Spyderco ATR SS: bronze, teflon or nytralon washers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Spyderco ATR SS: bronze, teflon or nytralon washers?

Post by GarageBoy »

I brought a used, serrated one off ebay and it has white teflon washers. Are these stock? It's REALLY smooth, though
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Nice catch.

I will check mine tonight to see what washers it has. I think they are nylatron though. Really a smooth opening knife though.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Hi Garageboy, just curious and not trying to attack you or anything but what inspires a person to take apart a smoothly functioning knife to check the washers?
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:Hi Garageboy, just curious and not trying to attack you or anything but what inspires a person to take apart a smoothly functioning knife to check the washers?
Because he can. ;)

Wish I had a better answer, but that's why I take mine apart. I could care less what washers are in there most times, as long as the knife functions properly. If I can take it apart, I will :p

Ok, sorry to hijack, I'm curious as well, I've never seen teflon washers on a folder. I didn't think they were suited for it. Yes they're more slippery than PB or Nylon, but they also wear fast, and are prone to breaking as well...I think... :confused:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I didn't take it apart, I could see it through the lockbar. BTW: it's a used ATR anyways =D.
jlh2600

Post by jlh2600 »

I just want whatever washers that are advertised. If I'm told they are P.B., they should be P.B. Regardless how smooth it is, regardless how little business I have taking it apart.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm just wondering if the knife was opened up before I brought it.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Yea, I'm just wondering if my knife had it's original washers changed
jlh2600

Post by jlh2600 »

GarageBoy wrote:Yea, I'm just wondering if my knife had it's original washers changed
Ah didn't catch that it was used. Still, that'd be weird, someone swapping that out.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

jlh2600 wrote:Ah didn't catch that it was used. Still, that'd be weird, someone swapping that out.
Why? It's one of the easiest things to tweak on a knife. Perhaps the previous owner preferred teflon to PB. Heck, half the people on this forum prefer PB to nylon, so I can see them taking their knives apart to change the washers.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Sundown

Great question, Zen!

Post by Sundown »

zenheretic wrote:Hi Garageboy, just curious and not trying to attack you or anything but what inspires a person to take apart a smoothly functioning knife to check the washers?
I'm not GarageBoy, and I know he already answered that he in fact did not take the knife apart, but I thought I'd address the fundamental "to take it apart or not to take it apart" question.

Some of us are "knifenuts", and as such, we like to see how our favorite things work. We like to "tweak" things and generally become familiar with the objects of our hobby. I have yet to meet a mechanic/HAM/computer geek/gun-nut (or the like) who hasn't, at one point or another, broken down an engine/radio/computer/gun (or the like) just for the heck of it.

Granted, there are "collectors" here, too, who would never even think of doing something as shocking as taking a knife apart. They, too, have a valid reason for doing what they do (or DON'T do). That is the great thing about a forum like this. We all get to benefit from each other's experiences and input. I'm darn glad you asked that question. :)

Best wishes,
Sundown
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
jlh2600

Post by jlh2600 »

smcfalls13 wrote:Why? It's one of the easiest things to tweak on a knife.
Then he should have told the buyer as much.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Sundown wrote:I'm not GarageBoy, and I know he already answered that he in fact did not take the knife apart, but I thought I'd address the fundamental "to take it apart or not to take it apart" question.

Some of us are "knifenuts", and as such, we like to see how our favorite things work. We like to "tweak" things and generally become familiar with the objects of our hobby. I have yet to meet a mechanic/HAM/computer geek/gun-nut (or the like) who hasn't, at one point or another, broken down an engine/radio/computer/gun (or the like) just for the heck of it.

Granted, there are "collectors" here, too, who would never even think of doing something as shocking as taking a knife apart. They, too, have a valid reason for doing what they do (or DON'T do). That is the great thing about a forum like this. We all get to benefit from each other's experiences and input. I'm darn glad you asked that question. :)

Best wishes,
Sundown
Good points Sundown. I'm a hybrid knifenut collector I guess, but I just don't like to mess with stuff that is functioning correctly. OTH, I loved Wouter's dissection of the Delica, and a previous dissection of a Dodo, so I could finally see the guts. :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Taking apart a perfectly functioning folder?! I'd never do that.... :D ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

jlh2600 wrote:Then he should have told the buyer as much.
I agree, that would have been the proper thing to do. Not all sellers are that honest though.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Thanks! So, what should the stock material be?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Anyone? Thanks