderco were to introduce a Spyderco bushcraft knife I am not convinced it would be an immediate success even if it would be a superior knife. If Spyderco were to make a Woodlore on the other hand, as in an official collaboration, it should be a winner.
As I have been wrong on many occassions this would be a great moment to proof I can still be wrong of course.
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I'm always interested in this size outdoors knife. I don't feel there's anything at all magical about the woodlore, and no need to copy it exactly, there are loads of knives that work well in this size. I personally prefer a high flat or convex grind over the scandanavian grind for a number of reasons, and a bit more of a guard, which alas, gets us off pattern from the woodlore right away.

Would love to see a Spyderco knife aimed at the bushcraft market.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Ted wrote: I know I can get a bare Fallkniven F1 blade and do the handles myself, but I'm not skilled and prefer production knives.

Something like these Ted?

Pics from British Blades Forum.
Attachments
1tvidirh1.jpg
1tvidirh1.jpg (90.43 KiB) Viewed 7995 times
PICT0432.jpg
PICT0432.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
GJF1custom6.jpg
GJF1custom6.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 8275 times
Ted

Post by Ted »

Yes indeed. I contacted the maker about how much the first one would cost, but never got a reply. As with all bushcraft-style-makers, as soon as the word gets out, everybody wants them, and they have a waiting list of at least a year. That's why Spyderco needs to make a normal production piece! :D

About scandi grinds, one thing never made sense to me... A lot of people say it's easy to sharpen, since you can put the bevel flat on a stone, but in the fields that does not sound practical to me. First, you need a flat stone, and second, you need to remove a lot of metal every time. Way more then a normal touch up. A normal flat-grind or convex grind with secondary bevel at 30 and an edge at 40 sounds more practical to me. That's how I did my Fallkniven F1.

Jerry Hossom made a nice statement on Knifeforums about stainless vs non-stainless on his upcoming Spyderco/Hossom knives
Jerry Hossom wrote: Personally, I recommend stainless for an outdoors knife. Nothing will take the edge off a knife faster than in-sheath corrosion. The edge will go away long before you will see significant rust elsewhere on a blade.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Talking about the design, I tried a Chris Reeve Neil Roberts sometime ago as a larger camp knife. Sadly, the handle didn't fit my hand, due to the finger rest thingy. One thing I did like very much about the handle was the 3/4 choil before the guard.
So ideal for me would be - guard with 3/4 choil, and no spanish notch and no finger rests in the handle please.

oh..and I'm gonna post usefull and useless things in this thread and will keep bttt-ing it till Sal responds with his view on a bush craft knife :p
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

who is a good maker of these bushcraft knife. Im interested in them for my survival kit. Possible a model with an overall length of under 7"
JaM

Post by JaM »

I'm interested. Might even be a folder like the Wayne Goddard. At least a bladeshape like that, maybe a bit "rounder" even.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Vincent wrote:who is a good maker of these bushcraft knife.

Just about any decent knifemaker is able to make you a fixed blade to your specs. Both pro and amateur.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

If you are looking for a small (3"-4") fixed blade with a scandi grind, check out Charles May Knives. Mostly uses D-2 and his prices are reasonable.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
sal

Post by sal »

OK Ken, I'm listening.

What exactly makes it a "bushcraft" knife?

What are the specifics; size, grinds, handle, etc?

Let's design one here.

sal
Ging

Post by Ging »

[quote="sal"]OK Ken, I'm listening.

What exactly makes it a "bushcraft" knife?

What are the specifics]

Yay, Sal has said yes! I can't wait to see what the end product will be :cool:
Every thing here is Spyderific! My new word meaning 'great like spyderco'

Thanks Sal and everyone at BritishBlades.com for the UKPK :spyder: :)

I want a fully serrated UKPK :) Please Sal