AUS-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
80L

AUS-10

Post by 80L »

A few weeks ago I got a Native II and I've used it quite a lot. Mostly for cutting cardboard. It has the 50/50 blade and I've noticed that the plain part seems to have dulled considerably....the serrated part is still amazingly sharp. Aside from the cardboard I cut up a bunch of old shirts for rags, and cut a lot of plastic bindings. Anyway, my question: is it normal for plain edged blades to lose their sharpness that quickly? Its still sharper than most knives I have, but I have noticed it doesn't have that razor edge it had out of the box.

Also, I am sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know the story behind the spyderco name? Just curious...
Toolin

Post by Toolin »

Cardboard will dull a knife very fast. It is very rough and pretty thick. It is normal to dull a knife blade on it.
dbcrossfire

Post by dbcrossfire »

get the spyderco 404 sharpener, that brought the edge back to my 50/50 native.
80L

Post by 80L »

Thanks for the info. I think I will be getting that sharpener.
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

80L, you might want to get the model 204 shaarpmaker- It will sharpen virtually anything, but it just depends on your preference.

clipiteer

...and i'm fresh out of bubblegum.
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

80L, read the post "sal-spyderco history". Clay quotes the Spyderco Story" explaining the spyderbug logo and name.

clipiteer

...and i'm fresh out of bubblegum.