Forum improvement request.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
severedthumbs

Forum improvement request.

Post by severedthumbs »

Can we get larger avatar sizes? The 50x50 just doesn't allow for much of an avatar.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

If it is possible, it would be great Kristi!
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

It is sometimes difficult to make them out at the current size. However, if it meant sacraficing something else on the forum, it would require some consideration.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The only issue I can foresee largers avatars causing would be slower load times when opening a page. Might not amount to much at all, but those with slower connections may find it frustrating.

Not very familiar with that aspect of message boards, so I'm not really sure if that's even an issue.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Senate

Post by Senate »

bigger avatars mean more bandwidth traffic, which is usually what you try to keep low on the server side.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Al

Post by Al »

Are ye sayin ma heid's too wee!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Dear :spyder: friends,

with all my respect one question:

What is the advantage of a larger avitar size?

First of all I'm interested in all your most professional and also in your sometimes drolly comments and at least in fantasy-avitars.

Further I think that TazKristi does a wonderfull honorary job for all of us (besides her pofessional job) and we should not burden her accessorily.

Altough I would wish me some alterations (e.g. splitting in custom collaborations / sprint runs / sharpening / byrds) :o

Spyderco does a great job for all of us - take a look at the outfit of the current 2006 catalog. I'm sure you agree: We could be patient, they work for us and are always focused in innovations :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I have to say, I don't mind the 50 x 50 size limit. I've been to forums, on other sites, that have some strict limitations. Such as the following:

1- A small army of Moderators who cannot come to a consensus on what constitutes spam. Imagine getting banned because what you posted was fine by one Mod's standards, but not by another one's.

2- Being limited to posting attachments that are only 400 x 500. (That's not that big). Shrink the pic down so it'll fit, if it looks bad, well; too bad. :(

3- Not even being able to use your own custom avatar!

4- Being able to look through your post history, but not being able to tell if there are new posts on a thread that you've posted in.

5- Having only a handful of smiley icons to choose from. ;)

6- No "Edit" button! :eek:

I mean honestly, the way the :spyder: forums are set up; best out of all of the ones I've seen! ...... And it's free! I don't mind the 50 x 50 avatar. :)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Peter1960 wrote:Dear :spyder: friends,

with all my respect one question:

What is the advantage of a larger avitar size?

First of all I'm interested in all your most professional and also in your sometimes drolly comments and at least in fantasy-avitars.

Further I think that TazKristi does a wonderfull honorary job for all of us (besides her pofessional job) and we should not burden her accessorily.

Altough I would wish me some alterations (e.g. splitting in custom collaborations / sprint runs / sharpening / byrds) :o

Spyderco does a great job for all of us - take a look at the outfit of the current 2006 catalog. I'm sure you agree: We could be patient, they work for us and are always focused in innovations :D
The Advantage? More Avatar Choice!
I've just come across several Avatars that I have liked, but have been too large for this forum. It's not really that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice to have larger ones if possible.

I would never try to burden Kristi(well sometimes we do bug her a lot I guess :rolleyes: ), she does a wonderful job here when she really doesn't have to, I was just curious as to whether we could get a bit larger, like I said, no big deal if we can't. Just asking the possibility.

I believe Kristi will tell us straight up if it can be done or not, I understand the reasons that would get in the way, this forum is already the best out there IMO and I would not want to make drastic changes just to get a bigger avatar :) .
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Sorry everyone. Our current version will not allow me to change the size. I'm working on a possible upgrade, but not anytime soon at least not until we can test it and see how it will effect the forums. I'll keep you updated if I move forward with it, but as I said, it won't be anytime soon.

Great idea though!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

TazKristi wrote:Sorry everyone. Our current version will not allow me to change the size. I'm working on a possible upgrade, but not anytime soon at least not until we can test it and see how it will effect the forums. I'll keep you updated if I move forward with it, but as I said, it won't be anytime soon.

Great idea though!

Kristi
Thanks for responding Kristi, it great that you always keep us infromed. Don't work yourself too hard to suit our every whim, you do so much for us already :)

You Are Awesome :) :)