A few words on the "Pirka Knife"...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rob

A few words on the "Pirka Knife"...

Post by Rob »

Well, I just searched the forums for posts about this knife and although it has been discussed, there's not much to find about it here on the forums.

Maybe some of you wonder what the **** a "Pirka Knife" might be, but I am sure that you've already heard of it as the "Mont-Bell Spydero" or the "Pilica" (I am still a bit puzzled why they call it Pilica in their catalog...).

However, I've already posted this picture here but to keep things clear here is it again:

I actually intended to write a brief review on this knife because you can't find much about it online but ended up with something that is more like a short article. Anyway, if you're interested in what I think about it, then please click here

Thanks for looking!

BTW, special thanks go out to one of our forumites here who helped me to get this knife over the pond! Thank you!

Cheers, Rob

P.S. Any assistance is welcome! If anyone of you can add data or facts to what I wrote, please speak up! Also if I'm wrong somewhere :o
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Rob, the only things I've been able to puzzle out are that the handle is that of the FRN Pro-Grip, and the blade, while having a dramatically different spine profile and a very slightly modified ramp, is identical to the Pro-Grip edge profile. Amazing how much different it makes the knife look. As for the spelling of the name in the US catalog, versus that on the box, perhaps that an error based on pronunciation differences. Considering the knife was never intended for the US market, I'm almost surprised to find any "roman" writing on the box other than Spyderco's name.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Nice review with good pictures. Nothing to add to what the Deacon said about the FRN Pro Grip.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Paul, good to see that you concur with me about the blade profile and the handle. :) But what about the upside-down writing on the clip? Do you own a C33 (OK, considering your collection I yould wonder if you wouldn't :p ) and could check? All other knives with molded clips - these that I own myself and these where I could find pictures on the web - have the writing the other way round.

"Pilica" and "Pirka" do not even sound similar in my opinion, but possibly you are right. Mistakes like that happen all the time.

Cheers, Rob
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Rob wrote:Paul, good to see that you concur with me about the blade profile and the handle. :) But what about the upside-down writing on the clip? Do you own a C33 (OK, considering your collection I yould wonder if you wouldn't :p ) and could check? All other knives with molded clips - these that I own myself and these where I could find pictures on the web - have the writing the other way round.

"Pilica" and "Pirka" do not even sound similar in my opinion, but possibly you are right. Mistakes like that happen all the time.

Cheers, Rob
i suspect that has to do with asian swapping of "R" and "L" sounds such as how "FLCL" or "Fooly Cooly" is pronounced by the japanese as "Foori Coori" and something like "Alucard" is pronounced "Arucard" and often even written as such.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good point, dedguy! I did not think about that, but now that you've mentioned it, there's some sense in it :)

Cheers, Rob
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I've never seen or heard of that knife, and I have to say, I am impressed!

pete
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Rob wrote:Paul, good to see that you concur with me about the blade profile and the handle. :) But what about the upside-down writing on the clip? Do you own a C33 (OK, considering your collection I yould wonder if you wouldn't :p ) and could check? All other knives with molded clips - these that I own myself and these where I could find pictures on the web - have the writing the other way round.

Cheers, Rob
Hi Rob, yes, just happen to have one of those. :o :D As you can see from the photo below, the writing on both clips is upside down.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

what may i ask is the purpose of the false edge along the top? i wouldn't think it would offer much if any additional strength or a signifigant drop in weight.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

That was a really really good review! Thanks for the info, nice knife. :)
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
Rob

Post by Rob »

dedguy, I guess there is no real purpose besides looking good :) Seriously, the spine of the Calypso Jr. and the Dragonfly is similar and the false edge/swedge on these models does also not serve a dedicated purpose. Simply regard it as a design element like the shape of the handle.

Paul, thanks for the picture! Interesting! This proves two things: The Pirka and the C33 might be the only Spyderco knives that feature a molded clip with upside-down lettering AND they did obviously use the same mold to make the handles of the C33 and the Pirka Knife. :D

Cheers, Rob
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Rob wrote:dedguy, I guess there is no real purpose besides looking good :) Seriously, the spine of the Calypso Jr. and the Dragonfly is similar and the false edge/swedge on these models does also not serve a dedicated purpose. Simply regard it as a design element like the shape of the handle.

Paul, thanks for the picture! Interesting! This proves two things: The Pirka and the C33 might be the only Spyderco knives that feature a molded clip with upside-down lettering AND they did obviously use the same mold to make the handles of the C33 and the Pirka Knife. :D

Cheers, Rob
True Rob, the mold is definitely the same, and I suspect that getting a bit more mileage out of it was one of the incentives for Spyderco to produce these knives for Mont-Bell.

As for the spine, I agree that it is strictly cosmetic. Given the choice, I prefer the way a blade looks without it myself, but am sure some folks find it attractive. My taste in blade grinds tends to be boringly simple. In any case I would not really call that a "false edge", more of a decorative bevel. The angle, IMHO, is too steep and there is still considerable thickness to the spine execpt at the very tip. The way I understand the term, a true false edge leaves a very narrow flat of constant width for its entire length.
Paul
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I had a thread about it some time ago (including pics), but I deleated once I found out the Pirka wasn't supposed to be sold from stores in the US. With e-stores it doesn't really make much difference as I can just as easily order from Great Britain or Japan, but something in the back of my mind nagged at me until I did it.

dedguy wrote:i suspect that has to do with asian swapping of "R" and "L" sounds such as how "FLCL" or "Fooly Cooly" is pronounced by the japanese as "Foori Coori" and something like "Alucard" is pronounced "Arucard" and often even written as such.
P.S. It isn't Asians overall that pronounce that way no more than you would say a Frenchman and a Russian European pronounce "beer" the same way. I believe you are specifically refering to the Japanese language. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
olorin15

Post by olorin15 »

The Japanese language has no lone consonants, except for nasal "n". The language is syllable-based, and consonants are always paired with vowels. On the pacakge, "Pirka" is translated into Japanese as "Pirika", but since "r" and "l" are not distinct sounds in that language, it may as well say "Pilika". :)
Dopeler effect - the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter, when they come at you rapidly.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Rob wrote:Paul, thanks for the picture! Interesting! This proves two things: The Pirka and the C33 might be the only Spyderco knives that feature a molded clip with upside-down lettering AND they did obviously use the same mold to make the handles of the C33 and the Pirka Knife. :D

Cheers, Rob
I think they did the same with the "K" model (also little known). The same handles, but the blade is more Delica looking:
Otherwise I like this knife. If it was made with better steel, I might have considered geting one.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

dialex wrote:Otherwise I like this knife. If it was made with better steel, I might have considered geting one.
Yeah it is a bit pricey for what you get...I have to imagine most sales are for collectors and speculators as it is kinda weird/rare but modern models are much better. :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zenheretic wrote:Yeah it is a bit pricey for what you get...I have to imagine most sales are for collectors and speculators as it is kinda weird/rare but modern models are much better. :p
I would have to agree with you somewhat, ZH. Aside from the interesting back-story, unless you are an integral clip die-hard, or a right hander who shares my loathing of the Boye dent, it offers little that cannot be had in other Spyderco models for less. I think that either whoever within the Mont-Bell organization responsible for the decision to send some of these to the USA was not aware of how deeply discounted Spyderco knives are here. Either that, or their stores attract the same kind of folks as Eddie Bauer, more concerned with being "in vogue" than with cost. I'm not sure how sensible an investment it would be for speculators, but it does hold a certain fascination for at least some collectors.
Paul
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Deacon wrote:I would have to agree with you somewhat, ZH. Aside from the interesting back-story, unless you are an integral clip die-hard, or a right hander who shares my loathing of the Boye dent, it offers little that cannot be had in other Spyderco models for less. I think that either whoever within the Mont-Bell organization responsible for the decision to send some of these to the USA was not aware of how deeply discounted Spyderco knives are here. Either that, or their stores attract the same kind of folks as Eddie Bauer, more concerned with being "in vogue" than with cost. I'm not sure how sensible an investment it would be for speculators, but it does hold a certain fascination for at least some collectors.
That is about par for the course... :p

Good point though, the Mont-Bell website did have that yuppie/camping Eddie Bauer flavor to it.

::glances down at Eddie Bauer shirt gilding my girth:: Hey what are you trying to say? :rolleyes: :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zenheretic wrote:::glances down at Eddie Bauer shirt gilding my girth:: Hey what are you trying to say? :rolleyes: :p
If it's any consolation, the flashlight on my key ring has his name on it. :o ;) :D
Paul
Rob

Post by Rob »

dialex wrote:I think they did the same with the "K" model (also little known). The same handles, but the blade is more Delica looking
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a blade from the Standard model they used on the K?
zenheretic wrote:it is kinda weird/rare but modern models are much better.
Exactly my opinion considering what Mont-Bell asks for them. As I wrote in my text, a D4 with better steel and a better construction can be had for less money. People who are looking for a cheap knife won't buy it either as they tend to get other stuff that costs a fraction. I guess that only fanatics like us :D are willing to pay what they ask for this kind of knife although it wouldn't be a bad user at all.

Cheers, Rob