Merlin or Harpy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BladeMaster

Merlin or Harpy

Post by BladeMaster »

Ok,a couple of months ago, after reading a few magazines, a book, and a watching a few movies that featured the Spyderco Harpy, I decided that I had to have one. I looked in the Y2K dealer catalog and saw what I now know as the Merlin listed as the Harpy only with a "BK" after the model number.I ended up buying the Merlin. I figured that this was the same thing as the Enduras and Delicas with SS and FRN handles, but the difference in names between the Merlin and Harpy made me wonder if they are really more different then they look. I mean, why didn't Spyderco just call these knives the Harpy and HarpyII or the Harpy and Harpy Ltwt?

So my fellow forumites, please help me with this question... The Merlin is just an FRN version of the SS Harpy. Right?

"I'll be back" - Schwarzenegger, The Terminator

Edited by - BladeMaster on 8/24/2001 10:23:26 PM
Frankiecrabs

Post by Frankiecrabs »

Yeah, they're basically the same. The main difference I know of is that the Merlin has a 2.5mm thick blade, and the Harpy is 3mm. I think the reson for that is because the Merlin uses the same handle as the Delica, which is also 2.5mm. The difference is visibly noticeable, but I don't think it would affect the general performance of the Merlin.

Perhaps, maybe, someday Spyderco will make a Merlin utilizing the Endura handle (hint, hint)...

Frank

Edited by - FrankieCrabs on 8/24/2001 10:37:57 PM
scolby

Post by scolby »

I concur with what is said above. The Merlin clip is the reversible type, wheras the Harpy clip is right hand only.

I think that the 0.5mm blade thickness is fairly significant both in weight and in cutting drag. But the pros/cons of each depend upon your intended use.

I generally prefer the Harpy over the Merlin both for looks and heft. I just wish the Harpy had the enlarged clip/lanyard hole like the Merlin/Rescuse/Endura/Native knives.

Maybe this could be an upgrade in the future Sal.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur