Renegade Question/Problem ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
grant

Renegade Question/Problem ?

Post by grant »

I just recieved my Renegade today and though I really like the design the knife is tight as ****. I put some Tuff-Glide on it and worked it in but it really didn't help. I loosened the screw but it was still hard to open. I compared it to my other Spyderco lockbacks and they opened much easier. Is this a problem with the Renegades? Is it something that will improve with continued use or should I send it to Spyderco to look at?
Besides the tight opening the workmanship on the knife was excellent as I expect from Spyderco.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Hi Grant. My Wegner was more stiff than I could believe when I got it. Even now, at a point where I'm content with it, it is stiffer than every other folder I have.

Spyderco makes their knives to tight tolerances. They allow/provide less space between the edge of the tang and the insides of the handles/liners than most other knife companies, by a reasonable margin.

I am a TufGlide fan. I like it a lot. But, when a knife is stiff, it is going to take a minimum of 4-5 applications, plus some work before things may really smooth out. At least on the new Spydercos I've bought. On the other hand, I put one application on a new, moderately stiff CRKT Mirage the other day, and it went to the point I probably could wrist snap it out without bothering to use the thumbstud.

I'd give the pivot of your Renegade a couple drops or more on each side, at roughly 24 hour intervals for 3-4 more days, and see if it doesn't loosen up to a level you can live with.

Of course, some people prefer other lubricants, like White Lightning, Militec-1, and a host of others. Some swear by the lube sold by Chris Reeve knives. Kind of pricy, but allegedly very good stuff.

Good luck!

Stare