You're not alone Deacon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

You're not alone Deacon

Post by spydutch »

Greetings you all :)

After looking at my older models, I must admit that I like a knife better without the boye dent. The handle becomes more flowing and it just looks nicer IMO.

Before it's early retirement I used my Standard at work for some real sturdy tie bands(?). I had to squeez the knife really hard and the knife never closed on me. It developped blade play(which it had to begin with) which was the actual reason I decided to retire it, but the knife didn't accidentally close on me once.

So I must say that I'm not totally convinced of the necessity of the dent.

The dent won't stop me from buying a knife though ( too little serrations will :eek: :D ), but I can very good do without the boye dent.

Are there anymore (except the Deacon of course ;) ) who could do without the boye dent as well?
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
dete

Post by dete »

count me in!
I dislike it as well.

:)
Bodieism

Me

Post by Bodieism »

I really don't think the boye dent serves its intended purpose very well plus its not aesthetically pleasing like a lock thats flush with the handle. I have both types of locks and it is extremely hard to unlock either of them by gripping the handle tightly. It is possible (on both) but the position I have put my hand in to do it is not the position I use to actually cut with it, so I see no point in it being there.
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
PSU

Post by PSU »

Hey spydutch, I am with you on your serrated campaign but I must say that I am ProDent!

I think that the Boye Dent is a great addition to the lockback design. I have used several lockbacks that only required a minimal amount of displacement in lock before it disengaged. On occasion, the locks of these knives would disengage when I gripped their handles tightly. The addition of the Boye Dent reduces the likelihood of this problem. From my experiences, I have never had a problem with a Boye Dent lockback disengaging at the wrong time. Also, I do not find it difficult to close the dent models.

On the issue of looks...I do not think that the Dent detracts from the looks of any of Spyderco's knives. Plus, when I buy a :spyder: knife I tend to choose more for function rather than looks :D

Tom
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

To tell the truth, I'm not really a big fan of it , either. At least from an aesthetic point of view.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Actually, it doesn't bother me, but nor do I love it. I stand neutral on the boye dent issue.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I love the dent. I like the looks. I like that it helps index the lock by feel. I like that it helps prevent accidental lock releases. Since when is Spyderco about appearances over function? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hum...... :rolleyes: kinda mixed... Like the looks of a knife without the dent.... Then as M/Cook mentioned it helps index the lock by feel.... If I had a choice to purchase the same knife with or without the dent.. Reckon I would go without.... That's my 2cents........
Easer to ask for forgiveness than permission…. :p
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Do I like it? I really don't know. I think I like it on my Caly Jr, but would do without on the Persian. I like to find the lock by feel, but I would manage without.

All in all, I think that there should be more consideration or thinking when they design a knife. The dent doesn't have to be mandatory.

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

PSU wrote:On occasion, the locks of these knives would disengage when I gripped their handles tightly.
Was this when you were actually using the knife to cut something or just gripping it to see if you could do it? I'm curious b/c the way I hold my knife to cut, I am able to grip with full strength and it will not disengage the lock.
Michael Cook wrote:Since when is Spyderco about appearances over function? :spyder:
For me the boye dent adds no function.

How many people have actually had a dent-free lock fail on them when they were actually using it to cut something?
-- Bodie

knightrider

Post by knightrider »

I think it's necessary and important personally. Not good looking on all the knives but functional. I agree that they all don't need them, maybe the 'classier' gents knives shouldn't get them, but on working knives I find the Boye Dent an important safety feature.

My first Spyderco, a gin-1 pe native, didn't have it, when I squeezed it in a hard grip it would almost unlock. I stopped carrying it for that reason.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I'm with you. I don't feel the need for it either.
As for looks, I think it turns a race horse into looking like a camel.
Manix Guy 2

OK by Me !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Boye dent is a good proactive arrangementment for any lockback . I would rather be safe than sorry .
cmd

Post by cmd »

I like the dent on some knives but no way should it be on all lockbacks.

A dent on a Kiwi would be stupid. A dent on a Pacific Salt needs to be there. Drawing a line somewhere in the middle is where things get difficult.

Chris
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

I like it, specially trying to open when you open by feel. Maybe serrations instead of a detente ??
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Boye dent is a good proactive arrangementment for any lockback . I would rather be safe than sorry .
The boye dent doesn't work well on all lockbacks. The Manix is a good example. I'm pretty sure I'd read a post by Sal on bladeforums that said it wasn't put on the Manix b/c it would have made it to difficult to close.
-- Bodie

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have yet to encounter a lockback that I could unlock by squeezing the handle ( at least while holding the knife edge down). Perhaps I am just too feeble (yeah, right :D )
Of course, I'm that guy who doesn't think locks are NECESSARY, just a nice bonus feature. I am pretty sure if I was cutting something hard with the spine of the blade on a lockback while gorilla gripping it, it would fold on my hand, Boye dent or no. Long winded way of saying the only purpose I see for that thing is to make it harder to close the knife when I want to. ;)
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

When only using one hand to close a knife I find it easier to close a knife with a lock (well :spyder: 's anyway) as opposed to a slipjoint.

Depending on how you use your knives I could see locks as being a necessity... well unless of course you like to make frequent trips to the ER to have your fingers patched back together. I've watched several people with SAK's pierce tough materials (thick plastic containers, tennis balls, etc.) with the tips of their knives only to have it fold on their fingers :eek:
-- Bodie

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yup, been there, done that, figured out what I did wrong, moved on. Like learning that chisel grinds do NOT cut straight, or the belly of a Cricket bites before you expect it when closing it. For me, the price of knowledge is blood, and I should start getting smarter any day now :D
PSU

Post by PSU »

I have had locks disengage during normal use. I can recall two specific instances. Both times, I was holding the knife tip down with the blade edge towards my body (I'm not sure what this particular grip is called). With one of them I was using a stabbing motion to pierce a thick cardboard box. The lock disengaged when I was pulling the knife out. I can't recall what I was trying to do the other time :rolleyes: One of the knives was an older FRN Endura and the other was a Gerber Gator. I believe that the Dent probably would have prevented my grip from disengaging the lock in these cases.

Interesting, as others have pointed out, the Dent is useful for indexing the location of the lock. I never thought of this before...but I do use that technique all of the time.