martial artist EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gatekeeper

martial artist EDC

Post by Gatekeeper »

I'd be interested to hear about anyone with martial arts background that would suggest some EDC (3" max- legalities) options from personal experience.

I've been a humble student of Shaolin Kempo Karate for the better part of 11 years and can never seem to find a blade that satisfies me for more than 6 months. My EDC must consist of both utility (mainly) and self defense (hopefully never). Am I addicted to steel???
fossilhunter

Post by fossilhunter »

I was just looking at this one before I came here

http://www.bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa ... ber=582822
yog

Post by yog »

Hi Gatekeeper.
I've been a Matial Arts practitioner for about the same length of time, mostly un-armed apart from some batton work.

Because knife laws are so much stricter over here (UK), I tend to carry a knife that is inoffensive as possible when I know I'm going to be in a built-up area (Delica or Calypso Jnr), knowing that I can turn on the offensiveness if absolutly neccessary.

Like a wise man once said, the best defensive knife is the one you always have with you.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

The best practice with any knife, is to always carry in the same spot. it will be printed into your brain, and you can grab without looking for it.

I always have a knife clipped to my right/front pocket, and my sheath knives are always on my right hip, horizontal carry.

I can grab either one without looking, and without thought.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

what is edc?
satori

Post by satori »

Check under the MBC forum for postings on the Yojimbo knife Mike Janich is working on. You'll be interested. I saw prototype drawings and a fixed blade design. It is great as a utility as well as a fighter. I've a martial arts background in JKD as well as Phillipino Martial arts. I've been in martial arts about 20 years. I attended the MBC classes in Colorado recently with Mike Janich. Great class!!!
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

EDC=EveryDayCarry
Thanks to all. I will check into these ideas.
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

oh ok

i am gonan carry my native ss 50/50 everyday whenever i get it...and probably a spyder card plain everyday also..
Rory Quinn

Post by Rory Quinn »

Hi-

Some Spyderco designs like the Starmate and Military seem to me to follow more traditional tactical designs, but three of the newer designs appear to offer features that might be relevant to someone with a lot of training:-

1: The Gunting- obviously ! Personally I don't think control tecniques can be learned easily or quickly, but if anyone has a chance of using the Gunting well in the closed position it's someone who has invested time in training.

2: The Chinook- It's bowie design with upswept tip offers a sharp tip for back-strokes, 'witiks' etc. I read a review suggesting the swedge could be sharpened for true Bowie-style usage but I personally don't think I could put an edge on mine, not with it being made out of the steel that it is.

3: The Masaad Ayoob- OK, I can't verbalise it, but it just feels like a martial artist's knife when it's in the hand.