Low Rider Break through

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Well, STR, if you think Sal is onto something, I have a Rescue, Merlin, and 2 Natives that I would love to have riding a bit deeper in my pocket! :D

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

That clip is a very clever design STR.

Kudos,

-Patriot
STR

Post by STR »

Sal.

Thanks for the input. I don't think I'll be moving forward with something like that though. It sounds do-able but too much like a 'real job' and I'm not looking for that at this stage in my life. If someone else wanted to take off with the idea though it won't bother me none. :D

On another note. Do you know, or can you find out the thread size of the barrel bolt used in these clips?

I may be more inclined to see about a purchase of smaller head size screws to fit the bolt so the hole drilled in the clip to access the mount position doesn't have to be as big. This alone would allow more metal. I've thought about trying to find a convenient way to reduce the size of the one on it too. It may be possible to place the barrel on these knives on a small dowel rod and let the sander have its way with it. That would probably reduce the diameter of both heads and probably fairly evenly for the purposes of mounting a clip.

In the event that I make more like this I will make the next ones thicker than this first prototype.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

STR, how about using a bushing in the existing hole to bring the diameter down, then use a smaller head screw with a barrel head sized washer that could slide inside the bend of the clip before you put the screw in. That would make for a smaller hole in the clip also. Tolerances would have to be somewhat tight though, and it may just be too many parts.

I tried to sketch it out.

Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

I hope you don't mind if I make some suggestions? :D Again without seeing it in person, the clip may function flawlessly and I hope I'm not steping on any toes.

The reason the clip would fatigue at these narrow spots is that they create a hinge point and when the clip is bent, say when sliding into the pocket, all of the bend is concentrated at these two points instead of evenly along the whole length of the clip. For instance the wire clips and even the Kopa clips both have smaller or similar size cross sections, but as far as I've seen there haven't been any reported problems.

Thinking of it this way there are other options to preventing the problem besides just making the clip wider. You probably don't have a mill machine, but you could make a kopa like, deep pocket version that would spring evenly along the length. The easiest fix would be to take a pair of pliers and twist those two narrow spots (either in or out) to make the clip stiffer in that section and force the clip to bend uniformly along the uniform width section. I suspect that it would only take a small amount of twist, but if it took too much, then twisting out would give more room under the clip to keep from wearing the pocket and or prevent from riding low enough. You could also try drilling more holes down the length which would spread the bend out over more hinge points.

Did my eyes decive me or did sal say they have a low ride clip for the three hole style? What would be really sweet would be a small plate that would clamp a low ride wire clip (ala UKPK) to three hole clip knives.
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

STR: You ARE a genius!!! That IS amzing!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
butch

Post by butch »

dont know if it is posable but how about seein if you can get ahand full of barrel bolts then form the clip around the bolt with just a 3/32 slit on the outside of the clip to put the coin in for tighting it down
you would never be able to get the bolt out of the clip short of bending it but you would have a stornger clip that way

just a thought thats how i would do it but then again i have a mill and think a bit strangly

butch
argyll

Post by argyll »

b-elliott wrote:Did my eyes decive me or did sal say they have a low ride clip for the three hole style? What would be really sweet would be a small plate that would clamp a low ride wire clip (ala UKPK) to three hole clip knives.
Sal has said more recently on the other forum that there is no current plan to offer a low ride clip as an after-market accessory for the Endura and Delica 4. :( The gist of it was that they are waiting to see how the knives sell before making any decision. Personally, I'm rather disappointed.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

Spyderco is usually so good about giving their customers what they need. This seems to be the exception. I will buy the Caly 3 but not the Endura 4 until I can get a low rider for it somewhere.
STRs beauties are on my list.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

STR,

Truly an innovative design -- congratulations. If you do decide to get into the market with these clips, I'd be interested in buying one (or more)... ;)

Good luck!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
STR

Post by STR »

I was going to suggest a pass around with just this clip if there were enough interested in seeing it. I just put this one on the blue Rescue for the pics and took it right back off so its sitting in the box now.

Its kind of funny really with these low riders because although I make them for everyone else I don't really care for them myself. I've grown used to having my shirt tail hanging out since retiring and my knives don't show anyways so it is of no benefit to me really. On my Waved knives the low riders just make it that much harder to grab the knife and use it IMO. Then you have to put a lanyard on it just to get the knife out properly and that kind of defeats the original intent.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Steve, could you not find a way to just have a small hole on the clip side for a small tool to hold that side while tightening on the opposite side?? That is the downside of highride clips, nothing to grab hold off.
Tank

Post by Tank »

STR,
I recently read in a thread that a couple of nickles was the easiest way to tighten and untighten the screw on the barrel bolt type clips. If this is the case you could always just put a slit in the clip that would allow a nickle to fit, it would give you more steel thus making it stronger. Just an observation.

Love the idea of a low rider clip for sure.. nice job.
-John
bell

Low Rider

Post by bell »

Just received my Caly Jr. upgrade in green Micarta with lowrider clip. Fantastic! Dont know why Spyderco has been so reluctant to do LR clips but they seem to be responding with the Caly 3 which looks like a cool low rider wire clip. BTW, there is something "soft" about the ti clips in the pocket which is really nice. Way to go STR!
argyll

Post by argyll »

STR,

Have you tried making a low-ride for the Endura/Delica 4 yet?

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

argyll wrote:STR,

Have you tried making a low-ride for the Endura/Delica 4 yet?

Best regards,

Argyll
I think that we missed putting post #20 in the casual bombshell thread. That may already be in the works :D

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
STR

Post by STR »

I doubt I'll get many requests for those if Sal has ok'd the production of them from :spyder:

STR

STR's Blog
argyll

Post by argyll »

STR wrote:I doubt I'll get many requests for those if Sal has ok'd the production of them from :spyder:

STR
Ah, but that's the point. At this time as I understand it, Sal doesn't have active plans to introduce low-riders for the 4's. However, if I knew that you were able to make them, I'd go ahead and pick up one of the waved models when they come out shortly.

Best regards,

Argyll
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Scott,
I was living under the impression that I already replied to this thread as I noticed it from the very beginning. :o
Congratulations on a great idea and a very neat way to put it into practice. I made a lowrider wireclip for my Delica and I found I have problems extracting it from IWB (not enough grip for the index finger). Your clip, with that large hole seems to solve this just fine. Not to mention it adds to the uniqueness of your blue / waved / wharnie Rescue (drool) ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
STR

Post by STR »

I think you are referring to me so I'll just say thanks and by the way, my name is Steve. :D

Its kind of funny that you call me Scott because people do that around here local to me all the time. Apparently I have a twin out there running around or something.

STR

STR's Blog