Sharpmaker Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nilaman

Sharpmaker Question

Post by Nilaman »

I'm contemplating ordering a Sharpmaker. I guess this question is more directed towards the people who own and actively use them.

For those of you who use their Sharpmaker, do you also use an Ultra Fine Rod to get the shaving quality edge or can that be obtained easy enough with the stock Fine Rod that comes with the Sharpmaker? I'm questioning if I need to order an Ultra Fine Rod now or if I should do it another time, if it's not really that important.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

you don't need it.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Get only the 204. When you stop being scared of what it does, then, get the UF.

I've been using the "set" for the past two years, and I still can't understand how this little gear gets my blades so sharp.

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I guess it depends on how high a polish you want to put on your blades. Most of my knives are used for utility, so I don't even go past the brown stones on them. However, I am glad I bought them because there are some blades I want a high polish on.

It reallly depends on your personal needs.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I would recommend getting the diamond rods and a good strop.
dialex

Post by dialex »

A regular 204 is all you need. It is a very handy and efficient tool and will get your knives shaving sharp. Once you get used to it, you'll see for yourself if you need ultra fine or diamond rods.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

if you want to reprofile an edge the diamond rods are very helpful. The brown stones don't remove material fast enough.

I can not stress enough the importance of a strop though. It will bring your edge to the next level of sharpness.
Texas guy

Post by Texas guy »

I hardly ever use mine, find that a utility edge off the brown or whites usually does a better job at cutting the materials I need cut.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Back to your original question:
You will be able to put a nice shaving edge on your blades with the set as it is.
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I can get a shaving edge with just the brown rods. When I go to the fine rods I get a scary sharp edge. I do have the ultra fine rods, I just don't find myself using them much because of how well the standard rods work.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

After using the browns and whites for a couple years, I have gone to using just the browns. I can get a hair popping, TP slicing edge with just the browns, and it lasts about 4X longer than when I finish through with the whites. I wanted the extra fines for a long time, but I think they are way overkill for EDC.

severedthumbs is correct about stropes, and they are not that difficult. I thought I had to order some special compound from Lee Valley or Hand American, nope. I know what they have is more refined and better than what I have, but I just glued and nailed (sunk the heads) a strip of old leather belt to a board and applied some gun metal polish from W-M, Hoppes9 actually. I know something with a bit of grit would do more, but this makes a large difference for being made of stuff I had laying around.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

I don't use the Ultra fine rods. What I do use and it works out great is a leather stop/hone with some Chromium Oxide on it. Here is a link. You can make your own easily but this isn't too expensive and works great.

http://www.drsharpening.com/leatherhone.html

I don't use the diamond rods either. It is faster to profile (or reprofile) using an x-course 2" X 6" whetstone that you can get almost anywhere or from DMT if you want the top of the line diamond whetstone. You only have to do this once in a blue moon because the Spyderco knives are made of such good steel that they don't wear much and hold a good edge.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/general/basicsharp.htm
charlie

Post by charlie »

I agree with Dialex; "A regular 204 is all you need. It is a very handy and efficient tool and will get your knives shaving sharp. Once you get used to it, you'll see for yourself if you need ultra fine or diamond rods."
I use my 204 for all my sharpening requirements, works great! :)
:spyder: Collector #047
C.P. Adams Jr.