Rockwell tested my manix, how can this be?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Cook

Rockwell tested my manix, how can this be?

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Well, my wife took in my manix to work (she's a setup in a Q1 rated factory) and rockwell tested it on the big free standing rockwell hardness tester. Well, all I can say is she had the opposite of Simona's experience! Her normal various parts came in at their usual hardness of 58-64 but the manix came in at 81.6 Rc! :eek: I reckon' the diamond tip may have hit a tiny bit of superhard carbide and given the higher hardness number :confused: ? Otherwise this things hard like glass! :eek: She tested it on the ricasso. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Michael Cook

amature science!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Tomorrow she's taking in a Chinook II and a delica 3, we'll see what happens! :cool: :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

This is most interesting!!!! I can't wait to see about the other knives that you are sending!!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Holy crap, that's a substantial difference.

Keep us informed as to how the others fare, this is kinda unusual. I would assume it's a mistake in the read, or some kind of fluke. At that high of a hardness, the Manix blade would shatter when it hits a staple in cardboard. :eek:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

You have my attention, and knowing Sal it won't be long until you have his attention as well. Very peculiar...

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

There has to be an error in the reading. Otherwise the thing is almost as hard as carbide.
STR

Post by STR »

Normally I think they test in more than one spot just for such an occurance. I know when I get stainless liners back from Paul Bos there are at least three Rockwell test divets on each liner and sometimes as many as five.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Ed Schempp

RC Tests

Post by Ed Schempp »

Yes you might have hit a pocket of Vanadium carbide. The riccaso is a small area and is difficult to test with blocking on the anvil of the RC tester. I usually do three tests even if the first comes back in parameters it might be an anomaly. I always inspect the marks post test; they should be consistant with the reading. A RC reading in the 80 leaves an almost impreceptable mark. Good luck in your evaluations...Take Care...Ed
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

That can't be right. Are you sure she didn't accidentally take one of your "ceramic" blade Boker knives instead of the Manix?

http://www.premiumknives.com/ShopSite/B ... nives.html

Unless the rumor about Spyderco making a super duper ZDP-189 blade Manix is really true and you accidentally got a test model.
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hi Michael,

Let us know the results of her second test. Very interesting!

Joyce @ Spyderco
bh49

Rc 81????????

Post by bh49 »

Sorry I do not want to be rude; but most likely, this is measurement error. Rc of core of harden steel usually in upper sixties max., carbides are in mid seventies. According to hardness charts, Rc goes up to 80.
Most likely, it was used different from C scale or penetrator was damaged.
There is good chance that it was Ra scale Ra81.2 is correspond to Rc60 and this is where Manix should be. The only difference between A and C scales is weight settings. possible that somebody who used tester before change weight from 150 kg to 60.
R
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: It was a measurement error, the factory uses the ra scale indeed and not Rc the delica and native came in at 75.5 and 97.9 respectively so I guess all is well. :o :spyder:

smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

So what would that equate too, I'm not familiar with the ra scale? :confused:

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I dunno, my wife's currently walking around bugging foremen looking for a conversion chart. ;) :spyder:

s0rce

Post by s0rce »

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: It was a measurement error, the factory uses the ra scale indeed and not Rc the delica and native came in at 75.5 and 97.9 respectively so I guess all is well. :o :spyder:
Now you got me. Ra 75.5 is 49.5 Rc. You do not want a knife with 49.5 Rc.
97.9 Ra does not exist. Ra 92 is a max.
Send your knives to me I will check hardness. I will not do it on mine, I would hate marks from testing
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

So the Manix blade was about RC 60 from what I could guess, unless I read that chart wrong.

Sounds a little high, I thought Spyderco kept S30V a little softer. :confused:

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

Michael,
If your knife tested HRC 49.5 you got A LEMON!

I would like very much to know the hardness of ZDP-Delica. The same as ZDP Caly jr.? HRC 64/65?

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Well it seems that the knives don't fit well in the testing machine so rather than continuing to put marks all over my knives I'll just call it a failed experiment. :o :spyder:

Lur Kingman

Post by Lur Kingman »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Well it seems that the knives don't fit well in the testing machine so rather than continuing to put marks all over my knives I'll just call it a failed experiment. :o :spyder:
I am sure the MANix benefits from a few character scratches... :)
Everyone should have an iDelica. :spyder: