Query on Gunting design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mancer

Query on Gunting design

Post by Mancer »

Hi Guys, just a query for those who designed this gr8 blade (aka Bram and so on..)

My LEO buddy (whom Ive converted to a Spydienut now) is in "rehab" after a shooting, his been on me for ages to show him this Gunting "Yawara stick" weapon his heard so much about.

This guy is very very skilled with short stick/yawara stick as well as many other martial arts weapons, his been toying with these things while I was still in nappies.

Anyways he was very impressed with the design, but, he said to me the only thing he doesnt like is the ramp (the / on the top of the blade for pressure point use), if you hold your gunting upright with the clip facing you, the lower curve of the ramp is fine, but the top one I must admit when holding in fistload position is fairly heavy on the top index finger, his exact words to me where: "his worried if you hit someone with this you gonna hurt yourself"

Im just curious if the curve at the top was made that much more steep to strengthen the spine or....?

Im talking about if you had to hold as a fistload, the section your index finger rests on.

Curious to find out your comments.

Btw as I said his very impressed, said its just right, specially for taking out joints like knees, elbows, collarbone and so on.

Thanx guys

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

yup..you're right I did design it..
go watch the tapes..thats easier than describing it.."just joking.."
Obviously he needs to play with it more..
the DRONE that is..no playing with Gunting..
Tomahawk to fistload..
The ramp is not supposed to stick out between your fingers..its support only...in fist load position..
use the butt or head for striking..
Tomahawk to fist load and back again is an easy transition..
Marc has the tapes..so does Deon..
Hurt yourself?? no way..
its not heavy on the finger..your'e not striking with your fingers..
the curve fits the arc of the palm of your hand in Reverse grip position, and is the curve for thumb /hand retention in forward grip blade open..
iuts also used closed to do come along..lower ramp curve is takedown..

see ya
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

sorry.It wouldn't let me post a response and then posted it a bunch of times by itself..
SORRY!

Edited by - BRAM on 8/20/2001 12:13:28 PM
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Edited by - BRAM on 8/20/2001 12:12:31 PM
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Edited by - admin on 8/20/2001 12:11:29 PM
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

I see said the blind man........
Ok, no you see the thing is, ages back he was talking about yawara sticks he used while under training many years back, the ones he spoke of was literally like a stick, exept it had a "ramp" that stuck out between your index and middle finger, it fitted in your fist in that position.
Its this reason that he held it like that and made those comments, I see we actually had it backwards in fistload (the wrong way).

I want to get myself a trainer and tapes ASAP but am out of work at present, my contract ended a few weeks back, so Im batteling as far as cash on hand is conserned.

Thanx a mill Bram

Seeya

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum