Spyderco with COATING ON ENTIRE KNIFE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Spyderco with COATING ON ENTIRE KNIFE

Post by bh49 »

I saw STANDARD with black Titanium aluminum nitride coating on entire knife, even primary edge is coated. How to sharpen this knife? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hi Bh49,

Spyderco never offered a Standard coated in Carbon Nitride in our product line. My guess would be it was coated aftermarket. As for sharpening, where sharpening stone meets the knife's cutting edge, the coating will come off when the blade is drawn across the stone. Hope this helps.

Joyce @ Spyderco
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Joyce, thank you very much.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

If you're talking about these...

http://www.johnfjensen.com/acatalog/cat ... d%20Knives

They were an after market modification.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i see they finally sold out of the gold coated ones. they were butt-ugly imo!
John F Jensen

Post by John F Jensen »

It is probably one of our knioves. With each one we include a letter of description and warranty. In part here's what our letter says:

"THE GOLD IS TITANIUM NITRIDE (TIN) WHICH IS VERY HARD AND EXTREMELY DURABLE. IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN BY BUCK KNIVES TO ALLOW A SHARPER EDGE AND SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE EDGE RETENTION.

THE BLACK/DARK GRAY IS A MULTI LAYERED TITANIUM ALUMINUM NITRIDE (TIALN) COATING OVER THE TITANIUM NITRIDE. AS STATED ABOVE, THIS ALSO HAS HIGH EDGE RETENTION QUALITIES AND IS EXTREMELY DURABLE.

BUCK KNIVES DETERMINED THAT SHARPENING ONLY THE BEVELED EDGE WILL PRODUCE THE SHARPEST AND LONGEST LASTING EDGE. IF A BURR OR ROLLED EDGE IS FORMED ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE, A SLIGHT HONING TO REMOVE IT IS IN ORDER.
"