Lock back, liner lockand millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Caleb

Lock back, liner lockand millie

Post by Caleb »

Why do not use a lock back rather a liner lock on the millie I think the liner lock weaker,expensive and difficult to manoeuver.

Thanx for precision answers
Toolin

Post by Toolin »

I like the feel of a liner lock better then a lock back. I can close a liner lock with one hand better then a lock back. Also the liner lock on the Military is alot stronger then a normal one.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

I have to agree with Toolin. Liner locks that work are not weak. I seriously doubt that many people, if any, could hang onto a knife torqued so strongly it would bend the liner.

It seems to me that the expense in liner locks comes primarily in the design/engineering area. Once it has been figured out properly, then it is simply a matter of accurate measurements on the parts.

It may be because my first decent knives were all liner locks, but I find them easier to manuever one-handed than all lockbacks, and some frame locks.

If the Military or Wegner were to get a different lock, I'd much rather see the compression lock, or a frame lock used, than a lockback. The fact that the Wegner is designed so that easy lock failure would not amputate any fingers of the user, makes me feel quite comfortable using it as my primary strong hand carry knife. And it's lock isn't as strong as the Military's, I believe.

Stare
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Caleb. First of all, When we designed the Military model, the liner lock offered nice features, one of which was the ability to make the model very light. We also pay a lot of attention to making it correctly.

Were we to change the lock on the Mil, we would, at this time, opt for a compression lock, as Stare mentioned. We also use the Mil for testing and there are two more new locks in R&D that will be tested in the Mil pattern.

When we do the next refinement of the Military model, we will more than likely also change the lock.

Right now, it is probably one of the most effective and reliable linerlocks on the market.

sal