Men's Journal ranks SpydeRench best multitool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clipiteer

Men's Journal ranks SpydeRench best multitool

Post by clipiteer »

Not sure what issue, but it was under the "must have" things or something like that.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the info. The tool was just featured in a couple of men's magazines recently as well.

sal
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hi Clipiteer,

Thanks...we just discovered that at the Outdoor Retailer Show last weekend! Any ideas from you forumites how to get the 'womens market' interested in such things?
Joyce

Edited by - Joyce Laituri on 8/21/2001 9:04:46 AM
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Joyce, How to get women interested ??? Have a look at what Leatherman did with the "Juice"
model that is about to come out on the market. A smaller "tool" such as this with implements
that women want in it would attract the ladies I'm sure. The SAK is close but it's still a GUY
tool. Nobody that I know of has really looked at a "tool" for ladies. Do they need screwdrivers?
Do they need fingernail working tool's? Do they need string cutters. Do they need a very fine
needle nose for delicate work?? I think you might get the idea. a guy tool customized for
ladies. I know my wifes purse would be lighter.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

I'm sure KenN knows far more about advertising than I ever will. Just have a couple points to raise.

IMO, the knife world is not making hay while the sun shines on custom makers like Audra Draper and Dellana.

The fact that a lady so beguiling as Audra is a Master Smith I believe could have some real mileage made from it. Of course, it might help if she made more knives intended specifically for women, instead of users, which she learned from Ed Fowler.

Dellana makes art knives at a high level. She too is fetching enough to make a good subject for a print or video feature article. I don't want to sound chauvenistic, but I believe that female makers with a noteworthy level of "feminine charms" would be easier to "sell" than a lady who resembled a sore elbow, however talented she might be.

Maybe that is antiquated thinking. If so, I apologize. I do think though that as knives in general seem to be downsizing a bit, that attracting potential female customers might be easier than it would be with a SIFU or Chinook.

It also seems to me realistic to go after the females who are already involved in outdoor sports/avocations, like runners, triathletes, climbers, etc. I know if my daughter suddenly decided to be a runner, I'd equip her with a small knife that could be of real value self-defense-wise.

WHile Spyderco already has a large # of smaller knives, I think that knives like the Kershaw Chive, and the little SOG knife that is clear plastic handled -- sorry, can't remember much -- are going to be quite popular, particularly with the kinder gender.

I believe I'd try to market something primarily for women, but still useful enuff men would also buy it.

Stare