HELP ME DECIDE!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kraziekurtis

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:21:56 PM
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I have the Cricket in serrated myself. With the Delica and Wegner jr, I never have to wonder what to use. I've been using the cricket since March...

The Cricket sees the most use, and the Wegner jr takes anything the Cricket can't. The Delica is just for the sheeple(soon to be replaced by the SS Dragonfly I've had for a week).

The Cricket is easy to handle, and the curve handles nearly any job I've tossed at it. I find the front 1/2" gets used the most, but thats just on boxes. The back 1/2-3/4" has an ideal curve for my hand, allowing me to do small tasks by going back and forth(VERY carefully I might add).

The only thing that might be done to improve the cricket, is make a 4" version with the same ratios. The civ/mat line is too thin.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...

Edited by - vampyrewolf on 8/29/2001 3:53:57 PM
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

For anyone to give you a really effective answer, you need to be as specific as possible about how you see yourself using the knife/knives you're asking about. The laws governing blade length in your area would be nice also.

You can buy a number of Spydercos for under $50. Probably the most knife you can buy is the Endura or the Wayne Goddard Ltwt. You're talking nearly 4" in length, and about 3 5/8ths". That's quite a bit of knife for someone your age to be toting.

The Calypso Jr. Ltwt/FRN can be bought for under $50. So can the Dragonfly, Delica, Cricket and the SS Jess Horn at AG Russell. Probably others that aren't crossing my mind at this moment.

While this isn't the appropriate place to list them, there is a substantial number of good knives made by other manufacturers that cost less than $50.

I do think you've chosen very wisely in choosing the Native. It is a great knife. I'm partial to the FRN handle and 440V steel, but AUS10 isn't bad at all. Personally, I see the Spydercard as a knife to fall back on when nothing else is available or working. If it is going to be the knife you haul out to take care of the many tasks for which a knife blade is the most realistic solution, then I'd find something different, particularly if you opt to carry it in your wallet. Taking out your wallet every time you need to cut a loose string or open an envelope would get real old, real fast for me.

I'd probably suggest you carefully consider the Calypso Jr or the Dragonfly.

Stare
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:24:32 PM
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:25:47 PM
br44

Post by br44 »

The cricket has always been one of my favorite knives and works great for putting your car keys on. You'll never loose them as long as you keep it clipped on your pocket. Recently I switched to a Harpy for my keys and am really enjoying that bad boy. I've bought FRN Natives for under $50.00 so you might just want to go that route. Okie dokie!
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:26:36 PM
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have a ser. dragonfly very nice small knife. Can't say much about price it was my first spydie. I was at the local walmart about 7 years ago saw it liked it never heard of spyderco before.It was the last one no box no upc the manager sold it to me for 12.00 i've carried a spyderco ever sence.

J Smith