Sal, whats up with this????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toolin

Sal, whats up with this????

Post by Toolin »

I was wondering why you use different steels for different handles on the same knife. You do this on the Delica, Endura, Native, and Calypso jr. I wanted to buy my girl a ss Calypso jr. but it did not have the VG-10 steel I love. I ended up buying her a SS Native, even though it had AUS-10 steel and not 440v. Why do you always give the SS versions of your knife the lesser of the steels? Thanx.
Mike V.

Post by Mike V. »

Toolin

I have seen this question come up here before. They use lower cost steels in the stainless steel handle knives to bring the unit cost down. The combination of the more expensive handle material, additional finishing required, and the more expensive blade material push the cost of the knife up higher than what they determine the market will bear. I am just paraphrasing but I think thats the gist of it.

Mike
yog

Post by yog »

Personally I would pay more for a SS / VG-10 version of any knife.
Toolin

Post by Toolin »

Her birthday is Sep 5th and the UPS man should be coming today to drop it off. I am going to have it engraved "Happy 19th Christine, Love Matt. It has a large enough handle so I dont think it will be a prob. I will also include a Photon 3 white light in the Spydie box. She walks around her collage alot at night and I would feel better if she had those items.
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:10:58 PM
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:12:44 PM
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 3/27/2002 2:14:13 PM
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Toolin. Sorry if my "playing" with all of these steels caused you grief.

There are many good steels. There are many new good steels. We cannot put all of the steels in all of the models. I can tell you that they are all good steels. Even our "price sensitive" models will not be less than AUS-6. Most of the market is not aware that one steel is different than another. We do the "steel thing" more than any other knife company because I am interested in providing these steels to all of you knife aficianados and we both get to experience and learn.

Spyderco introduced: ATS-55, VG-10 and CPM-440V into the production market.

I notice that Boker is also one to intro new steels.

Would you prefer that we picked one steel already being used? Then thee wouldn't even be a VG-10 in the market place.

Hope that eases the pain.

sal