Lava!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

dialex wrote: Who knows, maybe Sal will drop some serrations there too :)
I'm hoping that soooooooo much too :D

BTW thanks for the in hand pics Chad. Looks very ergonomic ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

Chad,

You and I don't know each other as I have only recently joined the forum & :spyder: family, but I too wish to say congratulations!!. I think your signature line says it all. Keep trusting in Him Bro.

Thanks for sharing your talents with us here. Thanks for doing what you do everyday. Blessing & prayers of safety out to you.

I will definitly be in line for one when they are available.
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

AUXCOM wrote:Chad,

You and I don't know each other as I have only recently joined the forum & :spyder: family, but I too wish to say congratulations!!. I think your signature line says it all. Keep trusting in Him Bro.

Thanks for sharing your talents with us here. Thanks for doing what you do everyday. Blessing & prayers of safety out to you.

I will definitly be in line for one when they are available.
Aloha AUXCOM,

Mahalo for your words of support, and for knowing Him. Also, thanks for being a fellow Clipiteer! :)

God bless you and yours,
Chad :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

Rushing off to ****, but I managed some in hand shots, showing the grip options of the C110 Lava.

Shown are the Standard Grip which feels like it is a part of you, Extended Index Grip for extra reach and actually cuts where you point, Extended Thumb Grip for more reach and for more pressure, Heavy Downward Grip, and Detail/Skinning Grip. Explainations given if needed later on... :o

Shown following are the Reverse Grip, the Szabo-ish grip (he advocated holding the C29 in this manner), and be advised that I have used along with the Standard grip, the reverse and Szabo with SD intent at 100% on my CNT Dummy. Even though this is an SS model, due to it's shape, I feel comfortable going full power with it. Now shown, is a pic of the Lava "cutting on a flat" surface. Notice how much finger clearance is allowed! As Kristi stated, "It feels like a natural extension of the hand." Little did I know that when I submitted my concept to sal, I was wandering into what Ed refers to as the "negative blade angle zone". ;) The "dip" behind the cusp of the RoundHole allows one to pull back on a cut, and the cusp allows one to push forward...it was this feature that attracted sal, and i am blessed in that he "saw it". ;)

Anyway, hope to see you all later, IF they let me come home. :mad: Thanks again everyone for your support and interest in the C110. One thing however...

Do not try to conform your hand to the Lava, allow it to conform to yours. In other words, don't try to force your hand to fit the shape of the C110. Simply play with it awhile and it will find YOUR hand, and where it fits best...amazing.

Mahalo much for reading and again, for all your support, and thanks :spyder: !

God bless and take care everyone,
Chad :cool:
Attachments
110SkinningDetailgrip.jpg
110SkinningDetailgrip.jpg (69.18 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
110HeavyCutGrip.jpg
110HeavyCutGrip.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
110ExtendedThumb.jpg
110ExtendedThumb.jpg (76.69 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
110ExtendedIndex.jpg
110ExtendedIndex.jpg (74.03 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
110NormalGrip.jpg
110NormalGrip.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

The other pics...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Here are the other pics mentioned...

Thanks for reading and God bless :cool:
Attachments
110CuttingOnFlat.jpg
110CuttingOnFlat.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
110SzaboishGrip.jpg
110SzaboishGrip.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
110ReverseGrip.jpg
110ReverseGrip.jpg (69.81 KiB) Viewed 2062 times

raven

Post by raven »

Hey Chad, Thanks for Sharing the Awsome Pix Bro. I like the Reverse Grip. It appears the hand just flows with the Natural Ergos of your hand. Not many knives do that, CONGRATS Bro. Another Home Run. ;) Prayers Sent. Take Good Care and Be Safe.

God Bless and 360IJN :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

This is not making the wait any easier Chad :p ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
jbake

Post by jbake »

Very Nice ;)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanks very much for the great pics Chad :cool: :cool:

Take care in ****.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha guys,

Mahalo much! This C110, if I may say, is one of the more...interesting Spyders to be held in hand...however, isn't this a "normal thing" for :spyder: ? I mean, look at the Dodo, Scorpious, Shabaria... ;)

It is also the only :spyder: model that has what I coined the "I.T.R"...Index/Thumb Ramp, which allows one to not only have a something to push on when cutting, but to pull on as well. As Ed said, it is a high leverage design.

Even though I only recently received a production sample of the C110 Lava, it feels like I had it forever. ;)

God bless, and I'll try to get a few more comparison shots...
:cool:

Michael Cook

Forum Knife '06!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Wowsers, now that I've seen these in hand pics I think I'm in love! This knife looks just incredible! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: It seems like this would also work really well carried open as a neck knife. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

Chad,

The more pictures I see, the more I know I must have one or two or more... The Lava is PERFECT for EDC in an offfice (I think) where I'll be living soon. Can't wait! All those grip options... it will take me a month just to figure it all out! :D Here's the GREAT success and G-10!!!
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

Chad,
Congratulations and great looking design! I can't wait to get one in hand and try it out! Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but what is the weight on this?
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
spygent

Post by spygent »

MikeG1P315 wrote: The Lava is PERFECT for EDC in an offfice (I think) where I'll be living soon. Can't wait!
Me too!

I love my current (office) EDC - Delica 4 SS, but I surely look forward to that baby! Ambidextrous tip up too, nice. I would prefer a little bigger hole, as on new SS Navigator (which is great too, but unfortunately isn't ambidextrous)

WTG, Chad! :)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

b-elliott wrote:Chad,
Congratulations and great looking design! I can't wait to get one in hand and try it out! Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but what is the weight on this?
Aloha b-elliot,

Well, if you missed it, so did I! :o I think the forum goddess Tazkristi would know the exact specs such as weight of the Lava. Sorry I couldn't help out with your question. :(

BTW, again, mahalo everyone for your great replies! This is very *exciting*, and July seems SO far away. :p

God bless :cool:

smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

You know it's kinda funny. Usually when someone mentions the 110, they're talking about the Buck 110. ;)

It's only a matter of time before mentioning that number will cause knife knuts everywhere to immediately think of the CLB designed Spyderco Lava, and not that "other" knife ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Tank

Post by Tank »

Great pictures Chad. :D .... I year Yoda in my head...Patience..... you must learn patience.... :D Its only a few months away.
-John
eda-koppo

Post by eda-koppo »

Any chance of this coming in Almite or Tuffram? Given size and ergo characteristics, might be an ideal money clip knife that can still serve as a defensive backup ("Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" recently had an article on this, featuring the Co-Pilot and the SS Cricket). If only in all-steel, I suppose I could have it drilled out some.

Also, what's the weight on the steel version? If it's in the Navigator ballpark, may not need alteration, but I recently tried a Robin for this and it was too heavy.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I just saw the in-hand pics. I tell you, if I don't look at every single thread, every single day, I end up missing something.

That knife looks great in the hand, but then that what I expected from DAYWALKER.

Thanks for the pics my friend.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis