Sal & Ed in Oregon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwa

Sal & Ed in Oregon

Post by spyderwa »

Had a chance to visit with Sal and Ed at the Oregon Knife Show in Eugene today. Wonderful folks! They had a ton of prototypes to show. Other than what has been posted, I can't discuss, but if you think the new models so far have been great, just wait. There are some incredible projects in the pipeline.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Attachments
OR Show 2006 002sm.jpg
OR Show 2006 002sm.jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
brainus

Post by brainus »

Now you have me all antsy about new stuff! My savings account is shaking with fright.
swede

Post by swede »

Spyderwa,
I was there all day Friday. I talked with Sal & Ed too, and also met Bob Lum (nice guy). You can't find Sal at one of these shows without his pulling all sorts of prototypes out of his backpack.
I wish I could have met you too.
Maybe Forum members should all wear some kind of funny hats so we can identify each other!!!
Dave
spyderwa

OR Show

Post by spyderwa »

On Friday he was just pulling knives out of his bag. On Saturday he had them all laid out on Ed's table. It was rather like being the kid in the candystore. I had a great time talking to Sal and associates. Sal is a person that is passionate about creating knives and pushing the boundries. I also picked up misc. bits of Spyder lore and history. Overall a fantastic show with some great finds including a new in box SE Spyderwrench and PE Military.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

I always pictured the blademaker Sal being more Odin-esque. I would rather meet Sal than George Bush. You guys are lucky. Here is how I envision him presenting a prototype.
swede

Post by swede »

Spyderwa,
Did you get the PE Military from an older gentleman on the right rear side of the room? I bought a jigged bone Horn and a SE Military from him Friday, saw the PE one in the morning. Good prices, eh?
Dave
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Wow, that is cool that you got meet Sal & Ed!!! That is most awesome.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

I don't know if my bank account can accommodate all these new designs! So much to look forward to in the coming year. Thanks for "pushing the boundaries" Sal!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
spyderwa

OR Show

Post by spyderwa »

Hi Swede, I think I got it from the one you mentioned. You must have gone through before I did because I didn't see the ones you found. Regarding the Horn, you mean the one with the odd opening notch on the blade? Hard to find. Overall there were not a lot of Spydercos. A few older ones at full list and a few used ones at unrealistic prices. I can't complain too much since I have been wanting a older PE Military to go along with my Forum Military and CF Military. I ended up doing some trading of knives that I brought. I started with a lightly used Benchmade Automatic and finished with a Tom Brown Tracker and Scout Combo. I left mid-day Saturday but wish that I could have stayed for the rest of the weekend. I suppose that at some point my wallet appreciates leaving such target rich enviroment.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
spyderwa

True nature of Sal

Post by spyderwa »

Hi redhawkk44p, It is funny that you should post the Photoshop pic of Sal. There is another pic that I had not planned to post, but if you really want to see the true nature, the take no prisoners attitude, just look at the fate that awaits the knifemaker that does not bow down and pay tribute to Sal. :eek:

spyderwa

Sal really does have a sense of humor, and is really, really nice.
Attachments
OR Show 2006 003sm.jpg
OR Show 2006 003sm.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

That is a great pic Spiderwa. I guess Sal is more Sonny Corleon-esque than Odin-esque. :D ;)
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

At least now we know why the Kris blade is wavy. It is hard to grind a blade when someones hands are around your neck.

spyderwa :)
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

LOL I can see that! Him grinding and Sal choking and shaking. :D :D :D
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

spyderwa wrote:At least now we know why the Kris blade is wavy. It is hard to grind a blade when someones hands are around your neck.

spyderwa :)
ROTLMAO... :D

Great pictures :cool: In that first picture they both look guilty, like they're hiding a really cool Prototype that we don't know about yet :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
swede

Post by swede »

Hi Spyderwa,
The Horn was indeed a PE version of the hole-less model. A real gem. You're right, there weren't many interesting Spydies, but I also collect Gerber Paul knives. There were lots of them there, but mostly pricey. I did have the honor of meeting Paul Poehlmann, the inventor of the Paul. Just like Bob Lum and Ed Schempp, a real nice, humble man. Great memories!
Your pictures really capture the joy of the show.
Take care,
Dave
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

The Horn is a real find. I do think that this is the best show in the world for Gerber, Kershaw, and Paul knives because of the local connection. I do not have a Paul yet, but I am sure I will at some point. I think that the knife community at this show tends to be a great group overall. The biggest reward that we get from these shows is the inside knowledge of all of the movers and shakers. Not only trade and business stuff, but also history. I picked up some neat info on a "Q" knife model that i was unaware of. I will put it on my website at some point. I think the Oregon Show is somewhat unique in that it is really an enthusiast's show rather than a trade show. It is a great place to absorb knowledge which is given quite freely. I do have enough stuff for a table or two but I would rather wander the aisles and shop. Overall a great show. I will certainly go next year.

spyderwa
swede

Post by swede »

I agree completely. Maybe we'll meet up next year.
Dave
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Cool pics Spyderwa thanks for sharing!
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the pics and stories. Now you really made me anxious with those secret projects.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanks for the pics and stories Spyderwa :cool:

Indeed Sal is a very nice man ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p