The plight of the MOUSE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The plight of the MOUSE

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one Spyder that literally fell through the cracks in my opinion. It is even a design that actually took off well with another knife company. I own one but I have only ever physically seen 2 of them. The MOUSE may indeed be the most overlooked, most obscure Spyder ever. The MOUSE I feel should have had the potential to explode on the sales charts.

I hope some of you know it's history. Because I just can't help but believe that it might have been the victim of poor timing like about 3 others I can think of i.e. big C-54 Calypso, Jot Khalsa, & Matriarch.

But the MOUSE may have been the most unique and obscure Spyder ever. It definitely is in the top 10 as far as coveted Spyder collectibles. Where did it go wrong :confused: ?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

Well, JD I don't know the history of the knife. It seems like it was a wegner design. I know that Blade-Tech is now putting out it's own mouse. It comes in either FRN with 440c or carbon fiber with s30v. YOu probably know this already, but they are on the Blade-Tech website.

There appears to be some interest in smaller knives...who knows, maybe spyderco will bring it back one day.

It seems like a nice little knife.

:)
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

dedguy

Post by dedguy »

i do believe there was some... issues... involving the production of the knife in relation to... other factors outside Spyderco's control. i'd personally love to have one if i could ever find one (one of the Spyderco ones).
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
sierra

your killing me here

Post by sierra »

where are the pictures?
sierra

sorry - grew up and used the search button

Post by sierra »

that is a nice little knife! I would buy one.
JD Spydo

Got them both

Post by JD Spydo »

Plowboy wrote:Well, JD I don't know the history of the knife. It seems like it was a wegner design. I know that Blade-Tech is now putting out it's own mouse. It comes in either FRN with 440c or carbon fiber with s30v. YOu probably know this already, but they are on the Blade-Tech website.

There appears to be some interest in smaller knives...who knows, maybe spyderco will bring it back one day.

It seems like a nice little knife.

Yeah I got both of them. I do like the Spyderco VG-10 version much, much better than I do the Blade-Tech version. This is really an enigma to me. But it's not the only Spyder that I don't think really gots it's day in the sun. The big C-54 Calypso was also overlooked IMO. The Spyderhawk also had way too short of tenure. It is kind of neat that all 3 of them have a cult following of sorts among collectors.

I wonder if any of you Spyder website guys/gals like Ted & Simona might know how many of the MOUSE model were made?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Woody

Post by Woody »

As for the Mouse... Took me about 3 years to finally track one down.... And have the funds at the time to pull the trigger on it... :cool: I carry it from time to time..... However it is usually locked up in the safe....
Attachments
P3090009.JPG
P3090009.JPG (55.18 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Easer to ask for forgiveness than permission…. :p
bell

Wegner/Bladetech better

Post by bell »

Since Spyderco did not get sufficient market response....Wegner made his own knife of his original design and did it even better via Bladetech. Now available in G-10/S30V or a more economical model with the same super design. This little scalpel is my edc. Spyderco no longer needed for this model.
Tom Walker

Post by Tom Walker »

The Blade Tech version of the Mouse is well made IMO, but the Spyderco hole just seems to work better than what Blade Tech uses, It may be just me being partial to Spyderco though.
http://www.newgraham.com

New Graham Knives, New Graham...Since 1935 TOLL FREE: 1.866.333.4445 :spyder:
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

I have a carbon fiber blade tech mouse, and I like it! I had wanted the Spydie version but could not find any. Besides, guys are asking too much for it. I guess owners now are keeping it for posterity, not to use. Never handled one but fron pics, I think the blade tech is better, specially the grind and the S30V blade. The frn with 440C can be had for $30.00 also. For the right price, I would still get the Spyderco mouse.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I like the Bladetech Mouse better, because after all it's an improved version of the original, and also because I'm not into aluminium handles. But I'd love it even more if it came with a simple round hole ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

Dialex,

This may be off the subject, but I hope your Gentle Bug makes it into production. I hoping for G10 and a premium steel. The Gentle Bug would make a great replacement for the now "trapped" Mouse.

If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

surawut

Post by surawut »

I also would like to buy the gentle bug in either G-10 or FRN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Sharpest thing you need to have is your mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Number 3 here :D

I would buy a G10 Gentlebug with serrations and clip in a heart beat ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
bell

Like the Gentle Bug

Post by bell »

The Gentle Bug Design is really cool.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Spyderco didn't market the Mouse. It was manufactured for Blade Tech, who did all of the marketing and distribution.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

i was under the impression... perhaps the innaccurate impression that some difficulty went down between Tim Wegner and Spyderco... i don't know i'm probally wrong.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Tom Walker

Post by Tom Walker »

I couldnt see it being to much trouble since the recently introduced Spyderco Ocelot is wegner designed. Great knife by the way.
http://www.newgraham.com

New Graham Knives, New Graham...Since 1935 TOLL FREE: 1.866.333.4445 :spyder:
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

The way i see it, the mouse just happened to be in the wrong place, wrong time. If it were available now i would pick one or two up in a heartbeat. I have been looking at the bladetech 440c ones for a while now, and my just have to get one since i cant afford the real deal.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

I have both the blade tech mouse in S30V and 44C. Frankly, the Japan made model is better made and finished.