Questions on used Military model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike V.

Questions on used Military model

Post by Mike V. »

Hi all

I finally got a Military. It was used but in excellent condition. This particular knife is in ATS-34, has engraved info on blade, and has a 2 screw stainless clip.

Can anyone tell me when this one was made?

Mike
Mike V.

Post by Mike V. »

OK

I'm answering my own post. I saw on the Spyderco history page that the Military came out in 1996, and was modified in 1998. I would have to assume then that the clip was changed to a 3 screw in 1998. Were there any other significant changes that anyone knows about?

Mike V.
mundele

Post by mundele »

I remember a post concerning changes to the Military model on this forum maybe a month or two ago. There have been quite a few changes I think (all fairly minor though). I dont remember the post stating dates or anything, but you might want to do a search and see if you can find it.

here's a short list of the changes (as far as I can remember)

*ATS-34 -> CPM-440C
*2 Screw Clip -> 3 Screw clip
*Silver clip -> Black clip (?)
*Grooves where the thumb ramp is and on the choil originally, on the latest ones, there are grooves on the thumb ramp but not on the choil area.
*Seems like later ones are made with tighter tolerances that gave a more secure lockup. Not sure about that one...

Those are probably all wrong.

--Matt
mundele

Post by mundele »

Ahhh.. Found it..

here's a link
http://www.spyderco.com/forum/Topic.asp ... tion+Forum

yuck. anyone know how to paste a link?

The topic title is "MILITARY KNIFE IMPROVEMENTS"

--Matt
Mike V.

Post by Mike V. »

Mundele/Matt

Thank you for the info. I went to the link you posted (very interesting). I think all the changes you mentioned were on the money.
I was happy to see that they all seemed to be minor refinements. The older version is just as tough as the new models.
thanks again......Mike