"We stopped carrying Spydercos"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eyefloater

"We stopped carrying Spydercos"

Post by eyefloater »

Note: I live in Toronto, Ontario.

I just got home from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op). Like the name implies, this is a an "outdoor gear" store with locations across Canada. They sell things like climbing, hiking, kayaking, cycling, etc. equipment. I stopped in tonight for a few things, one of which was a Spyderco Delica 4 (I've been having a hard time tracking one down locally).

I took a look at the display cases, didn't see what I was looking for and asked a salesman nearby if they stocked Spyderco knives.

"Ya, we stopped carrying them."

His voice reeked of "liability issues" and into my head popped some comments from these forums: it's always a Spyderco that gets used in a movie when they need a scary looking knife. I glanced over at a spinning SAK display and of course there's a Victorinox one-hand Trekker (serrated blade). I swiveled the case around toward the guy and asked him if it was because Spydercos had scary looking serrations and could be opened with one hand.

"Well, we got some pressure from the police. Spydercos are just a bit too easy to get open. Europe Bound across the street's not really carrying them anymore either."

So what gives, has anyone else experienced this? I don't know whether to chalk this up to one person perpetuating a rumour (maybe MEC just stopped carrying Spyderco knives because they could get a better deal on other brands or the sales weren't high enough). It's hard to believe that police would be pressuring an outdoor equipment chain like MEC to stop carrying a specific brand of knives that can be picked up at the local Wal-Mart. But maybe that really is what's happening.

Discuss away,

- eyefloater
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

That is awful!!!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think it has alot to do with the latest Canadian laws -- no centrifugal opening. Forumites have had many :spyder: s seized in recent months because the customs officer(s) could "flick" them open.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

MEC has never been much of a knife dealer anyway. SAKs, a few multi-tools and a K.I.S.S. or two.

There was a hardware store in Mackinaw City Michigan (about 50 miles away) that used to stock a few Spyderco models. They still stock lots of knives, particularly Case and CRKT, but no Spyderco. I asked about the change and they said people weren't buying them so they quit stocking them.

Changes like this happen for a number of different reasons, but usually it's sales. Now I just hope that everybody doesn't quit buying from NGK :eek:
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
deeker

Post by deeker »

That news doesn't really surprise me with MEC having the tree-huggin', leaf-lickin' type of 'environmentalist/activist' type of slant to their co-op. Maybe a few calls to the other outdoor stores or the odd gun shop (they still have some in TO) to see whether they carry them or not.

I haven't had any issues getting any of my Spydies across the border, and a few have been opened and inspected by Customs Officers. That might be your best bet if you can't find anyone local.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Maybe with the new government in power, these situations might change. I would think that might just be the attitudes of those at MEC as I can get Spydies ordered in from my local Scout shop(their prices are the best I've found yet,as well!).
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

That really sucks, I hope it's all because of business reasons, and not because of police pressure, because that would be more than a little messed up.

The original version of this post had a lot of profanity and :mad: , but I went back and made it a little more mature.

Still really sucks though...
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
thom lambert

Post by thom lambert »

I believe that MEC had to go to court to show that spydies were not illegal knives. The story I heard - from a past employee - is that their stock got seized after a plainclothes cop went into one of the stores and asked about them. He got a demonstration from an employee that could "flick" open one of the stock spydies. That led to the cop seizing some stock as "centrifugal opening knives". I believe that MEC prevailed in the end. I don't know why they don't carry them anymore.

LeBarons has a great selection of spydies, at very good prices. There is another good knife store, right on Yonge street: Central Surplus, I believe.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

It’s not at all unlikely that this could have been a result of pressure by authorities. About five years ago, Kershaw stopped selling their Speedsafe knives in Michigan for just that reason. Word was that one of the police higher ups in our county was in Galvan’s and saw a Speedsafe that lead to it. I called Kershaw to verify what happened and was told that the DA from our county (who happens to be a republicrat) put the pressure on Kershaw, and Kershaw just didn’t want to fight that battle. The person at Kershaw who I talked to even knew the DA’s name. Michigan law doesn’t prohibit these any less than it prohibits a Case Peanut (even if it did, such would be unConstitutional), but that didn‘t matter to our local rulers. Needed to keep the masses in thier proper place I suppose :( .
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

ghostrider wrote:It’s not at all unlikely that this could have been a result of pressure by authorities. About five years ago, Kershaw stopped selling their Speedsafe knives in Michigan for just that reason. Word was that one of the police higher ups in our county was in Galvan’s and saw a Speedsafe that lead to it. I called Kershaw to verify what happened and was told that the DA from our county (who happens to be a republicrat) put the pressure on Kershaw, and Kershaw just didn’t want to fight that battle. The person at Kershaw who I talked to even knew the DA’s name. Michigan law doesn’t prohibit these any less than it prohibits a Case Peanut (even if it did, such would be unConstitutional), but that didn‘t matter to our local rulers. Needed to keep the masses in thier proper place I suppose :( .
My little brother just bought a "speed safe" Chive last week around here. So they are still for sale in Michigan.

I also bought a Craftsman branded "speed safe" Scallion at sears about a year or so ago. I think they are still available.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

JLannoo wrote:I bought a Craftsman branded "speed safe" Scallion at sears about a year or so ago. I think they are still available.
True, they are available. However, around 2001-2002, they were not nearly as available here. Kershaw wouldn't ship them here, and SMKW's catelog specifically stated that they would not ship them here. If you'd been looking around the different shows, you'd notice that there are a lot more of them now than there was then. Most people in the industry knew where this came from, so as you went towards the eastern part of the state, you would see more of them, but those were guys who ordered from places like BRK (I don't believe they had a restriction on MI like SMKW and Kershaw).

This lasted maybe a year, and then I noticed they started showing up in local shops again.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

ghostrider wrote:True, they are available.....
Ok :) From your post I read it as though You had thought they were still unavailable. They Are cool knives. My spydies open just as fast though ;)
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

[quote="JLannoo"]Ok :) From your post I read it as though You had thought they were still unavailable. They Are cool knives. My spydies open just as fast though ]
That's the truth, and you don't have to worry about a spring breaking at the most inoportune moment. ;)
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

death-bringah

Beware!

Post by death-bringah »

smcfalls13 wrote:That really sucks, I hope it's all because of business reasons, and not because of police pressure, because that would be more than a little messed up.

Sadly, it wasn’t for business reasons. The government, armed forces, and police are determined to “disarm the populace”, law-abiding or not. (Even if you ARE just a tree-hugger, which I am! :eek: )

Every time "something happens" with a knife in toronto, they’ll put a cop on the news, saying how dangerous and illegal pocketknives are.

I remember a few years ago there was a news story about police seizing “flick-knives” from stores all over toronto…these were mostly elcheapos, and I was surprised to learn that they had also taken aim at higher quality folders sold in outdoor gear stores of all kinds…your tax-dollars at work!

In addition to Le Baron, in Mississauga, check out “S and R knives”, also in Mississauga…higher prices, but they are willing to barter a fair bit.

take care...d
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

death-bringah wrote:Every time "something happens" with a knife in toronto, they’ll put a cop on the news, saying how dangerous and illegal pocketknives are.
Seems to be a common tactic throughout the English speaking world as well. Blame the inanimate object, not the perp. :rolleyes: :mad:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:Blame the inanimate object, not the perp. :rolleyes: :mad:
Criminal don't kill people, guns and knives do ;)

Can't claim credit for this, I heard it somewhere, but that's like blaming spelling errors on your pencil.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

Sounds like they want C-Land to be a wimpy as E-Land.
dialex

Post by dialex »

[quote="ghostrider"]That's the truth, and you don't have to worry about a spring breaking at the most inoportune moment. ]

That is correct too. I love my Chive, it's a cool little knife, but the spring breaks much too easily. :(
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
CKE

Post by CKE »

Police pressure! I was talking to a Europe Bound salesman and he said that some cops came in a gave them a big hassle. Told them they were illegal. Mec to my recollection has never carried Spyderco. Central Surplus has em, but they are expensive. S&R is good and they will deal, don't get sticker shock if you see a price on something. Le Barons has a good selection and awesome prices. I have been to many knife shops across Canada and LeBarons is the cheapest.

You will find now I think more than ever places sticking to their higher prices because of Customs delays and problems. I was talking to a knife shop owner and they never had problems but since my last visit and this past one they have had trouble.

Hopefully this Conservative minority Gov't will make some changes :rolleyes:
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

I suspect Thom may have it right regarding a court case or it was a matter of MEC just not having the sales in respect to Victorinox to keep spydercos stocked. Or it could have something to do with the change in directors every few years. It has been a long time since you could get a spyder at the Calgary MEC.

As far as being as wimpy as some other country, I don't want to start to compare our moronic goings-on with anyone else, because I think we might just win :) . I am most impressed with the recent siezure of a CF millie by the crack crew at the border thereby depriving one of the most "law and order" citizens of Canada of any chance to do evil. Good job lads, who can gauge just how much crime has been prevented? :rolleyes: .

Sorry folks, political rant off :) .
WTC #1455