Fugata impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydersam

Fugata impressions

Post by spydersam »

I actually posted this in the original thread asking about more information on the Tak Fugata but noticed the thread didnt move to the top so I am posting as a new thread:

Out of curiosity I just purchased the ceramic spyderco Tak fugata.

I am not sure I understand how the hipping causes the blade to be blue?

It is a small elegant knife that is beautifully finished. The blade seems fairly sharp to me thought not quite as sharp as a good vg-10 steel, and the handle is made out of some type of magnesium.

No spyderhole or clip so it joins some unique distinguished company for unique spydercos. Sal mentioned he has a ceramic blade that had a spyderco hole.

Although i dont think anyone would be crazy about a sprint run, a ceramic blade lum chinese folder with the appropriate color handle? maybe titanium would look beautiful.

I googled the maker tak fugata and very little information came up on the knife or the maker.

Does anyone have any other information on Mr. Fugata, other knives, or his interesting piece in spyderco history.

Thanks

Sam
shabbasuraj

Post by shabbasuraj »

pics please
spydersam

photo

Post by spydersam »

I hope this upload picture from the jensen website works. I gave my wife a collector number non titanium herbst to carry. When she saw the svelt cute fugata we made an instant trade!

Sam
Attachments
fugata.jpg
fugata.jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
spydersam

photo

Post by spydersam »

in the picture you can see the name of the maker on the lock release at the back of the handle, Tak

The knife doesnt say spyderco but my understanding is that it was imported from japan by spyderco.

This is a relatively rare creature since spyderco isnt making ceramics and less than 500 were made according to a post by Sal.

I am curious about the blue color of the blade. Sal described "hipped" but I am not sure exactly physically what is done to the blade? hydro-isostatic pressure something?????

Sal you out there?

Thanks

Sam
spydersam

more fugata information

Post by spydersam »

I found this while searching the forums and am more amazed by the work to make this little blade.

I wonder given the paucity of comments on this forum, does anyone else who reads the spyderco forum actually own a tak fugata spydercos only ceramic knife?

Check out this technical information from 2002:

Spyderco did import and sell a ceramic blade in the early '90s (model TK01) made by Japanese maker Tak Fakuta.
Specs:
-Overall length-open 4 3/4"
-Overall length-closed 2 7/8"
-Cutting edge 1 3/4"
-Weight 1 oz.
-Came with a synthetic suede sheath
-Handle material: blanked and formed from magnesium alloy with stainless steel pins
-Blade material: Yttria Tetragonal Zirconia Polycrystalline-similar to Zirconia diamonds found in jewelry. It's fired at 3000F and then hipped. Ground with lapidary equipment because it's 9.2MOS.

Translation...it was expensive with an MSRP of $100.00 in 1993.

Pryguy is right it was 'holeless' and 'clipless'too.

Joyce
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Hey Spydersam, it may be that you will be our resident Tak expert with all the research you are doing. Many may not consider it a Spyderco at all as it is just an import by spyderco as you have already stated rather an actual Spyderco knife, therefore they haven't looked into it. Nothing wrong with being the first though to be bitten by the Tak bug.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
spydersam

fugata expert?

Post by spydersam »

Thanks for the word fo encouragemen. I dont think that I will achieve expert status since Sal and company have probably forgotten more about this knife than i wll ever know. :D

I know the knife doesnt have a spyder hole but that makes it even more unique and it was imported and sold by spyderco. The description really indicates the blade material is more like a zircon diamond material?

I am surprised that this material cannot be made quite sharp. I use diamond surgical blades in my work and the blade is so sharp there is no tactile response when passing the micro-blade thru human tissue.

My diamond knife is also my most sophisticated and expensive blade with a titanium handle and micrometer setting to achieve a specific depth of penetration/cut by adjusting a micrometer gage on the blade handle.

Ok I am digressing back to the fugata. Does anyone else own one of the least understood spydercos?

Sam
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Uhhhh, on a sidebar, could you post a pic of your diamond micrometer knife, please? That sounds very high tech and super cool, not to mention super expensive? I'm low-ball guessing $1500 ? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

WOW, that is a beautiful little knife!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
spydersam

the picture is limited

Post by spydersam »

The knife is small and elegant. I have no idea how durable that blue cermic blade is. I was so intrigued by the ceramic that I ordered a boker ceramic folder, 2040?? The one with a titanium handle I know the ceramics are supposed to be more fragile but i am not much of a prying person for knife usage so the supposed advantages of blade holding abiliy over steel has got me looking.

The fugata is still available thru the jensen website.

Sam
spydersam

my work knife

Post by spydersam »

There are many surgical diamond blades. Some of them are designed soley for a specific single step in the surgical procedure. The unit I use has a micrometer at the base of the handle that I can dial from 0 to 1000 microns.

See the attached photos. It really looks very different from a "knife" that you might EDC or use for MBC! :)

Sam
Attachments
diamond 2.jpg
diamond 2.jpg (4.4 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
duckworth and kent micrometer diamond 1.jpg
duckworth and kent micrometer diamond 1.jpg (13.34 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

I'm confused! Tak Fugata or Tak Fakuta. So the pictured knife is not the Spyderco knife. The Spyderco was made by Tak Fakuta and the one on the picture is a Tak Fugata, no relation to Spyderco.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dannyvi wrote:I'm confused! Tak Fugata or Tak Fakuta. So the pictured knife is not the Spyderco knife. The Spyderco was made by Tak Fakuta and the one on the picture is a Tak Fugata, no relation to Spyderco.
They are talking the same knife just spelling the name wrong...it is Tak Fugata...
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
spydersam

fukata or fugata

Post by spydersam »

I was confused when researching the knife too but from the comments i read from the spyderco moderator that i posted earlier in this thread I belive it was imported sold as a spyderco?

I will look up Sal's comments and paste into this thread. It was very interesting what he said.

Sam
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

I used to have aBoker ceramic folder but I gave it up as I had to ship it to Boker to be sharpened. Would a diamond sharpener do it? I never tried.
John F Jensen

Post by John F Jensen »

Tak Fugata was a knifemaker who I think also worked for or at Sakai Knives.

The Tak Fugata knives were imported and distributed by Spyderco. I believe they were made expressly for Spyderco but not sure. They were never sold or advertised as a Spyderco knife, only as a Tak Fugata.

It was during this time that Spyderco was also importing and distributing the Moki, Sakai, Solo, Taiyo and Hiro knives.
spydersam

sharpening

Post by spydersam »

I dont know much about sharpening but I do recall reading someone on one of the forums saying it could be done with the proper sharpening (correct hardness) rods?

If anyone has experience sharpening I am curious since i recently ordered a boker ceramic out of pure curiosity.

Sam
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Boker is very...particular :rolleyes: ... about sharpening their ceramic blades. As previously mentioned, they will sharpen them for you (for $12), and they probably consider any other sharpening to be some sort of abuse. As for the best way to sharpen them at home, I have no idea. I've never had to sharpen my Boker, and chances are, neither will you. They're just that good. (almost as good as ZDP-189 :eek: )
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
spydersam

hardness of ceramic versus zdp

Post by spydersam »

This is the part i still dont understand about the element of sharpness?

If my diamond blades i use for surgery are super sharp and never need sharpening. If the zirconium in the fugata is super hard, harder than zdp? why does it not take an edge at least equal to softer steel?

That is one thing Sal mentioned that it was difficult to get the ceramic as sharp as steel?

The reality is that i am not much of a mbc person and self defense for me is the tertiary need. What i need is a sharp never dulls cutter.

Can ceramic do this. We will see.

Mr. Jensen thank you again for the fugata knife and the great service. You are sitting on a major collector treasure trove. According to Sal 500 or less of the fugatas were made/sold/imported???

That will be a collectible to someone one day, they just have to appreciate it as such.

I still have turned up not much on Tak Fukuda or Fugata ?spelling?

Sam
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Guys, just got the last Tak from Mr. Jensen. I will update when I get it. :D