Cheapest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scolby

Post by scolby »

Let me be the first to say cheap ain't the nicest way to put your question.

The least expensive Spyderco is the Ladybug and Ladybug II. The Cricket and Dragonfly lightweights would be next. You can see the MSRP of all current products by clicking in the upper right hand corner of the page you are reading and then clicking "Shop Factory Store". You will then be able to click through all the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). Many dealers do not sell at these prices. YMMV.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Spyderco knives are not the least expensive on the market. But, by and large, I think they represent very solid value.

CRKT offers a few knives that are less expensive, and they are good in fit and finish. But, all are liner locks -- well except for the Stiff KISSES and PECK and Companion. Many people have difficulty trusting liner locks.

I know what it is like to be on a budget, so please don't take this wrong. But, I do feel that the prices for the Harpies and Merlins are are very fair for what you get. I'd just save up longer and get what you really want, rather than settling for knock-offs -- that might be dangerous to use -- or a knife with a design you don't like nearly so much.

If you're not aware of them, you might check the knives for sale at Blade Forums and Knife Forums. Often you can get a very good shape knife for quite a bit less than the original cost. Of course, many sellers are not anxious to sell internationally though.

Good luck.
yog

Post by yog »

It's not quite as simple as that.
Although all knives are to a certain extent multi-purpose, most are biased towards a certain task, i.e. the Gunting for defence, the Tim Wergner for skinning, the harpy for rope cutting, the Civilian for slashing, etc. This is especially true of the Spyderco range.

First think of the purpose you want to put the knife to, then if you are strapped for cash look for the least expensive model in that range.

If you are looking for a relativly inexpensive multi purpose knife you can't go far wrong with either the Delica or the Calypso Jnr.

One final bit of advice. I have found like many others that you get what you pay for. Personally I would rather buy one expensive knife that lasted 20 years than 1 cheap knife a year. This is why I keep suggesting the Delica with the G-10 handle and VG-10 blade, it would be expensive for a small knife, but I'm sure it would sell by the bucket load to people who valued quality over quantity.
Mike V.

Post by Mike V. »

Until recently I used to think that Spyderco knives were expensive. now 20 Spyderco's later I have a great appreciation for their quality. I carry one or two every day. In my limited experience I find them to be sharper out of the box than other brands, and fit&finish has always been great. I really think that the quality-to-dollar ratio of Spyderco is the best in the industry. All that said, here are my three suggestions. They're all sharp, and can probably be had for $35-40.

1. Michael Walker lightweight/FRN
Very nice little liner lock, AUS-8 steel

2. Delica/FRN - It's a best seller. The curent model has the excellent reversible pocket clip, and comes in ATS-55 steel.

3. Calypso JR lightweught - My personal favorite for a lightweight every day carry that won't scare the timid. It uses VG-10 steel and is the sharpest of my VERY sharp Spyderco's. I must admit that I also like the little yellow spyder on the pocket clip. I consider myself a member of an elite club when I proudly display that spyder.

Good Hunting!!

Mike
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

If you start collecting "this & that" when you start your collection you'll wind up with a collection
of not much at all of interest. Focus you collecting on one or two features of the knife types. As
an example..I collect yellow handle knives & large folding hunters. Why? Because after some
thought I decided I just liked them and (important point here) I enjoy them. I use my spyderco's.
I also quickly discovered that if I didn't limit myself I was spending LOTS of money on knives
I DIDN'T like and wound up in a dresser drawer waiting to be sold. Not the way I care to spend
my hard earned wages. Only you know what you really like. Sart with one kind of knife and
slowly grow from there. Good Luck & enjoy the trip......
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hannibal. What makes Spyderco expensive is the materials, engineering, fit and finish that we put into a knife so that it performs well for a long time.

Performance is based on use.

If you have no plans to ever use these knives, you wil not likely experience why they cost more. It is much easier (and cheaper) to make a knife that looks good and does nothing. Kind of like a sculpture.

sal